Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial test drive after cam swap not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Pretty big cam. Between the first try mail order tune and it sounds like you didn't romp it too serious I'm not surprised. Power will be close to stock until it gets up in the RPM.

I had a 230/238, built the most steam from around 4,000rpm. Took me a good bit of tuning to dial it in. A professional would be better and quicker but they would still need some type of logs to make it better. You probably have a good starting point but there's almost certainly more in it.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 07-13-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got about 20 miles on it today definitely runs strong at higher rooms .. you guys were right just needed to be driven a little harder ..
It does "chug a little at low rpms" which I would assume is the drivability problem that comes associated with a cam swap ...so if I buy a used HP tuners for 350 and a new wide band for 200 how much is a credit I'm not better off spending the money getting 8"credits for just over $800 or am I looking at the wrong set up
Can I to my Duramax with HP tuners
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by im-not-guilty
Got about 20 miles on it today definitely runs strong at higher rooms .. you guys were right just needed to be driven a little harder ..
It does "chug a little at low rpms" which I would assume is the drivability problem that comes associated with a cam swap ...so if I buy a used HP tuners for 350 and a new wide band for 200 how much is a credit I'm not better off spending the money getting 8"credits for just over $800 or am I looking at the wrong set up
Can I to my Duramax with HP tuners
I'm not certain about tuning a diesel with hptuners. All I know is you need the pro version to use it with a wideband. I definitely wouldn't be getting on it too hard without knowing my AFR. I know mine was quite lean before adding to the VE tables. It took me lots of research and trial and error but it's doable for sure. If your planning on adding future mods and don't wanna pay for multiple tunes it's a great route. If your only planning on a cam and tune and done.... maybe a "pro" tuners is the way to go. I probably couldn't do or squeeze every last HP out of my car that a expert tuner could but I enjoy doing it myself and FWIW my drivability is good. Just some minor issues at lower rpms with AC on and other little quirks. Eventually tho it will get ironed out and it's safe air fuel.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Cb2417; 07-14-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

EFI live will tune gas and diesel for sure but it costs more for the version that does both (or it used to)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any recommendations on a wide band and a mount?
How about the dual widebands although their kinda pricy
Old 07-14-2017, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by im-not-guilty
Any recommendations on a wide band and a mount?
How about the dual widebands although their kinda pricy
I picked up an mtx-l from innovate. I had the bung they sent welded in on my x-pipe as far away from the collector as I could. It reads pretty consistently but I would like dual wide band from innovate if I could afford it. So far so good though. I mounted mine on my A-pillar and the install was super easy. This is coming from a wiring newb too lol!

*my bung was welded on the driver side. Most guys say to weld it there as cyl 7 is the first one to go lean

Last edited by Cb2417; 07-14-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just put a wideband AFR gauge in my ride as well. I went with a pretty nice once and it had a rebate on it. It was an Autometer #4397. Mounted the sensor about a foot back from the collector on the drivers side. Also important to use either a 9 or 3 o'clock position when mounting
Old 07-15-2017, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Cb2417
I'm not certain about tuning a diesel with hptuners. All I know is you need the pro version to use it with a wideband. I definitely wouldn't be getting on it too hard without knowing my AFR. I know mine was quite lean before adding to the VE tables. It took me lots of research and trial and error but it's doable for sure. If your planning on adding future mods and don't wanna pay for multiple tunes it's a great route. If your only planning on a cam and tune and done.... maybe a "pro" tuners is the way to go. I probably couldn't do or squeeze every last HP out of my car that a expert tuner could but I enjoy doing it myself and FWIW my drivability is good. Just some minor issues at lower rpms with AC on and other little quirks. Eventually tho it will get ironed out and it's safe air fuel.
Hope this helps.
You do not need the pro version to log with a wideband. You can tap into the A/C signal wire and log as auxillary input. The Pro version makes it easier tho for sure.

Quick Reply: Initial test drive after cam swap not impressed