Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head porting gone wrong will this work

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Head porting gone wrong will this work

When I cut the rocker boss out of my 799s I went to far and tried to blend back in to the front of the port and went through about an inch into the port ( cut into the pushrod guide hole) so I JB welded the port up and ported it back down. I’m satisfied with the shape of the port now but will this fix last or should I grind the jb weld completely out again and try to have it Tig welded. They’re no signs the epoxy didn’t bond just worried.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would say try to have it tig welded, then there would be no chance of it falling out.

Stampede.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you saying that you just exposed the bolt hole? That's totally normal and is not an issue at all.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by blsnelling
Are you saying that you just exposed the bolt hole? That's totally normal and is not an issue at all.
He's saying he put a hole through the side near the pushrod guide that would be a different spot than the rocker boss bolt hole.

OP If the hole was small and you were able to get some to push through the hole to help hold it in place it should be fine.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I think i get what you tried to do.

You just need to take down the lump until you expose the rocker hole, and blend to what is immediately around it. Don't change the shape of the port. Sounds like you were trying to blend the whole port into that large section behind it where the wall swoops out into the bowl, and took too much out and broke through near the front of the port.

You went too big. Junk the head and try again, this time don't try to reshape the port. Remove just the rocker boss, maybe take out some of the swirl ramp, shave down the guide boss somewhat, bowl blend into the bottom of the seat. The rest of the port just smooth out the flash, don't make it bigger. Make sure the walls, top and bottom retain their shape.
The following 2 users liked this post by dreadpirateroberts:
G Atsma (01-19-2020), Ls7colorado (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts
I think i get what you tried to do.

You just need to take down the lump until you expose the rocker hole, and blend to what is immediately around it. Don't change the shape of the port. Sounds like you were trying to blend the whole port into that large section behind it where the wall swoops out into the bowl, and took too much out and broke through near the front of the port.

You went too big. Junk the head and try again, this time don't try to reshape the port. Remove just the rocker boss, maybe take out some of the swirl ramp, shave down the guide boss somewhat, bowl blend into the bottom of the seat. The rest of the port just smooth out the flash, don't make it bigger. Make sure the walls, top and bottom retain their shape.
well truthfully just taking down the boss was what I was trying to do but some how in the midst of grinding it down I sunk in just above it a little and then tried blending it all together where I got the dip and poked through. I filled the hole and roughly a inch of a slight dip I created with the epoxy. It seems bonded fine. Hopefully it’ll work.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Just use splash zone A-B epoxy.
Clean/preheat spot with a heat lamp and post heat as well. When cured brush a coat of superglue on the epoxy. Sort acts like a sealer. I seen this stuff stop more leaks than I care to comment about thru my life. I have never seen it come apart. When done like this.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
well truthfully just taking down the boss was what I was trying to do but some how in the midst of grinding it down I sunk in just above it a little and then tried blending it all together where I got the dip and poked through. I filled the hole and roughly a inch of a slight dip I created with the epoxy. It seems bonded fine. Hopefully it’ll work.
good luck. having that happen would ruin my day for sure!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

Be conservative when you port your heads. I was very conservative with my 799 heads that I installed on my Camaro. I got a set of 862 heads that I tried new stuff and now one of my bros is going to have me port his 243 heads for his '02 Vette. I'm going to be conservative with his 243 heads because he's going to put a lot of miles on his Vette. Go slow and use Youtube as a reference to guide your efforts.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

This thread needs pictars
The following users liked this post:
blsnelling (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsbmer
Just use splash zone A-B epoxy.
Clean/preheat spot with a heat lamp and post heat as well. When cured brush a coat of superglue on the epoxy. Sort acts like a sealer. I seen this stuff stop more leaks than I care to comment about thru my life. I have never seen it come apart. When done like this.
Z -spar Slash zone is the best for this type of repair . But smallest quantity is quart kit . Don't know that you have preheat . You may also consider Moroso AB epoxy it's cheaper but definitely would seal with top coat .if you do Moroso !
Old 01-24-2020, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omc8
Z -spar Slash zone is the best for this type of repair . But smallest quantity is quart kit . Don't know that you have preheat . You may also consider Moroso AB epoxy it's cheaper but definitely would seal with top coat .if you do Moroso !
Is that stuff compatible with ethanol?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts
Is that stuff compatible with ethanol?
Hence why I mentioned the superglue/sealer. I use to run some of VP's nasty fuels thru ports with splaszone.

Quick Reply: Head porting gone wrong will this work