Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 rod knock or bad lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ls1 rod knock or bad lifter?

Hi, Um, I switched to full synthetic 2 days ago. I was warming up my car this morning and my brother goes out of his way to redline my car while it’s fully cold. After a short drive, I notice this sound coming out the engine... he tells me it’s a coincidence, I think he abused my cold car. Anyways, can anyone tell me if this is a rod knock or if it’s a bad lifter? Should I dump the oil and check for metals? What’s my next step... it’s a 98 Ls1 z28 with 93k miles. 6 speed :/ I also need to add that this video is taken at a fresh cold start and you can hear the noise get quieter after the first rev. I understand rod knock only gets louder as the car warms up so that’s why I’m thinking it’s a lifter?

Last edited by Bakir Bakir; 02-05-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,057 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Is your brother still among the living??
The following 6 users liked this post by G Atsma:
99 Black Bird T/A (02-07-2021), Bakir Bakir (02-05-2021), Kawboom (11-04-2021), rednari2 (02-08-2021), themealonwheels (02-08-2021), Woodylyf767 (02-10-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

That is how mine sounded when my lifter destroyed my ls1. Don't start it anymore, drain the oil and see what if any debris comes out. Pull the head remove the lifters. Pray the lifter just collapsed and the roller is still there (mine broke off)

Depending on the roller tip and the status of the lifter, Replace the lifters under both heads, perhaps the cam if need be, continue on with life. Punch your brother in the nuts.
The following 2 users liked this post by 00cls1camaross:
Bakir Bakir (02-05-2021), G Atsma (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
That is how mine sounded when my lifter destroyed my ls1. Don't start it anymore, drain the oil and see what if any debris comes out. Pull the head remove the lifters. Pray the lifter just collapsed and the roller is still there (mine broke off)

Depending on the roller tip and the status of the lifter, Replace the lifters under both heads, perhaps the cam if need be, continue on with life. Punch your brother in the nuts.
u jus ****** made me so happy that I even have hope of it being a lifter! I won’t start it anymore, if nothing is in the oil I guess I’ll start taking apart the heads. Why do you think it would need a cam?
Old 02-05-2021, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,057 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Bakir Bakir
u jus ****** made me so happy that I even have hope of it being a lifter! I won’t start it anymore, if nothing is in the oil I guess I’ll start taking apart the heads. Why do you think it would need a cam?
Because if the lifter went south and grenaded the roller, it would destroy the lobe. IF the roller did survive intact, cam should be OK.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

I won’t start it anymore
That's not a good sign at all.
Have you tried rotating the engine with the crank bolt?
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (02-06-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedXray
That's not a good sign at all.
Have you tried rotating the engine with the crank bolt?
it still turns on! I am just making the decision not to turn it on! I will post a picture of the oil tomorrow. I’m assuming i don’t need to drop the pan? As long as I drain it and check it right?
Old 02-06-2021, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it still turns on! I am just making the decision not to turn it on! I will post a picture of the oil tomorrow. I’m assuming i don’t need to drop the pan? As long as I drain it and check it right?
Sorry I misread that... to "it won't start anymore

I'd pull the valve covers and look for broken spring coil pieces.
Wiggle push and pull on the rocker arms looking for something loose in the valvetrain. If you find something not right at least you'll know which head to pull first... of the two.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I misread that... to "it won't start anymore

I'd pull the valve covers and look for broken spring coil pieces.
Wiggle push and pull on the rocker arms looking for something loose in the valvetrain. If you find something not right at least you'll know which head to pull first... of the two.
so u don’t think it’s a rod knock right? Keep in mind the video was taken right after cold start so the 2nd rev is what it really sounds like. I’ll check the oil tmr morning and hopefully start pulling the heads off if There’s no shavings
Old 02-06-2021, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1s are known to have mediocre lifters. My motor had its life ended because a series of a cold revs as well that ruined a lifter.

Not sure if you are a mechanic or not but there is a great guide on LS1howto that shows how to removed the heads. I'm a youtube mechanic so that guide was great.

--Also, as previously stated, if the lifter did turn or come apart, it more than likely messed up the lobe on the cam and thus the cam would need to be replaced or perhaps the motor like me.

Best of luck!! Here is a picture of my "tapping" lifter. I hope it is not this for your sake lol

Bakir Bakir (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 813 Likes on 620 Posts

Yikes
Old 02-06-2021, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so u don’t think it’s a rod knock right? Keep in mind the video was taken right after cold start so the 2nd rev is what it really sounds like. I’ll check the oil tmr morning and hopefully start pulling the heads off if There’s no shavings
I always hope for the best finding something irregular up top. If you have an issue like the photo of the lifter above... you will easily find that by removing the valve covers and wiggling/pushing on the rockers and pushrods. I've seen broken springs still holding the valve in place with pieces of the coils laying on top of the head that mimic the same sound. A rod knock can be isolated by removing one plug wire at a time. Without that cylinder firing the knock is diminished somewhat. I understand you not wanting to re-fire the engine.
G Atsma (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I always hope for the best finding something irregular up top. If you have an issue like the photo of the lifter above... you will easily find that by removing the valve covers and wiggling/pushing on the rockers and pushrods. I've seen broken springs still holding the valve in place with pieces of the coils laying on top of the head that mimic the same sound. A rod knock can be isolated by removing one plug wire at a time. Without that cylinder firing the knock is diminished somewhat. I understand you not wanting to re-fire the engine.

Bru I almost have the right side valve off. Got all coils off just don’t know how to remove this hose lookin thing from the back. The passenger side is really annoying cuz there’s 2 hoses going to the back that are blocking me from remove some bolts and I can’t reach back far enough with something to release the the hose clamps..
Old 02-06-2021, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The brake booster vac hose comes out with the manifold. Don't bother trying to undo it while the manifold is on.

Do yourself a favor and use www.ls1howto.com

there it will show you how to remove the manifold and then the heads. No guess work needed...
Old 02-07-2021, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

The brake booster vac hose comes out with the manifold. Don't bother trying to undo it while the manifold is on.

Do yourself a favor and use www.ls1howto.com

there it will show you how to remove the manifold and then the heads. No guess work needed...
so I should just take off the manifold to get ready to take off the heads? Might as well right? I’m jus hoping I find the problem as soon as I take off these valve covers. The passenger side is a bi***, there’s a hose in the way n I can’t get to the clamp
Old 02-07-2021, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

so I should just take off the manifold to get ready to take off the heads? Might as well right? I’m jus hoping I find the problem as soon as I take off these valve covers. The passenger side is a bi***, there’s a hose in the way n I can’t get to the clamp
In my opinion, yes. You said that it quiets down a bit as the motor warms right? If it was a broken spring it wouldn't quiet down, it would sound the same all the time.

My own mechanical knowledge is limited so I don't really know how to check the lifters without looking at them aka pulling the head. I forget what person said you can tell by pushing on the rocker/pushrod side or something, perhaps he can shed more light on that.

The hose I though you were talking about was on the drivers side so I am not sure what hose you are referring to. I don't have any hoses on that side except a few PCV hoses
Old 02-07-2021, 09:06 AM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

ROTFLMAO! At Punch your brother in the nuts.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

It does sound like a valve train noise but I wouldn’t pull the Intake off yet until the valve covers are off. Maybe you will get lucky and find something under the valve cover. I doubt it though. Good luck though and take your time
Old 02-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Default Ahhhhhh, is this my problem?

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
It does sound like a valve train noise but I wouldn’t pull the Intake off yet until the valve covers are off. Maybe you will get lucky and find something under the valve cover. I doubt it though. Good luck though and take your time

still haven’t done the other side, I’m not sure if this noise is normal, it only comes from some of them. I bet it’s my problem but can anyone tell me if I need to take the heads off? And I should probably check the other side right?
Old 02-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

https://youtu.be/CoXjtFAfI8E

still haven’t done the other side, I’m not sure if this noise is normal, it only comes from some of them. I bet it’s my problem but can anyone tell me if I need to take the heads off? And I should probably check the other side right?
some ls buddies tell me this is normal, I’m going to check the other side and drain the oil. Hope I find something anywhere but the oil.

Quick Reply: Ls1 rod knock or bad lifter?