Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW PRODUCT: MMS 223 cc Sportsman heads!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Default NEW PRODUCT: MMS 223 cc Sportsman heads!!

Guys,

Sorry I haven't been as active on this board as I have in the past....

While most of that is simply due to running Mamo Motorsports full time, part of the reason is the time I have invested working on this new line of "Sportsman" value oriented performance heads which has taken me months to complete and document. While some of you were privy to this information along the way, Im pleased to announce to all of you the program is finally complete and the results have actually slightly surpassed my original goals for the project and I'm really excited about that and the performance potential of these new heads.

Most of you are already familiar with my full CNC line of cathedral heads.....the MMS 220's and the MMS 235's probably the most popular, but like most things in life the quality of the heads and the CNC time required to build them brings a higher price tag with the final product as well. While the performance gains warrant the price of admission, my goal with the new Sportsman line was to produce a head close in flow and performance but offer the consumer a substantial reduction in cost which is always extremely challenging and difficult to do (especially if your as detail oriented as I tend to be and sweat all the details).

My new heads are a bit of a hybrid of sorts incorporating as cast surfaces to save five axis CNC porting time, but they do incorporate full CNC chambers for consistency there (a very critical area for flow and the combustion process). In addition to that the MMS 223 heads will also include hand finishing in the bowls (at no additional cost) creating a seamless blend from the valvejob to the intake and exhaust ports. This process is time consuming but critical to ensure consistency of flow in an as cast port design....without this additional effort, you could leave 10-15 CFM on the table easily due to steps and bad transitions in the most important part of the flow path (air entering and exiting the valvejob).

Let me summarize by saying this....my goal with the less expensive MMS 223 Sportsman head was to get as close in performance/flow as possible to the MMS 220 full CNC piece...both heads designed to optimize any 3.900 bore application, a 346 and a 383 being the most popular. Perhaps one of the best independent results showcasing the potential of the MMS 220 design is DarthV8r's F-Body with a 227 cam that produced a tad short of 500 RWHP; a build that was well documented all along it's journey and a good read for those who missed it. While there are others of notoriety as well, DarthV8r's sticks out as a shining accomplishment of what I always knew the MMS 220 head to be capable of. I knew 500 RWHP with a small cam was within reach because of what I personally achieved a decade ago with the original (and first aftermarket cathedral) head I designed in 2004 (the AFR 205) which produced 475-480 RWHP on a half a dozen different dyno's at the time with only a 224/228 cam (my new MMS 220 and the MMS 223 offering even more potential with an additional 20 CFM of intake airflow).

I say all this to try and convey how good the new Sportsman 223 head actually is and the value play it offers you guys.

Is it as good as the full CNC MMS 220? No....that would not have been realistic but its alot closer than I expected it would be. In fact the intake port, flowed on a 3.900 bore, is about the same (give or take a CFM or two)....some lifts higher, some lifts lower but due to a slightly larger port, is not quite as efficient as the smaller MMS 220 head. The higher lift exhaust flow is where the largest difference lies with similar numbers from .200 - .400 lift....after that the as cast port gives up a little and finishes 10 CFM shy of the full CNC 220 head at .600 lift. When the smoke clears I think the difference in actual performance will be modest and the value this head offers quite apparent.

Here are the numbers on a 3.900 bore.....they flow over 320 CFM in a 4" or larger bore btw and would make an excellent choice for a 6.0 liter motor as well.

Lift......Int.....Exh

The intake port pours exactly 223 cc's when I'm done hence the 223 designation.

(Need to pour the exhaust at some point....its pretty conservative and would work well with a 1.75 header).

Here are a handful of pics I grabbed for you guys trying to show off the various features of the new heads

Name:  20160405_235445_resized.jpg
Views: 5563
Size:  194.6 KB

Name:  20160405_235526_resized_1.jpg
Views: 5535
Size:  214.4 KB

Good shot of the CNC Chambers....

Name:  20160405_235828_resized.jpg
Views: 5508
Size:  186.4 KB

Close-ups of the custom valvejob profiles and the bowl blending that comes standard equipment with this product....no additional cost

Name:  20160405_235911_resized.jpg
Views: 5568
Size:  166.1 KB

Hope you guys are appreciating the seamless transition from the valvejob to the combustion chamber (which can be seen here pretty well). This is something that I worked on for many hours mostly changing and working with the design of the valvejob profiles till both intake and exhaust melted seamlessly in the combustion chamber. That's worth power guys and its difficult to achieve without manipulating it by hand most of the time.

Name:  20160405_235900_resized.jpg
Views: 5407
Size:  162.9 KB

And finally a shot perched on a new engine I'm building (thanks Larry Taylor!!)

Name:  20160406_000735_resized.jpg
Views: 5419
Size:  259.8 KB

Valvesprings....these heads will only be offered with premium PAC .650 lift valvespring....there is no upgrade....the upgrade spring is basically standard equipment because I am a real stickler about proper valve control (some of which is dictated by the proper valvesprings).

Retainers....in an effort to keep costs down, steel retainers will come as standard equipment but I will always recommend that my customer upgrade to titanium to reduce the mass of the valve/spring assembly. The upgrade price is very reasonable at $125

And speaking of PRICE.....yeah, I strung you guys along and left the best for last Im going to be selling these heads for $2150 which I feel is a complete bargain for the type of quality and performance potential these heads have to offer. You guys know my reputation and what I normally bring to the table....this is a product Im proud to put my name on at a price that should bring smiles to those that can appreciate what goes into it.

Better yet, for a short time Im going to have an introductory special on these heads and offer them at a starting price of $2050 to help out the guys willing to be the pioneers as others look on awaiting some results. Not sure how long I will be willing to do this cause the margin is tight even at $2150 but for now that's the price so if your in the market and have followed my career and accomplishments over the years grab it while you have the opportunity.

Guys, thanks for taking the time to read all this.....if you have any questions feel free to chime in this thread, email, PM, or pick up the phone. I shouldn't have to state the obvious but I will....for guys looking to completely optimize their combination, and are lucky enough to be working with a larger budget, the MMS 220 is slightly more efficient on the intake side and has a higher flowing exhaust port....it will make more power and torque. But, for the guys that are working with a tighter budget, my new Sportsman head is an extremely exciting product that offers alot of value and will produce impressive results.

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
The following users liked this post:
AlohaC5 (02-02-2020)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

These sound like an incredible value, Tony. Wish they'd have been out 3 months ago
Old 04-13-2016, 07:54 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

SWEET! Id love a set of these o my 370 I'm building... how well would these work with a Rather large Nitrous shot? Say 250-300 shot
Old 04-13-2016, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Very cool, something to think about come head time.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,

How do you think these heads would do on a larger bore? You mention 6.0 guys but what about LS3 guys? How would you stack these against a set of ported 243 OEM heads?
Old 04-13-2016, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The heads look great Tony! I think you'll find it hard to keep up with the demand, as these heads are priced very well, and hit more of the market for the average LSx guy. One thing I noticed is how well the chambers are CNC ported. I've always wondered this, and maybe you can answer this questions; I see some CNC'd chambers that look like yours (completely CNC's with no area left untouched). I've also seen heads that have had the chambers CNC ported, but the entire chamber is not ported, as there are areas left untouched. Could you elaborate on why that is, and is one way better than the other?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony, I noticed some of the spark plug threads have been cut back. Do you use a standard plug or a plug with a shorter reach? What reach plug would be used?
Are there enough threads for long term(years) of reliability?
Will exposed plug threads have a potential for causing ping/pre-det?
John

Last edited by Mongo510; 04-13-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that's a hell of a deal! Some folks who haven't finished their build or spec'd heads should be all over this. Great work as always Tony! Now about that dyno time you and I need to get in...
Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I forgot that you had planned on a more budget friendly head. Everything looks real promising, I'll keep an eye out for once they start reaching consumers and track/dyno numbers come out.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Valve sizes ???
Old 04-13-2016, 06:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Valve sizes ???
It's in there....LOL

2.055 and 1.570 come standard....1.600 is offered as an upgrade

Guys....thanks for all the comments etc.

I know a few others have asked some questions and I will revisit this thread in the next 24 hours or sooner to address all of it. Im slammed today getting an engine finished that has to ship to the other side of the world tomorrow!

The valve size was a quick lay up....LOL

I will revisit this thread soon!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking good Tony! In for results!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The heads look fantastic, Tony. Great price for the performance, too. I really like that 80+% E/I ratio @ .200" and @ .400", and the 74% @ peak/.600" is really nice. I bet that 1.60" exhaust valve upgrade really shines on the 4.00" bore. Are the valves hollow stem/sodium filled (exhaust)? And do they have the PM guides?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Can you use the stock rockers with these heads?(do they have pm guides)
The following users liked this post:
cino (04-02-2021)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mongo510
Tony, I noticed some of the spark plug threads have been cut back. Do you use a standard plug or a plug with a shorter reach? What reach plug would be used?
Are there enough threads for long term(years) of reliability?
Will exposed plug threads have a potential for causing ping/pre-det?
John
That was more of an optical illusion really

The is no issue with spark plug threads being exposed or any of that. In fact the plug sits reasonably flush with the chamber. I tried a TR6 first....it was used and didn't look as good in the pic so I tried a Champion I had laying in the toolbox =)

Name:  20160414_033312_resized.jpg
Views: 5148
Size:  246.8 KB

Name:  20160414_033321_resized.jpg
Views: 5193
Size:  259.9 KB

Both look exactly the same btw in regards to how they sit in the chamber....I like the position....it's slightly "proud" but I prefer that to being slightly recessed. No plug threads are exposed

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
The heads look fantastic, Tony. Great price for the performance, too. I really like that 80+% E/I ratio @ .200" and @ .400", and the 74% @ peak/.600" is really nice. I bet that 1.60" exhaust valve upgrade really shines on the 4.00" bore. Are the valves hollow stem/sodium filled (exhaust)? And do they have the PM guides?
Thanks David.....the exhaust valves are solid as are the intakes but I offer a hollow stem intake upgrade to reduce mass and offer better higher RPM valve control (same intake valve upgrade I offer for the MMS 220 head). If you have the extra coin its a smart place to put it lightening up the larger intake valves.

Regarding guides they are the same as my CNC 220's....both of which feature bronze guides which I still prefer in a performance engine. That material has more lubricity and its the reason most race/performance engines run them.

Really you guys should be going with roller rockers anyway which is always the smart play regarding these builds. Stock rockers aren't meant for the lifts, cam ramp profiles, and higher springs pressures we run and they will scrub and sideload the guides no matter which material they are made of. Its just not an ideal solution.....only a cheaper solution.

That said the heads do accept stock rockers naturally but you wont find many Mamo Motorsports builds running them.....LOL

Its another really smart place to upgrade!

Catch you guys later

-Tony

PS.....Dont mind the lightly sanded deck finish.....its the first step in cc'ing the head making sure the chambers dont have any slight edges to hold the plexiglass plate a few thou off the deck (giving you a false reading). I used that chamber to confirm the size of the stock chamber which is 65 cc.....I may not have provided that info yet!

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Have you had any orders yet..? I might wanna be the guinea pig hehe.. If I purchased these could you hand port them more..?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

So Tony, you have the 220s fully cnc and now a budget 223 cc. Does this mean a 225 version of the 220s are coming soon for maximum effort 3.9" bore? Or do you still recommend the 220s for an all out application?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mavn
Have you had any orders yet..? I might wanna be the guinea pig hehe.. If I purchased these could you hand port them more..?
Trust me no one is a guinea pig....the "early adopters" just get the Internet glory and the discount!

I have designed more heads than I can remember over the years....all of them performed extremely well....these will be no different.

And it would be silly to add money to these with additional porting....if you were willing to spend more you would just step up to the full CNC MMS 220 head.

And I have sold a few sets already btw

Originally Posted by jhshnh
So Tony, you have the 220s fully cnc and now a budget 223 cc. Does this mean a 225 version of the 220s are coming soon for maximum effort 3.9" bore? Or do you still recommend the 220s for an all out application?
Yes....the MMS 220 is still the ideal head for a max effort 3.900 bore application. I wont be adding or working on any additional heads for the 346-383 crowd.

And for the guys asking about larger CID applications with these new 223 heads, they would certainly work extremely well on a 6.0 or a 6.2 liter short or a 383 for that matter as well. I would just cam them differently than I would an MMS 220 head. They would work alot better than a factory ported casting in any application.....much more efficient and higher flow as well.

Dont put alot of stock in advertised flow numbers.....

For instance most of you guys know the AFR 205's I designed in 2004 performed extremely well.....especially the guys that were on this board ten years ago. I advertised that head with an (honest) peak flow of 298 CFM and it flowed more than other heads that were claimed to flow 20 CFM higher and that were 25 cc's larger. Flowbenches are like dynos.....they all read differently even if there isn't any "advertising liberties" taken!

On the same equipment I flowed the 205 on years ago the head featured here flows 20 CFM higher with only a modest increase in port volume (most OEM ported heads are 230+ cc's and on my bench usually only muster around 300 CFM for the better ones.....some a little higher....some a little lower.

Looking forward to some dyno results from the new heads.....Im sure they will not disappoint!

Regards,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 04-14-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Yeah tony isn't Microsoft, where the first version to come out should be beta and tons of revisions are needed. For tony to go public im sure he's happy with the design and they are badass.

I don't ever see myself doing stock castings again. These aren't that much more than some of the premium port jobs out there, but with that Mamo lovin' they receive, I'd happily buy them on trust.

If I weren't so happy with the 220's.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Would these heads be good for porting if say you wanted to start with these, but possibly upgrade in the future without buying new heads?

Quick Reply: NEW PRODUCT: MMS 223 cc Sportsman heads!!