Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 for my 67 --- Need some build advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 for my 67 --- Need some build advice

The LS world is huge with options, I have an LQ9 from an 03 Escalade for my 67 camaro. It is a whole dropout motor, with accessories, wiring harness, ECM, and pedal assy. It is the iron 6.0 block with 317 casting aluminum heads, and a truck style intake. The motor has 120k on it. I've built plenty of engines before, but all old style small and big blocks.
First question (I guess kinda obvious, but figured I'd ask), is it worth breaking it all down and doing new bearings, rings, and gaskets.
Second, I've heard many people going with the L92 heads with an LS3 intake, Is there that much more of a power difference over the 317 heads and a FAST intake?
Third, cam and rocker arm setup? out of the million choices, I want a proven stout motor. Not a daily driver, but ride like one. It may see an occasional track day (drag or road course) but mostly just cruise around town with some mean power and a burnout at the snap of a throttle.

I am going to back it with a T56 6speed (don't have one yet, so if you have any leads on one, it would be appreciated). I am unsure what gear I'll put in it, but we will see how everything else falls into place.

I'm not looking to get "800 RWHP on stock bottom end!!!" , but would like a strong running 400+ hp at the wheels.

Thanks for any advise. If I left anything out that is info you need, let me know. Its a work in progress, so plenty of time for changes and decisions.

Finally, not looking to spend a fortune right now, I know I need to put some money into it now, but with that and finishing the car, I just want a strong reliable engine. Once it's on the road a year or two, I'll pull it and consider the turbo, supercharger, or stroking it.

Last edited by nestico77; 05-19-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: other info
Old 05-19-2015, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id swap the 317's for a set of 243's and do like a 228r cam from texas speed. Should make over 400rwhp and be a good sounding combo. I wouldnt worry about the ls3 style heads unless you bore and or stroke the engine.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You could make 400 rwhp with just a cam only if you want to save even more
Old 05-19-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll go a different direction as the two guys above and advise you to run the LS3 style heads and LS3 intake. The LS3 heads and intake will require a different type of cam, but there are off the shelf cams out there for those heads, or you could just get a custom grind cam from a guy like Ed Curtis, Martin Smallwood, Texas Speed, etc. You'll easily be over 400 rwhp, and likely be closer to 450 rwhp.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

What kind of budget are you looking to have for the engine? I know you said "Not a fortune," but "fortune" can mean six different things to six different people.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:44 PM
Teching In

That's a good point. I'd like to stick within the $1000 - $1500 range if possible. However, if there is an idea that I like, I can be flexible.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Get your heads cnc'd .The 317 heads are just as good as the 243's except they have a bigger combustion chamber.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Default Super hare now, build later

Originally Posted by nestico77
The LS world is huge with options, I have an LQ9 from an 03 Escalade for my 67 camaro. It is a whole dropout motor, with accessories, wiring harness, ECM, and pedal assy. It is the iron 6.0 block with 317 casting aluminum heads, and a truck style intake. The motor has 120k on it. I've built plenty of engines before, but all old style small and big blocks.
First question (I guess kinda obvious, but figured I'd ask), is it worth breaking it all down and doing new bearings, rings, and gaskets.
Second, I've heard many people going with the L92 heads with an LS3 intake, Is there that much more of a power difference over the 317 heads and a FAST intake?
Third, cam and rocker arm setup? out of the million choices, I want a proven stout motor. Not a daily driver, but ride like one. It may see an occasional track day (drag or road course) but mostly just cruise around town with some mean power and a burnout at the snap of a throttle.

I am going to back it with a T56 6speed (don't have one yet, so if you have any leads on one, it would be appreciated). I am unsure what gear I'll put in it, but we will see how everything else falls into place.

I'm not looking to get "800 RWHP on stock bottom end!!!" , but would like a strong running 400+ hp at the wheels.

Thanks for any advise. If I left anything out that is info you need, let me know. Its a work in progress, so plenty of time for changes and decisions.

Finally, not looking to spend a fortune right now, I know I need to put some money into it now, but with that and finishing the car, I just want a strong reliable engine. Once it's on the road a year or two, I'll pull it and consider the turbo, supercharger, or stroking it.
Blow it now, build it later, up the boost fro 5-10.
See related thread 6.0 to 67 Vette.
As people upgrade superchargers many bargains can be had.
The stock components work fine under 6 psi.
Decide on a belt spacing, head location, pin a SFI balancer to stock crank & go searching here, ebay, LS1TECH...
Old 01-16-2016, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your wanting to go with boost just turbo it.

My 8.1 suburban lived 3-4 years on 15-18 lbs with 78mm turbo. I use some old parts off my supra but long story short you could use that set up and spend $3k and make a lot of power on stock stuff. The suburban set up was "cheap".
I Yed off the headers. To feed the turbo, got a intercooler from cx racing off eBay used a 78mm turbo with .96 ar. 80lb injectors and walbro 38xx in take pump. Also wastegate from cx racing. Blew it threw the stock mass air. No clue the power it was making but 8-9k lifted suburban went 13.2. Using 4hi to launch. Would run 4s to 60 on the street on 35-37" tire.

Here is video, figure a Camaro has to half the weight or more it would be fun, and if / when it comes apart your not out a crap load.
http://youtu.be/oVU7MgzzmgI

Quick Reply: 6.0 for my 67 --- Need some build advice