Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

396 Stroker - Burning Oil & Extreme Crankcase Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 396 Stroker - Burning Oil & Extreme Crankcase Pressure

Quick summary: 396 stroker, low miles on the block and new H/C/I 1,500 miles ago.

Earlier this year at the track I blew my dipstick out of my dipstick tube and sprayed oil out the top of the tube. I worked with MightyMouse on my catchcan setup and upgraded my hose barb fittings to -12AN fittings and that seemed to stop the tube from blowing out. The guy I was racing let me know that I was "smoking" about half way down the track...I attributed that to the oil spraying onto my heads and headers. That leads me to where I am now...last week I ran into another fbody and we ended up doing a few pulls from a 40or so roll, after the first pull I looked in my rearview and saw tons of blue smoke and smelled oil burning. I assumed I blew the dipstick again, however when I looked under the hood I had oil coming out of the breather on my catch can. Also I have tons of oil in my intake manifold, it is pooled in the back corners near the runners as well as right behind the throttle body.

From the research that I have done so far my guess is something wrong with my rings, since that would explain the extreme crankcase pressure, but havent ruled out a PCV issue.

My long term plan would be to pull the block, have that honed out and reassembled. Thinking I might be able to reuse most of my rotating assembly since its relatively new and all forged Scat.

Any thoughts and ideas about what could be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by abern310; 09-30-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:09 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

What pistons are in it?

With that much stroke, the piston design and debur of the bottom of the cylinder are very important. You could have an issue where too much of the piston skirt is exposed below the cylinder at BDC causing the piston to rock and oil to escape past the rings into the chamber on the intake stroke and exhaust gas to escape into the crankcase on the exhaust stroke.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
What pistons are in it?

With that much stroke, the piston design and debur of the bottom of the cylinder are very important. You could have an issue where too much of the piston skirt is exposed below the cylinder at BDC causing the piston to rock and oil to escape past the rings into the chamber on the intake stroke and exhaust gas to escape into the crankcase on the exhaust stroke.
It has 4.125 stroke, 6.125 rod, and 3.903 piston. The crank is scat, the rods are scat, and the pistons are lunati dome pistons +5cc if i do remember correctly.

Would that be an issue that would always happen or would that develop over time?
Old 08-14-2016, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it didn't do this from the start I am going to say it a ring issue.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree that long of stroke has been know to cause excessive oil consumption over time but I never heard of it causing excessive crank case pressure especially at that low of mileage.

Not apples to apples, but Back in the day I had a procharged LT1, that was basically stock with 8lbs of boost. I started noticing it was blowing the oil dipstick out of the tube and oil was coming out of the breathers. After tear down it had a cracked ring on the #8 slug. The car still rand and drove fine, just had excessive crankcase pressure.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 08-15-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:25 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by abern310
It has 4.125 stroke, 6.125 rod, and 3.903 piston. The crank is scat, the rods are scat, and the pistons are lunati dome pistons +5cc if i do remember correctly.

Would that be an issue that would always happen or would that develop over time?
It would always happen to some degree, but get worse and worse with mileage and wear.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
It would always happen to some degree, but get worse and worse with mileage and wear.
Any way to test this? I am about 90% sure it went from not burning oil and lower crankcase pressure to what it is doing now
Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

4.125 stroke and 6.125 rod = 1.48 rod/stroke ratio, that's not so good. Those pistons are getting rocked in their bores and oil control is an issue. It's making more crankcase pressure than you can control and blowing oil out where ever it can. Total seal rings with a Napier second if you haven't already.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not use a stock 5.X engine and turbo it? The price you seem to be paying for 'less displacement' is a kick to the shin, and I keep seeing this same problem (stroker -> Oil / piston issues)
Old 08-15-2016, 09:50 AM
KCS

Any way to test this? I am about 90% sure it went from not burning oil and lower crankcase pressure to what it is doing now
I haven't tried it, but if I suspected this issue I would try doing a leakdown with the piston at BDC and see how it compares to leakdown results with the piston at TDC.

Have you cut open and looked at the filter yet?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 64post
4.125 stroke and 6.125 rod = 1.48 rod/stroke ratio, that's not so good. Those pistons are getting rocked in their bores and oil control is an issue. It's making more crankcase pressure than you can control and blowing oil out where ever it can. Total seal rings with a Napier second if you haven't already.
bought the short block assembled, so I am not sure what rings it has. Once I pull the motor and have it looked at I will definitely be using Total Seal and will go with the Napier seccond.

I really don't want to bail on the block yet, I would like to dive into it and see if the piston rocking is definitely the cause (which I am assuming it is).

With a relatively tight budget...is it worth sinking the money into this block for a hone and rebuild, or building a 408 short block
Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
I haven't tried it, but if I suspected this issue I would try doing a leakdown with the piston at BDC and see how it compares to leakdown results with the piston at TDC.

that is what I was thinking as well.

Have you cut open and looked at the filter yet?
have not cut open the filter yet, fresh oil change 150 miles ago....what should I be looking for when I open it up?
Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned

With a relatively tight budget...is it worth sinking the money into this block for a hone and rebuild, or building a 408 short block
See this is the issue. Keep trying to build something and question marks will keep appearing.

IMO if the goal is 500rwhp or less.... use a stock engine, and a turbo. Its like you keep 'trying to build' for mediocre output that a stock engine will handle for 1/10 the cost?
Old 08-15-2016, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
See this is the issue. Keep trying to build something and question marks will keep appearing.
Not disagreeing with you on that at all. This just happens to be a big question mark on my build.
Just looking to get my car running again...buy it, build it, break it - rinse and repeat

IMO if the goal is 500rwhp or less.... use a stock engine, and a turbo. Its like you keep 'trying to build' for mediocre output that a stock engine will handle for 1/10 the cost?
This is the first build so I'm not quite sure what "keep trying to build" entails. I've got $4500 into the full long block which I would consider a pretty good build for the price. So before I call it quits on this block I want to make sure that I completely understand the problem with it.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Banned

Not disagreeing with you on that at all. This just happens to be a big question mark on my build.
Just looking to get my car running again...buy it, build it, break it - rinse and repeat

This is the first build so I'm not quite sure what "keep trying to build" entails. I've got $4500 into the full long block which I would consider a pretty good build for the price. So before I call it quits on this block I want to make sure that I completely understand the problem with it.
Sorry about that. Yeah, I didn't mean "you" specifically you. I guess I was thinking about the forum as a whole slice of those dead-set on N/A 'builds' underachievers. "the underachiever N/A build folks" will throw 5k at an engine and it will last 1/10 as long as a stock engine and make 100 horsepower less than a stock engine on boost, basically because 'if you want something done right, do it yourself' they didn't do that part.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 PM
KCS

have not cut open the filter yet, fresh oil change 150 miles ago....what should I be looking for when I open it up?
Aluminum slivers.

The skirts on a piston are barrel shaped, with the widest part being the "major diameter". This major diameter is what a machinist measures to hone the block for the correct piston-wall clearance. If the piston is not designed correctly for the stroke, the major diameter of the skirt will come out below the bottom of the cylinder and the piston-wall clearance increases. This is what allows the piston to rock. What makes it worse is on the way up, the edge of the cylinder can start slicing material off the major diameter, making the excess piston-wall clearance constant and not just at BDC. The aluminum being trimmed off the skirt will show in the filter.

That's why I think you're problem keeps getting worse and worse.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:08 PM
KCS

Sorry about that. Yeah, I didn't mean "you" specifically you. I guess I was thinking about the forum as a whole slice of those dead-set on N/A 'builds' underachievers. "the underachiever N/A build folks" will throw 5k at an engine and it will last 1/10 as long as a stock engine and make 100 horsepower less than a stock engine on boost, basically because 'if you want something done right, do it yourself' they didn't do that part.
"Turbochargers were for people who can't build engines."
-Keith Duckworth, co-founder of Cosworth
Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Old 08-17-2016, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
Aluminum slivers.

The skirts on a piston are barrel shaped, with the widest part being the "major diameter". This major diameter is what a machinist measures to hone the block for the correct piston-wall clearance. If the piston is not designed correctly for the stroke, the major diameter of the skirt will come out below the bottom of the cylinder and the piston-wall clearance increases. This is what allows the piston to rock. What makes it worse is on the way up, the edge of the cylinder can start slicing material off the major diameter, making the excess piston-wall clearance constant and not just at BDC. The aluminum being trimmed off the skirt will show in the filter.

That's why I think you're problem keeps getting worse and worse.
Thanks, I should have it opened up this weekend and will update the thread once I get a look at it. Appreciate all the help!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Id say a compression test and leak down are in order.

Quick Reply: 396 Stroker - Burning Oil & Extreme Crankcase Pressure