Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X2 and G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wanted an X3 period with aftermarket heads you are looking to flycut the pistons, the larger valves in the new head will run you into problems with the lift these cams have. I know the X2 will work, a guy has one on an A4 with aftermarket heads.

As for the 112LSA, yeah that's cutting it close too, on a stock head it's doable but close. You would have to flycut with that on a X3/aftermarket heads combo, I don't know about the X2/aftermarket combo though. Mike will tell you for sure!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
If you wanted an X3 period with aftermarket heads you are looking to flycut the pistons, the larger valves in the new head will run you into problems with the lift these cams have. I know the X2 will work, a guy has one on an A4 with aftermarket heads.

As for the 112LSA, yeah that's cutting it close too, on a stock head it's doable but close. You would have to flycut with that on a X3/aftermarket heads combo, I don't know about the X2/aftermarket combo though. Mike will tell you for sure!
Awesome responses.

1) im assuming the X3 114 cam will NOT require fly cutting anything on the stock untouched heads?

2) Im in texas and I dynoed 380rwhp and 363 on current setup (in sig) what would I dyno with an X3 114 cam swap? Im using 93 octane here and would a set of rockers make even more power - if so how much?

3) How long would those springs last? how soon do I need to change them?

4) NO SHAKE??????? my cam shakes like a **** rattles all the pennies in the cup holder and ****. You guys sure its just like stock?? Im guessing I might not have a perfect tune?

5) how much would this X3 114 cam make with a good set of heads (TEA 2.5s or ported LS6 heads) ?

its time i drove to dallas and dropped my car there already.. 410 rwhp sounds like a piece of cake without having to remove cats, needing a tb, needing an electric water pump.

Wish I could go in y'alls cars for a ride.. i know i would be a customer if i liked it... hell id wanna race and just see the difference and tape it to know how faster ill be with the x3 cam...

ok ok im getting too excited i better shut up

Last edited by 2002_TAWS6; 05-31-2004 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

OH yeah dont forget to get us some videos!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

1.) Correct
2.) ****** j/k hehe TX joke Can't tell you for sure, depends on the day, weather, tune, etc. More is all I can tell you Hopefully roughly 20 RWHP.
3.) A long time, it's a spring made for .650 lift, the cam I guess is in the .620 lift area at most, so you have plenty of spring left. Mike has 10k+ on his and they are perfect still. For your own comfort, maybe change them every 2 years (shrug)
4.) There's shake don't get us wrong, but it's not any worse than my 224/228 cam was, and that was a 112.
5.) Can't say for sure again, but probably an easy 450 RWHP or more!
Old 05-31-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Videos = We will! You can count on that!!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

I have a G5X2 going in my car tomorrow along with the Comp 921 spring kit and ASP underdrive pulley. I hope to make some awesome power with my setup. Motor/drivetrain mods as it sits now:

2002 TransAm: WS6, Direct Flo lid w/ Holley filter, Brian Green Ram Air, LS6 MAF, Shaner S2, QTP 1 3/4" LT Stainless Headers w/ turbulence spike & high velocity merge collectors, Lane's 3" true-duals into 2.5" Dynomax mufflers (14" long), Ram VDS clutch setup, custom Ford 8.8" rearend w/ 4.10 gears.

I'm making 350rwhp 360rwtq with above (keep in mind the built rearend w/ 4.10s). I hope to make some good numbers and will definetly let yall know the results.

Brandon.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds real similiar to Mike's setup minus the WS6 part and QTP's, which he has coming, so I know you will make some power!! I wouldn't be suprised at all with an easy 400 RWHP pull after you are done, you have some awesome numbers as it is, you're going to love that cam. Please post up when you are done and let us know what you think.

Be sure that ASP pulley is tight as a mother ******, get some lock tight or something on that crank bolt when you install it, mine backed out the first time I got on the car after installing the X3. The damn ASP pulley almost fell off, needless to say, my belt sure didn't make it We put blue locktight on the bolt, reinstalled it and it hasn't moved at all.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
Awesome responses.

1) im assuming the X3 114 cam will NOT require fly cutting anything on the stock untouched heads?

2) Im in texas and I dynoed 380rwhp and 363 on current setup (in sig) what would I dyno with an X3 114 cam swap? Im using 93 octane here and would a set of rockers make even more power - if so how much?

3) How long would those springs last? how soon do I need to change them?

4) NO SHAKE??????? my cam shakes like a **** rattles all the pennies in the cup holder and ****. You guys sure its just like stock?? Im guessing I might not have a perfect tune?

5) how much would this X3 114 cam make with a good set of heads (TEA 2.5s or ported LS6 heads) ?

its time i drove to dallas and dropped my car there already.. 410 rwhp sounds like a piece of cake without having to remove cats, needing a tb, needing an electric water pump.

Wish I could go in y'alls cars for a ride.. i know i would be a customer if i liked it... hell id wanna race and just see the difference and tape it to know how faster ill be with the x3 cam...

ok ok im getting too excited i better shut up
1)Correct!
2) usually anyone wiht 28+ degrees of timing and decent gas cranks out 420+ as long as supporting mods are there like headers and such... but no real guarentees! Lou has seen some big numbers in texas for sure!
3) im at 20,000 miles and going... and I put 100+ on the car every day...
4) EVERY X3 ive done had no shake... maybe we just have a good tuner but ive had no issues so far
5) Far as I know hte current dyno record is held by the G5X3 for heads/cam... so I guess the possibilities are endless
Old 05-31-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Brandon98TA
I have a G5X2 going in my car tomorrow along with the Comp 921 spring kit and ASP underdrive pulley. I hope to make some awesome power with my setup. Motor/drivetrain mods as it sits now:

2002 TransAm: WS6, Direct Flo lid w/ Holley filter, Brian Green Ram Air, LS6 MAF, Shaner S2, QTP 1 3/4" LT Stainless Headers w/ turbulence spike & high velocity merge collectors, Lane's 3" true-duals into 2.5" Dynomax mufflers (14" long), Ram VDS clutch setup, custom Ford 8.8" rearend w/ 4.10 gears.

I'm making 350rwhp 360rwtq with above (keep in mind the built rearend w/ 4.10s). I hope to make some good numbers and will definetly let yall know the results.

Brandon.
I made 337 rwhp with all my bolt ons out here tuned... after the cam it went to 412 rwhp still stock heads.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... if the X2 kicks in sooner, but cuts off sooner, the X3 kicks in later, but pulls longer, the X2 has more lower end, and the X3 has more higher end, then the X3 would be better for street racing, while the X2 would be better for drag racing? Does that sound right? I am currently looking for the ultimate drag cam for stock heads. Ive had quite a few people already recommend me the X2, but then I just had someone recommend the X3. Well from reading this thread, it seems like the X2 would be a better drag cam. Whats the LSA on the X2 and is there any advance ground into it? Im really considering one of these cams, I would just like someone to clear things up for me. Thanks a lot. By the way, I plan to do more gear and converter in the near future.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Ok... if the X2 kicks in sooner, but cuts off sooner, the X3 kicks in later, but pulls longer, the X2 has more lower end, and the X3 has more higher end, then the X3 would be better for street racing, while the X2 would be better for drag racing? Does that sound right? I am currently looking for the ultimate drag cam for stock heads. Ive had quite a few people already recommend me the X2, but then I just had someone recommend the X3. Well from reading this thread, it seems like the X2 would be a better drag cam. Whats the LSA on the X2 and is there any advance ground into it? Im really considering one of these cams, I would just like someone to clear things up for me. Thanks a lot. By the way, I plan to do more gear and converter in the near future.
for an Auto car the X2 is better.. for a 6 speed car with some gears, I Would say X3
Old 05-31-2004, 04:20 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
for an Auto car the X2 is better.. for a 6 speed car with some gears, I Would say X3
So would you say 3.73's (like yourself) or 4.10's with the X3?
Old 05-31-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
So would you say 3.73's (like yourself) or 4.10's with the X3?
I chose 3.73s because with the large supra crowd here we do a lot of freeway racing... so I Wanted my top end. I personally prefer 4.10s with this cam though because I Think they are incredible! But no complaints with the 3.73s
Old 05-31-2004, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
I made 337 rwhp with all my bolt ons out here tuned... after the cam it went to 412 rwhp still stock heads.
That gives me high hopes for some big Texas numbers.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:39 PM
Launching!

I have a graph of mine and a friends G5X-2 cams overlayed if anyone wants to see it. I will have to e-mail it and someone would have to host it.

01 C5 and an 01 Z06 both on stock heads.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

Why do you say X2 for an auto. and X3 for a manual?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Only because the X3 likes to spin a little higher, but the X2 is perfectly suitable for either application, just depends on how high you want the rpms to go.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Most people dont have huge converters, so the chance for a little lugging down low with the X3 is more possible... no clutch to slip so if the car goes into OD and drops to around 1200 rpm it could cause some stumble... with the X2 the power comes in sooner and that chance is pretty much eliminated... Ive never had a problem with either but I just feel the X2 would be a better choice for an Auto...
Old 05-31-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put the X2 in my car a few weeks ago. ASP Pulley not installed yet, no ported TB, FLP Headers through full exhaust with 11:1 A/F ratio put down 386rwhp. Cam sounds bad *** at idle, drives great and pulls hard at WOT. Just installed my Patriot 5.3l Race heads this weekend and DAMN they woke this car up. I should be hitting the dyno here in the next week or so, i'll hafta post up some reults.

I looked into the X3 but prefered to have a cam on a 112. Wasn't too fond of the idea of flycutting pistons yet, plus I liked some of the descriptions I've heard about the X2. Of the 3 camms I've had, I like this one the best so far
Old 05-31-2004, 11:13 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So with my "hypothetical" setup I want...

Long tubes with cats, GMMG, lid, ported TB, LS6 intake, ASP pulley

What cam would be best for me?

It's a M6 and I drive it every day (I put about 20-30 miles on every day). I have 14,5xx miles so far. I like to hit the track, but I find myself more and more racing on the street (stupid, I know ) and running it up to 140 frequently.

I like that the X2 gives the low end torque and will give me an off idle torque feel like a LT1, but I also like how the X3 will rev way out for those top speed runs. I'm also worried with this 112 and 114 stuff. I don't want to mess with anything on the bottom end, and it'll be awhile before I touch the heads. I will do rods and whatever else is recommended with a cam swap though.

Sorry for my ignorance here, but i'm finally past learning the bolt on's and I'm trying to get into the major stuff.

Quick Reply: G5X2 and G5X3