Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head flow #'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Head flow #'s

I have been looking at a lot of different Cathedral port heads. I noticed most are pretty close in the intake flow #'s but Tony Mamo and Ai seem to have way higher exhaust flow #'s. I was just curious why that is?
Old 08-21-2015, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

LS heads don't have that great of exhaust flow and these heads could use extra help in that department. Thats why a lot of LS cams have bigger duration numbers for the exhaust side. In the "old days" I remember that head porters tried to get the exhaust to flow 85% as much as the intake. Now, too many people just look at intake flow when buying heads, just looking for that "big number".
Old 08-21-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for is my guess
Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
LS heads don't have that great of exhaust flow and these heads could use extra help in that department. Thats why a lot of LS cams have bigger duration numbers for the exhaust side. In the "old days" I remember that head porters tried to get the exhaust to flow 85% as much as the intake. Now, too many people just look at intake flow when buying heads, just looking for that "big number".
That's sort of the fatal flaw on the square ports. Not knocking them, they make great power, but they cam differently, because ratio of flow intake to exhaust is even more disproportionate vs cathedrals.

OP, what you've also pointed out is one of the benefits to aftermarket castings. They can be designed to accommodate different things - line more direct port designs, larger exhaust ports, different angles. There are limits to the stock castings.

And there's a reason Tony gets such crazy numbers on his heads
Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most ported cathedral heads will flow in the 220's-230's at .600" depending on what head you are looking at and what version.
When you add a 1-3/4" pipe the port flows another 20-40cfm again version dependent.
You need to pay attention to many factors when looking at flow numbers
What bench were they flowed on
last time bench was calibrated
bore size head was flowed in
was a pipe used in testing(before and after;what size)
flowed @28?

it's tough to do apples to apples without having the heads you are looking at being tested at the same independent qualified facility.

Flow numbers do not always tell the tale it's another piece if data to base the rest of your parts selection on.
The bottom line is how repeatable a cylinder heads shops work is on vehicle after vehicle.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just make sure you get the cam spec'd for the particular heads you get, and the flow numbers of those heads. Matching the correct cam to the heads is a major part of the game, regardless of what heads you get.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:07 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Lol

Name:  B8A69E23-2DEF-4244-A2A8-8F185D0BB6FB_zpst9w7j6qm.png
Views: 40
Size:  457.8 KB
Old 08-23-2015, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
Most ported cathedral heads will flow in the 220's-230's at .600" depending on what head you are looking at and what version.
When you add a 1-3/4" pipe the port flows another 20-40cfm again version dependent.
You need to pay attention to many factors when looking at flow numbers
What bench were they flowed on
last time bench was calibrated
bore size head was flowed in
was a pipe used in testing(before and after;what size)
flowed @28?

it's tough to do apples to apples without having the heads you are looking at being tested at the same independent qualified facility.

Flow numbers do not always tell the tale it's another piece if data to base the rest of your parts selection on.
The bottom line is how repeatable a cylinder heads shops work is on vehicle after vehicle.
I know it will never happen but it would be nice to see a bunch of different heads flowed on the same machine to really see the differences. I also know flow isn't everything but I have noticed the heads with the bigger exhaust flow #'s seem to do better than the others. And usually do it with a smaller cam.

Quick Reply: Head flow #'s