Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street CAM thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
ya ok I’m always the bad guy lol then he also replied regarding cam motion. “Maybe they finally got with the program”. Lol. I read to much into that as well.
You never listened to him before so why would you start now?
The following 2 users liked this post by ddnspider:
BCNUL8R (09-17-2020), Kfxguy (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tyler Dietzenbach
I have an idea. Stop hijacking this thread with crap. Any moderators around? Half this crap needs removed.
Don't get your panties in a bunch, we're all just having fun.
BCNUL8R (09-17-2020), Kfxguy (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Damnit, who let Karen in here.
The following 4 users liked this post by 00pooterSS:
68Formula (09-17-2020), BCNUL8R (09-17-2020), ddnspider (09-17-2020), Kfxguy (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Don't get your panties in a bunch, we're all just having fun.
Fair assessment but none of this is helpful to the OP at all.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackram_air
I spin the tires now all stock. If I punch it I can spin till 3rd gear, my next tires will be Pilot Super Sports the Nitto Invo don't hook at all but do corner well. Thanks for all the info guys, I will look at the Yank SS, FTI SRLS and the Vigilante all seem very similar.

Just saw this post. Even the pilot super sports will be nowhere near good enough.

While I love the super sports, have even driven them at Michelin Plant 1's proving grounds in SC, they are no match for a decent size stall. They are for good dry grip and cornering, not being hit with a ton of torque from a stop. The car will want to spin around on you on any street tire that isn't a drag radial or better.

I ran 4 different brands of 315/35R17 drag radials on my bolt on and stall only car. Even with 315's, none of them would dead hook on the street, they all spun, but it was far more manageable. Street tires, every brand I had, were like driving on butter with that stall if I got into the throttle.

You do you, it's your car, but be careful the stall can bite you if you aren't prepared
Old 09-17-2020, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tyler Dietzenbach
Fair assessment but none of this is helpful to the OP at all.
I understand the concept of a street cam is tough to grasp. Were 3 pages in when cam choices have been asked a million times with a million answers. I think the question was answered to death around page 2 including stall choice. We might as well have some fun after that.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 587 Likes on 457 Posts

ya ok I’m always the bad guy lol then he also replied regarding cam motion. “Maybe they finally got with the program”. Lol. I read to much into that as well.
i have no bad dealings with them. I just prefer other companies ive had better luck with. I think I said (maybe in one of my pm's...because a couple people pm'd me about it) That I actually enjoyed worked there. Main reason I prefer other companies is because in my experience, the grind they would always recommend (not just to me but friends too that are local to them like I am) something quite a bit smaller than what would still be streetable and ideal. Now that was years ago, I'll admit. Maybe they are better now...but I've grown to like other cam companies better. I did not leave on bad terms, and do not have anything bad to say about them. The owner was always good to me. So dont think i'm trying to bad mouth them, I just prefer texas speed and summit because I've had better luck.
G Atsma (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 587 Likes on 457 Posts

You are the bad guy.

lol j/j
G Atsma (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
You are the bad guy.

lol j/j
LOL...Good group of guys here. I know several of us have thick skin and can disagree and debate topics while still respecting each other. My comments were really trying to get information about your experiences that cause you to form the opinion you have. I think you answered this via pm which is fair and those comments will be left in pm. I may not always seem like it, but I respect everyone here even if I disagree with them. It's the amount of knowledge here and the amount of help I've received that keeps me coming back. The disagreements and even some times heated exchanges some times bring out the most info. Sometimes it's just about having fun while talking about cars as well.

One thing that I think needs to be mentioned is that people with bad experiences are often more vocal than those with good experiences. That also doesn't mean that people with bad experiences should be ostracized just because they are outnumbered or go against the popular opinion.

These days I seem to learn more from the all motor guys than anyone else because boost is so easy and the attention to details isn't as crucial.

The following 4 users liked this post by BCNUL8R:
00pooterSS (09-17-2020), ddnspider (09-17-2020), G Atsma (09-17-2020), Kfxguy (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 2,434 Posts

LOL...Good group of guys here. I know several of us have thick skin and can disagree and debate topics while still respecting each other. My comments were really trying to get information about your experiences that cause you to form the opinion you have. I think you answered this via pm which is fair and those comments will be left in pm. I may not always seem like it, but I respect everyone here even if I disagree with them. It's the amount of knowledge here and the amount of help I've received that keeps me coming back. The disagreements and even some times heated exchanges some times bring out the most info. Sometimes it's just about having fun while talking about cars as well.

One thing that I think needs to be mentioned is that people with bad experiences are often more vocal than those with good experiences. That also doesn't mean that people with bad experiences should be ostracized just because they are outnumbered or go against the popular opinion.

These days I seem to learn more from the all motor guys than anyone else because boost is so easy and the attention to details isn't as crucial.
Good stuff.... As long as we are on the same page with the friendly elbow jabs... lol
And agreed about all-motor guys. With power adders it's always, "need more power? Up the boost!" Hence the trend to junkyard 5.3's. No "engine-uity" going on there...
Old 09-17-2020, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Good stuff.... As long as we are on the same page with the friendly elbow jabs... lol
And agreed about all-motor guys. With power adders it's always, "need more power? Up the boost!" Hence the trend to junkyard 5.3's. No "engine-uity" going on there...
It always seems it's the all motor guys saying boost is so easy.....and usually either they have never built a boosted setup or had a buddy who did and it was a mess.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

It always seems it's the all motor guys saying boost is so easy.....and usually either they have never built a boosted setup or had a buddy who did and it was a mess.
LOL my buddy's that went FI - it was a mess is right on the money for me...they all either trashed the engine quickly or ended up like this...four out of four

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 09-17-2020 at 06:06 PM.
ddnspider (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
LOL my buddy's that FI and it was a mess is right on the money for me...they all either trashed the engine quickly or ended up like this...
That's unfortunate. Once you know what you're doing and understand how to A) not blow the motor up and, B) know how to get the bugs out; it really is a blast on another level. Making 5/6/700whp and having the car act as quiet or as rowdy as you want with good gas mileage and being able to hold a normal conversation is a neat experience. And if done right your maintenance consists of oil and plugs lol.
G Atsma (09-21-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

What I see in the boosted world is state of the art fuel systems, tuning, and state of the art after market ecu systems. In the all motor world every single thing about the engine build along with state of the art heads and valve train are needed to squeeze out every bit of power potential. It's easy to be dismissive of people on the other side for example us boosted guys aren't going to spend $3000 on heads to achieve what another 2 psi will do and on the all motor side they may not appreciate the fuel systems we put together to feed these things with ethanol at these power levels.

There is something to learn from every one even turbo guys I'm personally some where in the middle as I'm not all about the junk yard motors or the all motor setups costing 15g+ to make over 600 wheel. I'm continuing to learn and I think at this point I have more room to learn on the engine building side. Some day I'd like to have a big inch solid roller with a big gear driven procharger. I have a long way to go both in skill level and financially before I can make that a reality though LOL
Old 09-17-2020, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

I think what I learned after spending money NA and on a forged crank, studded mains, ported heads blablabla on my first boost build.....KISS. Dont reinvent the wheel if you don't need to. Have a goal, give yourself some margin, and be realistic about your goals and expectations. I'm somewhere around 650-700whp with an LS6 intake, a $260 turbo, and maybe $250 into my fuel system. I've got about $4k into my entire motor rebuild and turbo kit. There is a difference between building junk and being prudent and smart with the $.
BCNUL8R (09-17-2020), wannafbody (09-18-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Just saw this post. Even the pilot super sports will be nowhere near good enough.

While I love the super sports, have even driven them at Michelin Plant 1's proving grounds in SC, they are no match for a decent size stall. They are for good dry grip and cornering, not being hit with a ton of torque from a stop. The car will want to spin around on you on any street tire that isn't a drag radial or better.

I ran 4 different brands of 315/35R17 drag radials on my bolt on and stall only car. Even with 315's, none of them would dead hook on the street, they all spun, but it was far more manageable. Street tires, every brand I had, were like driving on butter with that stall if I got into the throttle.

You do you, it's your car, but be careful the stall can bite you if you aren't prepared
I'm not looking for grip while launching the car. The Invo's now if I goose it to get out of my subdivision I spin. I just want to get traction form a not Grandma take off, not expecting to hold launching the car without radials. Fun note if I'm not mistaken the Michelin plant in SC you talk about is in Lexington about 15-20 mins from me.

I have been researching the Summit Ghost Cam, Titan along with others that have been mentioned. I do say the Ghost cam does look good just curious on if it becomes stealth at say 600-650 RPM's. Currently with my exhaust and K-member I need to hold about 600 to stop my vibration, its just annoying as crap at stock idle. While I don't want to introduce a shaking vibration that could upset the wife's vertigo both her and I would like it to sound better than stock.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blackram_air
I'm not looking for grip while launching the car. The Invo's now if I goose it to get out of my subdivision I spin. I just want to get traction form a not Grandma take off, not expecting to hold launching the car without radials. Fun note if I'm not mistaken the Michelin plant in SC you talk about is in Lexington about 15-20 mins from me.

I have been researching the Summit Ghost Cam, Titan along with others that have been mentioned. I do say the Ghost cam does look good just curious on if it becomes stealth at say 600-650 RPM's. Currently with my exhaust and K-member I need to hold about 600 to stop my vibration, its just annoying as crap at stock idle. While I don't want to introduce a shaking vibration that could upset the wife's vertigo both her and I would like it to sound better than stock.

Greenville spartanburg is where it is if I recall correctly, it's been 8 ish years.

And once you go to a decent stall, you'll find out for yourself about the tires.

The following 2 users liked this post by 00pooterSS:
Tyler Dietzenbach (09-22-2020), wannafbody (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Here is what the ghost cam sounds like in a 5.3, it will be even smoother/more stock like, in a 5.7

Old 09-18-2020, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

And @Kfxguy has the ghost cam, I'm sure he can tell you how it sounds at idle.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Ghost Cam is a bit too mild sounding at idle for most M6 guys.

Quick Reply: Street CAM thoughts