Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X3 -vs- F13

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
Amoco 93 oct, drove it off the street with my tune made 428 right off the street let mike from GMMG fool with it and thats the numbers i got, i think the timing it somewhere around 29 degrees....mine is also through a moser 12 bolt 390s heavy focking 18" z06s with airfilter in there
I cant run over 23 degrees of timing and have to keep at around 12:1 AFR or I ping like crazy
Old 05-31-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Why wouldn't it? It has harder lobes, it's bigger, and has 4 degrees advance built into it. Sounds like a recipe for low-end power. As for my opinion, I would conclude that the FMS cam would make better low-end in the same application. Only diffrence being the cams. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing the LG cams. They make good power, and I'm a former X-3 owner. I just think the FMS cams have a little more thought behind them and not just 2 XE-R lober stuck together with some advance built in. Any of us could do that.
Im sure Lou just slapped some numbers on paper... so when are you going to start selling your cams?
Old 05-31-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

The X3 is bigger in all aspects of the cam. I believe that is the only reason it would win. If you called allan and had him make you up a FM14, it would be over with. Like i said, there is more thought put into the FMS cams. I still believe the FM13 would win in a low-end battle, all aspects being the same.
So call Allen and do it, come to AZ and challange my dyno. Prove Lou doesnt know what hes doing and just slaps numbers down with something that you yourself could grind without thinking twice
Old 05-31-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
yea my F13 has crappy low end torque look at my graph
the very beginning is partial throttle350rwtq at 3000 aint too shabby to be going through a 12 bolt on 18 inch wheels air filter in place
Keep in mind that you are comparing two completly different climates...
yours on 29 degrees of timing, low altitudes, 93 octane etc....
mine on 23-24 degres, high DA, 91 octane with MTBE etc... Your numbers will be SIGNIFICANTLY lower here. In Texas Lou consistently makes 440-450 rwhp in the Z06 cars with stock heads... but of course thats with 94 octane and real timing. Compare two like climates and I Think the G5X3s will come out on top. Im not ragging on the F13, I just feel Lous cam is superior here for my personal needs (And that of every customer of mine ive installed one in)
Old 05-31-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am with Mike on this one personally since I own the cam and it works for me, but the F13 seems like a bad *** cam too, never seen on done here in AZ though. There is no way to compare these really, both make good power, but it's hard to get accurate results on a stupid dyno. You can have some jerk off mess with the dyno and you can make a million HP, but what counts is at the track, supposedly so far the fastest LS1 N/A stock cubes, etc etc, runs a G5X2 cam, what else can do you need. I am sure there are faster cars, but this cam performs. My car is not the best dyno car, and I wish it were so I can brag my *** off, but I know it will perform on the street/strip and that's what counts. I have seen a car that has 650 RWHP run a 13 at the track, driver sucks ***, but he has 650 RWHP The only way to see which cam is really better or makes more power is to dyno one, swap it out on the same car with the other cam, the same day, as fast as you can, then redyno it. Not gonna happen, so I guess be happy and choose wisely

Last edited by Orange Peel; 05-31-2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

I can swap the cam in under 2 hours Send me a F13 and I will do the dyno on the same day, same dyno...
Old 05-31-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

hehe You would be so nuts to do that too
Old 05-31-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
So call Allen and do it, come to AZ and challange my dyno. Prove Lou doesnt know what hes doing and just slaps numbers down with something that you yourself could grind without thinking twice
I never said anything bad about Lou. Like I said, I used to have the X3. As far as me grinding my own cams, yes I now prefer to use my own knowledge and get my own specs ground. Does it mean I am a cam guru, not by any means. Lots of people on this board have "custom cams" ground to there spec that are very similar to X3 specs, and they don't even know what the specs on the X3 are. So are they now cam wizards, or did they just decide on 2 XE-r lobes with a favorable split, add 4 degrees advance, and call it custom. You have your opinion and I have mine. Maybe we don't see eye to eye, but in a debate, who does? I like LG and FMS, but I lean more to one side. No need to take offense.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

I never said anything bad about Lou. Like I said, I used to have the X3. As far as me grinding my own cams, yes I now prefer to use my own knowledge and get my own specs ground. Does it mean I am a cam guru, not by any means. Lots of people on this board have "custom cams" ground to there spec that are very similar to X3 specs, and they don't even know what the specs on the X3 are. So are they now cam wizards, or did they just decide on 2 XE-r lobes with a favorable split, add 4 degrees advance, and call it custom. You have your opinion and I have mine. Maybe we don't see eye to eye, but in a debate, who does? I like LG and FMS, but I lean more to one side. No need to take offense.
I take offense because you act like Lou just threw a design out there that anyone could do, yet no one has topped yet. Now AFTER he made his cam people are copying the design and having custom cams made. Funny that before him it seemed like breaking 400 cam only was a myth and 10s werent possible cam only... now AFTER his cam 10s have been done, 500 rwhp with heads and cam has been done and he set the new benchmark for custom cams. I personally say hes a freakin genius for designing the cam the way he did... but I guess in your eyes he just got lucky... 3 times straight that is with the G5, G5X2 and G5X3!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

No, I don't think he got lucky. He came out with a cam that was bigger than everyone elses at the time. He advanced it 4 degrees to keep diriveability good and make monster low-end power. Is it a recipe for 4oo rwhp, sure. Maybe he paved the road for the bigger cam crowd. I wish the numbers were more repaetable than they have been. As for the X2 and 3, there the same cam. If you have something that works good, X2, lets just add 2 degrees of duration to it and call it something else and keep the specs secret. Lots of thought, or a good marketing ploy? You be the judge. I'm not going to bicker with you. I'll just keep grinding my own stuff, but wait, it has a foward split, xe-r lobes, and some advance, so I guess I'm just copying. Just when I thought I was doing something good.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

No, I don't think he got lucky. He came out with a cam that was bigger than everyone elses at the time. He advanced it 4 degrees to keep diriveability good and make monster low-end power. Is it a recipe for 4oo rwhp, sure. Maybe he paved the road for the bigger cam crowd. I wish the numbers were more repaetable than they have been. As for the X2 and 3, there the same cam. If you have something that works good, X2, lets just add 2 degrees of duration to it and call it something else and keep the specs secret. Lots of thought, or a good marketing ploy? You be the judge. I'm not going to bicker with you. I'll just keep grinding my own stuff, but wait, it has a foward split, xe-r lobes, and some advance, so I guess I'm just copying. Just when I thought I was doing something good.
ive done over 10 of his cams... all within 5-10 horse of each other depending on mods... dont know how you say they arent repeatable numbers... And just because you can copy his cam and change it a bit, that makes you a cam guru? so if his cam never came out and you ground one off a TR cam, is TR now just lucky as well? Maybe you should see if Lou is hiring, then you can get paid for making better cams!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh now I'm copying? Other people, maybe, but I had cams with similar specs long before the X2 or 3 ever thought about coming out. The same specs, no, but similar. I'm starting to take offense cause it sounds like your saying every person who now comes out with a spec is copying. If he never came out with the X-series cams, mine would still look the same. I believe in a certain pattern and don't feel the need to have to mimick what others do. Once again, I'm no guru, but I have a pretty good idea of what works and dosen't.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Oh now I'm copying? Other people, maybe, but I had cams with similar specs long before the X2 or 3 ever thought about coming out. The same specs, no, but similar. I'm starting to take offense cause it sounds like your saying every person who now comes out with a spec is copying. If he never came out with the X-series cams, mine would still look the same. I believe in a certain pattern and don't feel the need to have to mimick what others do. Once again, I'm no guru, but I have a pretty good idea of what works and dosen't.
Whatever works
Old 05-31-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Real quick question...how much are these cams going for? I can't find them on LG's site and have been told because he doesn't put them on the site. The Futral site is being updated so no prices there either. Also, on average, what are you looking at paying to get one of these installed?

TIA,
Justin
Old 05-31-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
Real quick question...how much are these cams going for? I can't find them on LG's site and have been told because he doesn't put them on the site. The Futral site is being updated so no prices there either. Also, on average, what are you looking at paying to get one of these installed?

TIA,
Justin
If you come to AZ I can quote you pricing, but im not a sponsor on here so I dont sell... but call Lou for pricing on his stuff! Im sure he will crack you a deal on a package with cam and springs/pushrods!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, no wonder my ears were burning. FMS cams kick ***.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1

TIA,
Justin
All of our FMS hydraulic cams are $399, we do have a few different cam packages. You will probably be happy with either cam but if you have any questions or would like more info just give us a call.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Candy
All of our FMS hydraulic cams are $399, we do have a few different cam packages. You will probably be happy with either cam but if you have any questions or would like more info just give us a call.
Thanks for your response Candy, I'll definitely keep FMS in mind whenever I'm ready to cam the car. Wish I could say that was now, but I have many little things to attend to first.

Thanks again,
Justin

Quick Reply: G5X3 -vs- F13