Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 z06 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 z06 cam?

So I got a 5.3 in my 02 camaro z28 and I plan on supercharging it later so I was wondering if ls6 valve springs and a 02 z06 cam is a good combo or what do y’all recommend?
Old 06-06-2021, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,901 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Have you asked places like Texas Speed, Summit, Tick Performance or even a reputable tuner? Not trying to be smart *** but you'll probably get your answer way sooner then waiting for a response from someone who really knows what cam is best for your goals and setup. All of them will want more information in order to give you what they feel would be best. Will the z06 cam work? Sure it will but IMO get the supercharger on it with a good tune and go party.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I’m new to all this so any kind of advice I’ll take.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 689 Likes on 478 Posts

No matter what you're doing, if it isn't restoring an EXACTLY FACTORY motor to doing EXACTLY what the FACTORY made it do, in the FACTORY car that the FACTORY put it in, a FACTORY cam isn't the "best" choice for ANYTHING. Not ANY of them. Probably not even a "good" choice.

I believe that applies to your situation rather thoroughly.

Take G Atsma's advice and contact some cam mfrs.
The following 2 users liked this post by RB04Av:
G Atsma (06-06-2021), wannafbody (06-06-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the ls6 cam in my ls1 with upgraded valve train goodies and made 580 horse at 10 psi on a dream crusher dyno with a conservative tune. Torque is a linear 500 after boost comes on, I had him take some timing out so it would be more street reliable. Have 10k miles on build so far. No problems. I only went with the ls6 cam because I got it used for like 100 bucks off ebay. Budget was getting tight or I prob would have went with a purpose built boost cam. That was an extra 300 bucks. When the budget doesn't allow you're Fd
Old 06-07-2021, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

And, for another few coins, you could have made... 680 HP? 780 HP? Who knows?

If your budget is SO TIGHT it won't allow you to buy the right cam, you probably have no business building a turbocharged V8 in the first place. :twocents:
Old 06-07-2021, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
And, for another few coins, you could have made... 680 HP? 780 HP? Who knows?

If your budget is SO TIGHT it won't allow you to buy the right cam, you probably have no business building a turbocharged V8 in the first place. :twocents:
That's the dumbest **** I've ever read in my life. Stop giving advice on public forums, for everyone's sake. Obviously you've never heard of BUDGET BUILDS you nut stain
Old 06-07-2021, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everybody has a "budget". Some people's are just more realistic and in accordance with the desired result than others.

Yes I've seen people sweep up whatever was on the shop floor and build it and occasionally even run it. Yes even more occasionally it ran more than once. NO in no case that I can think of did it run better (more competitively, produce more power, last longer, burn less oil, use less fuel, cost less to maintain, ... you get the point no doubt) than a PROPERLY thought-out and matched build.

You can be as vile as you want , won't make your crappy-*** cheeeeep-out POS gain its other 25% OR MORE of what it could if you did it RIGHT instead of half-assing it.

Some of us know better than to use FACTORY cams (among other PARTICULARLY BAD factory parts) when trying to build a "high performance" car of any sort. Obviously some of us also don't, and instead of being HONEST and WILLING TO LEARN, post on message boards looking for cheerleading for their stupidity, instead of advice that will help make their results BETTER.

I would amend my original comment: If your budget is SO TIGHT it won't allow you to buy the right cam, you DEFINITELY have no business building a turbocharged V8 in the first place, because you're common-sense-resistant, and DESERVE to fail HARD.

Peace out. And the horse you rode in on.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:05 AM
Teching In

You sound like a complete idiot dude. What part of 10k miles and 4 years didn't you comprehend? My car burns 0 oil. My car is comprised of all different GM parts that work fine together. 317 heads, ls6 cam, ls6 valley cover, ls2 timing chain and gears. Yeah 600 horse power on a conservative tune for a street car is a joke. I bet you've never built **** in your life.. or else you would know all the nickle and dime **** you have to buy along the way to make it reliable. My car pulls 500 lb ft of torque to 6500 rpms from 3000 where boost comes on.. tell me where I went wrong you fool
Old 06-09-2021, 04:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Everybody has a "budget". Some people's are just more realistic and in accordance with the desired result than others.

Yes I've seen people sweep up whatever was on the shop floor and build it and occasionally even run it. Yes even more occasionally it ran more than once. NO in no case that I can think of did it run better (more competitively, produce more power, last longer, burn less oil, use less fuel, cost less to maintain, ... you get the point no doubt) than a PROPERLY thought-out and matched build.

You can be as vile as you want , won't make your crappy-*** cheeeeep-out POS gain its other 25% OR MORE of what it could if you did it RIGHT instead of half-assing it.

Some of us know better than to use FACTORY cams (among other PARTICULARLY BAD factory parts) when trying to build a "high performance" car of any sort. Obviously some of us also don't, and instead of being HONEST and WILLING TO LEARN, post on message boards looking for cheerleading for their stupidity, instead of advice that will help make their results BETTER.

I would amend my original comment: If your budget is SO TIGHT it won't allow you to buy the right cam, you DEFINITELY have no business building a turbocharged V8 in the first place, because you're common-sense-resistant, and DESERVE to fail HARD.

Peace out. And the horse you rode in on.
Years before you ever joined this forum, the 2002+ Z06 cam was THE budget go to cam for FI builds. You can easily eclipse 1000hp with one, and have a bone stock idle and emission compliance. While they are no longer the $150 option vs over $300+ for aftermarket like back then, they still work just fine. Your comments reek of inexperience and flat out ignorance. If you think you need the "latest and greatest" new fad parts to make power, you have no idea what you are doing.
Turbo2000 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Thank you Gametech.. this dude is an idiot. He's also acting like I can't just buy a 400 dollar boost cam and install it and get it re tuned in the future. I literally have all the supporting valve train.. again he's an idiot
Old 06-09-2021, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 475 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo2000
Thank you Gametech.. this dude is an idiot
LOL. 18 posts in and already you're in a pissing match, calling people names.

I agree with you on this subject, not your new enemy, but dude, calm down. It's only a forum. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by grubinski:
G Atsma (06-09-2021), Turbo2000 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grubinski
LOL. 18 posts in and already you're in a pissing match, calling people names.

I agree with you on this subject, not your new enemy, but dude, calm down. It's only a forum. :-)
I see what you're saying.. but I'm sorry that I'm not sorry. I don't take kindly to ignorance. I have 15 years in automotive tech experience an this dude is saying I had no business building my car to my own specifications. Don't come onto a public forum and spout ignorance or you're opening yourself up to get ripped apart. As it should be. I could have gone into why the ls6 cam is a decent choice for a boost cam.. the lack of overlap being one. At the end of the day is their better cam choices out there? For sure, I'm not arguing that. But don't come here an say if you use an ls6 cam for a boost option that you're a joke that has no business building a car. I took that personally
G Atsma (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

Nobody uses the Z06 cam anymore BECAUSE THERE ARE BETTER CAMS OUT THERE....
Of course it will work, for that matter the stock cam will work.
Ask yourself this question.... if you were doing cam swap on a 2004 z06 you were adding boost to, what cam would you be using??? .... NOT THE STOCK ONE..... lol

With that being said, if I had a Z06 cam and I COULDNT AFFORD an aftermarket cam I wouldn't hesitate to run it.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

To the ignorant, common sense often looks like ignorance. I'm glad you recognize COMMON SENSE (which is: don't waste cubic wheelbarrows of money on a supposedly high perf motor and then CHEEEEEEEEEEEP OUT on one of the CHEEEEEEEEEPEST parts of the build, in the name of "budget") as ignorance. Pretty much tells us all we need to know about how this is going to turn out.

Sorry, I'm not sorry either. Oh wait... I'm not sorry that I'm not sorry. Sorry, but not being sorry for COMMON SENSE is how it should be.

Obviously you've already made up your mind that this is what you're going to do. Nobody is going to talk you out of it. I'm not sure why you bother posting on a forum if you're not going to at least respect the answers you get. Most people here have enough COMMON SENSE not to just CHEERLEAD a bad idea. Which is what you seem to want, as opposed to any kind of objective honesty.

And yes of course at one time that was a good cam to use for such a build. Maybe the best there was, I couldn't speak to that, because I didn't try it at the time. Of course that was BEFORE there were any made that were really built for the purpose at hand. Just like, at one time, we all threw things at our food as it ran by, to slow it down long enough to take a bite. Or, put a flathead Frod V8 in our Hupmobile because that was "the best" there was and "everybody used to do it", in 1938. We're past that now/ We can do better. It's 2021, we don't have to settle for what has been bypassed by DECADES since.

If I couldn't afford an aftermarket cam I sure as hell wouldn't be building a turbo motor. :twocents:

However all that may be, go ahead and do what you're going to do, regardless of what anybody here says. It'll probably work "OK", as far as "OK" goes. Just don't be too surprised when the guy in the other lane MOPS UP THE TRACK WITH YOUR *** because he used a properly designed cam in his otherwise identical motor.

Quick Reply: 5.3 z06 cam?