Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Notice John Bewly Out at LJMS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 03:33 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Default Anyone Else Notice John Bewly Out at LJMS?

Seems kind of sudden, but looks like it's not fake news...?
Old 01-14-2020, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

He got caught up in an argument with Matt Happel and got caught in a lie about the SS2 cam, saying he has used Tooley's spintron and the cam was garbage. Even Tooley claimed they hadn't done it, it just seemed like John was getting pissy about people picking cams other than his.

I'm pretty sure that this might've stemmed from one of Bewleys blower cams not picking up any power over an LS9 cam in a test someone did (Holdener?) So they decided to try the SS2 cam afterwards.

I dunno all of the details. The screenshots of messages I seen on Facebook were definitely not in Bewleys favor.

The guy is catastrophically overrated anyway.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

Brian Tooley is humble and respectful. I have met him countless times in person in Bowling Green Kentucky.
I've actually have had some beers with the guy and talk cams, heads,intakes,builds.
Plus he tells the truth about products and people.
His relationship with his customers are bar none. He have actually called me personally to make sure im ok and my car is still performing like it should.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tuskyz28:
G Atsma (01-14-2020), JakeFusion (01-16-2020), JF74chevelle (01-14-2020), wannafbody (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Brian Tooley is humble and respectful. I have met him countless times in person in Bowling Green Kentucky.
I've actually have had some beers with the guy and talk cams, heads,intakes,builds.
Plus he tells the truth about products and people.
His relationship with his customers are bar none. He have actually called me personally to make sure im ok and my car is still performing like it should.
Tooley and Bewley are definitely different people. I have nothing against Tooley. He seems like a great guy.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Crazy drama.

I was really impressed by the way Tooley played the hand he was dealt. Hiring is hard.
G Atsma (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:20 AM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
Crazy drama.

I was really impressed by the way Tooley played the hand he was dealt. Hiring is hard.
So is firing. It really sucks. Either way, I'm sure it will be best in the long run.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,178 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Drawing a blank here... who is LJMS?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Drawing a blank here... who is LJMS?
He's the opposite of little lol it was Little John Motorsports aka resellers of parts they had no clue about.
The following 2 users liked this post by SLOW SEDAN:
ddnspider (01-15-2020), G Atsma (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:49 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by AwesomeAuto
He got caught up in an argument with Matt Happel and got caught in a lie about the SS2 cam, saying he has used Tooley's spintron and the cam was garbage. Even Tooley claimed they hadn't done it, it just seemed like John was getting pissy about people picking cams other than his.

I'm pretty sure that this might've stemmed from one of Bewleys blower cams not picking up any power over an LS9 cam in a test someone did (Holdener?) So they decided to try the SS2 cam afterwards.

I dunno all of the details. The screenshots of messages I seen on Facebook were definitely not in Bewleys favor.

The guy is catastrophically overrated anyway.
He's lied about a lot of things over the years and could never produce any facts to backup his statements. I agree he was always deemed overrated by everyone except his facebook lemmings, kinda funny what people will believe on there.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
He's the opposite of little lol it was Little John Motorsports aka resellers of parts they had no clue about.
Right. Its shocking how many people praise a man that can't fit in a car let alone build/race one.
I bet he sells more LS cams for Comp than they sell for themselves, and he has claimed to be better at speccing cams for them, despite using the lobes that they did all of the R&D, design, elbow grease to create.
I remember seeing him argue with Cam Motion a while back about how they don't know how to do a proper solid roller and have no idea what valve springs to use with one.

I met some of the guys from Cam Motion and bumped into Tooley at PRI. They all seem like great guys. Let's all hope that John has made enough money by now to check out of the industry...
The following 3 users liked this post by AwesomeAuto:
89ThirdGenCamaro3310 (01-16-2020), G Atsma (01-15-2020), SLOW SEDAN (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 02:34 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I remember when that guy arrived. It was a fun time guesstimating the next greatest cam grind. Smooth lobes were sorta new and the hunt was on for the best one. I was privy to some good data at that time, saw some incredible advances in lobe design unfold in real time. Lil John and Martin from Tick were going FULL with no regard for anyone at any experience levels opinion that they knew ALL when it came to cam greatness. As I said a fun show

You want the best cam? It takes about twenty tries, but by then you've added cubes, hurt motors, blown trans and diffs up and you end up where everyone who wants to go FAST ends up. MORE CUBIC INCHES and MORE BOOST ~
Old 01-15-2020, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I saw Martin at least listen to/respect Kip on here....LJ, not so much lol.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 852 Likes on 653 Posts

I got the impression that LJMS and BTR had some kind of business arrangement where Jon designed the cam and BTR was the seller. Not sure how it really worked. But BTR is probably better not being associated with him.

I got the impression that Martin from Tick could spec a pretty good cam. But then so can others. And Cam Motion seems to be able to do a decent job speccing cams for customers.

The shocker was the Holdener test where a LJMS blower cam produced almost nothing more than a mild grind NA cam from Crane.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,178 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Well, long story short, sounds like good riddance!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:27 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

I have no clue what transpired here I have zero skin in this story but I will say I hope no one got scammed or ripped off and wish Lil John well and hope the guy lands on his feet and keeps moving forward. He started out part time hustling while driving truck iirc and he got his name out there. Hope he keeps a cool lid not to torch that hard work and continues to work forward with a good attitude, he'll probably do fine if he does that.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I got the impression that LJMS and BTR had some kind of business arrangement where Jon designed the cam and BTR was the seller. Not sure how it really worked. But BTR is probably better not being associated with him.

I got the impression that Martin from Tick could spec a pretty good cam. But then so can others. And Cam Motion seems to be able to do a decent job speccing cams for customers.

The shocker was the Holdener test where a LJMS blower cam produced almost nothing more than a mild grind NA cam from Crane.
LJMS was an assumed name under BTR, Brian owned both:

Old 01-16-2020, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You want the best cam? It takes about twenty tries, but by then you've added cubes, hurt motors, blown trans and diffs up and you end up where everyone who wants to go FAST ends up. MORE CUBIC INCHES and MORE BOOST ~ [/QUOTE]

This. I haven't been here long enough to know anything about LJMS or BTR, so I won't say anything more than "this sounds like the Jay Allen (cam master jay) from wayyyyy back in the day on the bullet. Anyone here remember that hot mess? I detest the phrase "custom cam". Simply because 99.9% of the human population aren't getting "custom cams". They're getting lobes chosen FOR them from someone who probably only knows marginally more than the customer does, but has a fantastic line of sales pitch bs. And I don't mean the designers or companies who grind their own cams, I'm referring to all these "cam pickers". Every one of them are choosing lobes that are more than likely decades old, and most like based off of, or direct copies of Harold Brookshires designs. I've argued with Straub, Jones, Jones' mouthy brother, and lord knows how many others.........but the fact is that unless you cycle through a dozen or more design iterations, you aren't getting anything "custom" when you order a custom cam. Custom cams are only bought in the highest forms ($$$$$$) of motorsports, and even then the tiniest little change in conditions (track prep, any engine/chassis/car change, any weather change throughout the day........anything........and that custom cam is no longer what's optimal. I hate that term, and the reality is that there's VERY little difference in power/torque between any two (or 50) cams that are close in specs for the application for most street guys. To summarize.........I hate the term "custom cam". And it being so prevalent (and misused) is exactly why cams are now $400 or more, and the average guy will happily pay that because it's "custom".
89ThirdGenCamaro3310 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

=Enigma540;20196724]You want the best cam? It takes about twenty tries, but by then you've added cubes, hurt motors, blown trans and diffs up and you end up where everyone who wants to go FAST ends up. MORE CUBIC INCHES and MORE BOOST ~
This. I haven't been here long enough to know anything about LJMS or BTR, so I won't say anything more than "this sounds like the Jay Allen (cam master jay) from wayyyyy back in the day on the bullet. Anyone here remember that hot mess? I detest the phrase "custom cam". Simply because 99.9% of the human population aren't getting "custom cams". They're getting lobes chosen FOR them from someone who probably only knows marginally more than the customer does, but has a fantastic line of sales pitch bs. And I don't mean the designers or companies who grind their own cams, I'm referring to all these "cam pickers". Every one of them are choosing lobes that are more than likely decades old, and most like based off of, or direct copies of Harold Brookshires designs. I've argued with Straub, Jones, Jones' mouthy brother, and lord knows how many others.........but the fact is that unless you cycle through a dozen or more design iterations, you aren't getting anything "custom" when you order a custom cam. Custom cams are only bought in the highest forms ($$$$$$) of motorsports, and even then the tiniest little change in conditions (track prep, any engine/chassis/car change, any weather change throughout the day........anything........and that custom cam is no longer what's optimal. I hate that term, and the reality is that there's VERY little difference in power/torque between any two (or 50) cams that are close in specs for the application for most street guys. To summarize.........I hate the term "custom cam". And it being so prevalent (and misused) is exactly why cams are now $400 or more, and the average guy will happily pay that because it's "custom".

LOL someones been thinking....

The black art in cam selection comes in knowing the limitations your working around and trying to get the cam to pull more rope through the windows The math is all sorts of fubar. B Splines and Polynomials... Anyways the idea of cams in general are quite curious to most car guys. Very few have an even reasonable handle on them so if you can attach a brand to a cam such as LJMS and then have enough guys run them with good numbers the rest of the crowd lines up and away it goes. 3/4 cam type thing hit repeat. Rockstar instead of Coke. It all repeats
89ThirdGenCamaro3310 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
LOL someones been thinking....

The black art in cam selection comes in knowing the limitations your working around and trying to get the cam to pull more rope through the windows The math is all sorts of fubar. B Splines and Polynomials... Anyways the idea of cams in general are quite curious to most car guys. Very few have an even reasonable handle on them so if you can attach a brand to a cam such as LJMS and then have enough guys run them with good numbers the rest of the crowd lines up and away it goes. 3/4 cam type thing hit repeat. Rockstar instead of Coke. It all repeats
someones been reading my ollllllld posts on the bullet too (the rope) 😁

I agree with you conpletely, and my intent wasn't to bash anyone. I hope I didn't come off as doing so. I just hate to see "the little guy" having to fork out more and more $ for something that probably hasn't changed more than .000000002"/* in 20 years just because they've been conned with all this "custom" jazz. Like I said, no one is calling up Godbood and saying "hey Bill, break out the spline functions because I've got an '02 Camaro that I need a cam for". With an evenings worth of reading, that same guy can tell the average "picker" why he needs to come up with a better marketing campaign. Max velocity/acceleration is what it is and isn't going to change much, reliably, until better materials/math comes along.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Enigma540
someones been reading my ollllllld posts on the bullet too (the rope) 😁

I agree with you conpletely, and my intent wasn't to bash anyone. I hope I didn't come off as doing so. I just hate to see "the little guy" having to fork out more and more $ for something that probably hasn't changed more than .000000002"/* in 20 years just because they've been conned with all this "custom" jazz. Like I said, no one is calling up Godbood and saying "hey Bill, break out the spline functions because I've got an '02 Camaro that I need a cam for". With an evenings worth of reading, that same guy can tell the average "picker" why he needs to come up with a better marketing campaign. Max velocity/acceleration is what it is and isn't going to change much, reliably, until better materials/math comes along.
Not at all, this is good fun I understand your unpacking your intent there its tricky to talk tech without someones drawers getting wadded up. I want to be as informed as possible. I do challenge ideas though, but dont attack people thats just not cool or any fun at all. Sometimes I get backed into a corner with questions where my only answer is "I dont know" which almost always follows with laughter because im about to get schooled or fooled lol.

I too tend to offer best bang for the buck advice simply to try and help guys get dreams making passes instead of sitting in a garage never moving. In the end, funds make fast and funds run out faster than most build completions due to priorities changing and whatnot. Cycles repeat though, patterns patterns everywhere, same mistakes over and over. The three stages of ideas 1. bash it 2. kill the person you heard it from 3. adopt it and act as if its your own LOL

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Notice John Bewly Out at LJMS?