Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure 04 ls1 gto

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure 04 ls1 gto

Does anyone know some reasons i could be having low oil pressure with my motor it starts and 20 psi cold then drops down to 7 psi. The engine has wiesco -25cc dished pistons, eagle I beam rods, kings rod and main bearings, durabond hp cam bearings, machine work done by a local machine shop, melling high pressure oil pump, trick flow dual timing chain, sac city corvette oil filter bypass delete and stainless barbell, arp main studs. I have changed the pickup tube oring 3 times and still haven’t had any luck, anyone have any suggestions on what it could be maybe orientation on rods backwards? Thanky you!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:41 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What are your bearing clearances?

Check the filter for metal?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

There are too many variables to say just one thing is the issue. You might have to tear it back down and go over everything. ie. spacers for oil pump for the dual timing chain, front cam plate seal. Rear cover seal. All the clearances ( main, rod, lifter bore, cam bore, that billet barbell, my machine shop didn't recommend it.) Did you check the spring in the oil pump?
Old 05-11-2018, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Someone else just went through a similar situation on here. The machine shop didn't put the oil gallery plug back in after cleaning out the engine. It caused an internal oil leak that prevented the engine from building pressure.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bammax
Someone else just went through a similar situation on here. The machine shop didn't put the oil gallery plug back in after cleaning out the engine. It caused an internal oil leak that prevented the engine from building pressure.
He has the SAC city barbell installed.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

General rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10lb. per 1000 rpm.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hi,
Were new cam bearings installed? I know some guys say don't worry about cam bearings but we have learned the hard way that new cam bearings should be installed or the old ones can cause low oil pressure issues.
What was the oil pressure at cruise and high RPM? Seems like most people only talk about idle pressure when high RPM is most important. 7psi at idle is low though. Did you put a mechanical gauge on it to verify you a it
is not malfunctioning gauge?

Thanks
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johnny_M
He has the SAC city barbell installed.
The barbell is not the only plug. That's what screwed up the other guy too.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by saccitycorvette
Hi,
Were new cam bearings installed? I know some guys say don't worry about cam bearings but we have learned the hard way that new cam bearings should be installed or the old ones can cause low oil pressure issues.
What was the oil pressure at cruise and high RPM? Seems like most people only talk about idle pressure when high RPM is most important. 7psi at idle is low though. Did you put a mechanical gauge on it to verify you a it
is not malfunctioning gauge?

Thanks
Christian
I had lees automotive machine install new cam bearings here in Colorado Springs, they installed the durabond chp-25 i believe and ive only used my digital gauges, its an innovate oil psi gauge and the factory one aswell.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I can think of quite a few places you can lose pressure but did you check clearance on the new cam bearings?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I can think of quite a few places you can lose pressure but did you check clearance on the new cam bearings?
the machine shop did all of the bearing clearances they didnt tell me the clearance but was to spec they said.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Iherrera98

I had lees automotive machine install new cam bearings here in Colorado Springs, they installed the durabond chp-25 i believe and ive only used my digital gauges, its an innovate oil psi gauge and the factory one aswell.
So you dont know what the shop set the bearing clearances at? When they say "to spec" spec for what type of build? 400 Hp or 1000 HP? It makes a difference. What weight oil did they tell you to use? You should find out the clearances. Pretty important to know. The paper work from the shop should have the specs they set everything at.
What was the cruise and high rpm oil pressure?

Thanks
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:03 AM
Teching In

They didnt give me any paperwork on my clearances just got the motor back and through it in they said it was spec’d out to 1200-1300 hp but that doesnt help me much
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 AM
10 Second Club

The barbell is not the only plug. That's what screwed up the other guy too.
That is the only plug to cause internal leakage. all the other plugs will leak externally.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok I know this is going to sound very basic but did you check the oil pump relief valve? Sometimes on a new build small particles in the oil could hang the valve open. Look there 1st if not you have to go through everything till you find the issue. Things like the cam retainer plate, rear cover gasket leaking internally, BEARING CLEARANCES. BUT<there is always a but> you have a huge leak to dump that much pressure, that's why I'm thinking relief valve stuck 1st.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johnny_M
That is the only plug to cause internal leakage. all the other plugs will leak externally.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1512-check-out-this-useful-ls-small-parts-guide/

Scroll down to pic 4. That little plug would be easy to overlook. Since it works like a freeze plug there's always an off chance that it's in crooked or a hair under size. The only issue is that you'd have to pull the front cover to check.

If you do open it up I'd also be looking at pickup to pan clearance, o-ring pinched, pressure relief valve sticking, plus whatever else I could see while I was there.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

That freeze plug will cause you to have zero oil pressure if not installed
Old 05-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Ok I know this is going to sound very basic but did you check the oil pump relief valve? Sometimes on a new build small particles in the oil could hang the valve open. Look there 1st if not you have to go through everything till you find the issue. Things like the cam retainer plate, rear cover gasket leaking internally, BEARING CLEARANCES. BUT<there is always a but> you have a huge leak to dump that much pressure, that's why I'm thinking relief valve stuck 1st.
yeah i checked the oil relief valve im thinking it may be the cam retainer plate i ordered one off of summit but it had beena cheaper one that may be the issue the gasket did not seem that great
Old 05-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Teching In

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1512-check-out-this-useful-ls-small-parts-guide/

Scroll down to pic 4. That little plug would be easy to overlook. Since it works like a freeze plug there's always an off chance that it's in crooked or a hair under size. The only issue is that you'd have to pull the front cover to check.

If you do open it up I'd also be looking at pickup to pan clearance, o-ring pinched, pressure relief valve sticking, plus whatever else I could see while I was there.
i have that plug installed currently, what is the best way at going at oil pickup to pan clearance?
Old 05-12-2018, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Iherrera98
i have that plug installed currently, what is the best way at going at oil pickup to pan clearance?
With a straight edge and ruler. Measure from the oil pick up to the block oil pan rail. Lay the straight edge across the pan with the gasket installed and measure to the bottom of the pan. The pick up/ block measurement should be 1/4" shorter minimum than the oil pan measurement.