Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Pickup Tube Girdle Only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pump Pickup Tube Girdle Only?

Hello everyone, I am in the middle of my first cam swap in my 99 SS M6. I decided I did not want to drop the oil pan to remove the oil pump. I successfully removed the bolt, pickup tube, and pump with the pan still in place, however I realized starting the bolt during reassembly is going to be a different story lol. If I can't get the bolt back in, my question is, can I use a pickup girdle hold-down on the other hole solely without the original bolt in the welded flange? My brain says yes, but my gut is scared lol. Logic says it's only held in with one bolt anyway, and the leverage point of the original bolt is much further from the center of the tube than a "single" hold-down like the improved racing egm-500. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2018, 12:15 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Unbolt the pan and drop it as far as you can. stuff rags in the pan so when you drop it it doesn't go far haha
Old 07-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I was trying to avoid dropping the pan due to fear of alignment issues and leaks. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a "single" girdle in the "upper" pump hole only, without the use of the factory flange and bolt. Or at least if anyone thinks it's a good or bad idea lol.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

As said, drop the pan as much as you can. Then tie a piece of dental floss under the head of the bolt. That way if you drop it, you can retrieve it. And never hurts to add the girdle as well.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Your going to have to drop the pan man. Just be careful not to rip the rubber part of the gasket and you should be fine.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 AM
Staging Lane

Okay, thanks guys. I should be getting back to work on the car within the next week, I'll check back in and update then. Appreciate it.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 445 Likes on 337 Posts

the oil pump pickup oring is about the only thing on an ls you actually have to be careful with.
this is not the place to be lazy and try to shortcut.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Okay guys, just checking back in with an update. I was able to get my new oil pump on with the pan still in place. I was also able to use some hemostats to get the pickup bolt in and started. I also installed a girdle on the other hole just for added security. Thanks for talking some sense into me about making sure I got the bolt in and not shortcutting there.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Pickup Tube Girdle Only?