Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max Effort LS1 cam recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update for those interested. With the cam I really didn't notice in the butt dyno any difference. Intake is on and a noticeable improvement in top end power. Car used to "fall off" right around 7200rpm even with the big nasty cam. Now with the MSD it pulls hard all the way up to 7550.

Bad news tho... I sent my converter back to PTC to have them tweek it just a bit as far as tightinging it up just a bit to get back the mph I lost with it. Well they tightened it a little too much. Gone are my 1.30 60ft's could only pull 1.35-1.37. Even bumped up launch rpm... F*#%!!!!

To anyone reading this make sure if you are going big cam/intake you have a big loose *** converter or not afraid to dump the clutch at high Rpm's. If not you are wasting your time and $$$$.

I'm gonna pop it back out and send it back to get loosened then I believe I can see the cam and intakes full potential. I'm getting tired tho and ready to go turbo lol. N/A is a tough game to play
Old 10-28-2017, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What kind of slip on the convertor were you seeing before you sent it to them the first time to be tightened up?

Also curious on the class that you run in
Old 11-02-2017, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not trying to disrespect or act like a know-it-all but why do a lot of people claim max effort LS1 builds and spend a lot of money on new cam specs and expensive intakes that they get worked over but then use OEM castings? Wouldn't starting with some good aftermarket heads from say AFR, TFS, PRC, MMS, etc and having them worked over by a reputable shop that's known for great port jobs on LS heads, and have them port matched to your intake yield noticeably better #'s and be more of a max effort LS1 build than factory castings are capable of?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

The claims run rampant and for many reasons.
Aftermarket castings CAN be better by miles BUT sometimes they make you use special setups etc vs stock castings. Or require additional machining because they arent really universal fit. Ive had some issues with a few heads due to this. Sometimes they are fixed later on in casting revisions, sometimes not.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
What kind of slip on the convertor were you seeing before you sent it to them the first time to be tightened up?

Also curious on the class that you run in

I don't have that data. Probably should tho. I run any of the n/A shootouts around and World Cup finals race.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JROC
I'm not trying to disrespect or act like a know-it-all but why do a lot of people claim max effort LS1 builds and spend a lot of money on new cam specs and expensive intakes that they get worked over but then use OEM castings? Wouldn't starting with some good aftermarket heads from say AFR, TFS, PRC, MMS, etc and having them worked over by a reputable shop that's known for great port jobs on LS heads, and have them port matched to your intake yield noticeably better #'s and be more of a max effort LS1 build than factory castings are capable of?

Need stock castings for the class I run.

Quick Reply: Max Effort LS1 cam recommendation