Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me figure out this LS1 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me figure out this LS1 oil leak

Help me figure out where this 2000 Camaro LS1 is peaking. I changed the cam sensor o ring, oil pressure sender, valley pan gasket and knock sensor gaskets and KS harness 6 months ago. I just changed the rear main seal and seal holder and gasket, front cover and front main and oil pan gasket. There is oil all around the intake ports. And oil under the intake. Crystallized Oil on the new KS harness

Old 04-27-2018, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Puddles of oil on 4 of these 6 head bolt locations

Old 04-27-2018, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Ok all over the bottom of the intake and in the intake .

Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because the engine is inclined, front to back, most oil leaks front to back, so the front cover came to mind, except that the leaked oil is sitting higher than the front cover, on the head bolts. So, I vote for the valley ...maybe the gasket is pinched up front, and pressure is forcing oil up and outward. That’s my guess, without being able to look directly at the engine.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the feedback. Which gasket do you mean? I also probably didn’t clean up the oil after I changed the gaskets last time. But I pulled the IM because I was getting oil leaking around the bell housing after changing the front and rear mains. I’m thinking about making a leak catcher for this thing so I can drive it without making a mess. I also have improved my catch can system. The old one had a plugged hose which obviously was not helping the situation
Old 04-28-2018, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

How do your valve cover gaskets look? Do you have a catch can setup?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
How do your valve cover gaskets look? Do you have a catch can setup?
I thought about that. It seems like a good source of oil to get on those head bolts. I put a new one on the passenger side when I did the IM and valley gaskets. The driver seemed good. I can't see a trail of oil coming from those leading to those head bolt puddles.

I know my compression is not the greatest on this 150K engine. I measured 150-175 psi, but I didn't have the throttle open. Maybe I'll do it again with the intake off.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hows your PVC system ?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
hows your PVC system ?
this.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

I recently installed a catch can that draws through both rocker covers. I found that at idling one of the braided pvc lines collapsed, so I guess I have vacuum.

I still have leaks so I made this trough that attaches with the bottom two BH bolts so I can drive it without leaving puddles. Like others with the same problem, it looks great after a drive but in the morning there are puddles. This sux!

Old 05-07-2018, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

just add a sump pump to that and re-circulate it into the oil fill cap!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by truckdoug
just add a sump pump to that and re-circulate it into the oil fill cap!
Like a dry sump system? That sounds simple!

After a few days of driving around with zero drips under the truck, I decided to check the catch tray. It seems completely dry. I see a little bit of seepage around the bell/pan joint. I'd say it is possible that this is residual from the previous leak, but I'm trying not to be overly optimistic. When I tore this truck down 2 months ago, it had 2 exhaust leaks, at least 3 oil leaks, an AT leak and the power steering was leaking. I can't believe it isn't leaking anything now. I mean, I really can't believe it.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I think it's oil being sucked through the PCV system and back into the intake.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Were the intake bolts good and tight? Might be seeping past the intake gaskets, mine has high miles and looks the very same as yours. My intake has a lot of oil in it too. I think you would be surprised what goes on under the hood under power. The intake may not be sealed at running temps as good as you think. When you install the intake go back over it a few times after its been driven a few 100 miles. I found the bolts were not properly tightened even though everything was cleaned(threads)until I torqued them a few times. The nylon intake moves around when its heated. Also when the engine goes from cold to hot to cold everything moves around EVERY time just enough to let oil seep through seals like this. The solution may be to some how stop the oil from getting into the intake some how. Personally I don't care about some seeping like this as long as its not blowing out under hot high rpms that might get on the exhaust and start a fire suddenly. I have a battery powered video camera I can mount under the hood so I can get a look at WHAT THE HELL GOES ON UNDER THERE! I've found some strange things I wouldn't have expected with it.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would almost guarantee its the PCV system. I installed a brand new intake with an LS6 valley cover and I still had oil in the intake and around the intake gaskets within a week after I took the intake off for knock sensor replacement. Since then I have installed a catch can and a check valve on the "fresh air" line coming from the throttle body that ensures air is only flowing to the crankcase from the "fresh air" line and through the LS6 valley cover and into the catch can before entering the "PCV" nipple on the intake.