Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

california LS1 cam/heads guys Enter.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow california LS1 cam/heads guys Enter.

I need some help guys! I live in Cali and I want more HP for my SS. I want to stay smog legal and thats what is scaring me. What is the best package for my camaro? My mods so far are GMMG exhaust, lid, K&N, plugs, wires, and other easy stuff. I want to feel real HP without going to the laughing gas.(car has more than 100,000 miles!) If I had the money, I would really like a ATI procharger, but living in Cali is expensive already!!! I would like to know the prices for every member's head/cam package? Thanks for your help guys. HP Newbie Here!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

SEE BELOW!! Cam only through a 12 bolt w/ 4.11. Not bad if I say so myself. It's smog legal to boot and has negative overlap.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Bowtieman-Thanks for the fast reply. Thats what I'm looking for in HP! What was the price for the custom cam and where did you buy it? Thats funny! I have a 406 block too, but its in the middle of the living room.(real heavy paper weight!) Thanks again 4 the info.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
SEE BELOW!! Cam only through a 12 bolt w/ 4.11. Not bad if I say so myself. It's smog legal to boot and has negative overlap.
Um sorry, no way in HELL you are smog legal with long tube headers and no cats, period. If you had cats you would probably pass to the sniffer but fail visual as no long tubes have a CARB number and are therefore illegal in CA.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Linear Velocity
Um sorry, no way in HELL you are smog legal with long tube headers and no cats, period. If you had cats you would probably pass to the sniffer but fail visual as no long tubes have a CARB number and are therefore illegal in CA.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

I guess I'm back to square one again???
Old 07-21-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
I guess I'm back to square one again???
Not really. With a nice set of heads, and a 224/224 114 cam, you can probably get 400 rwhp. You will have to have the right exhaust to couple with the motor. Probably some BBK or Hooker shorties, high flow cats on a y-pipe, and a cutout in the i-pipe.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FI with a carb number. you havent yet passed that threshold of no return with your mods yet. it might take a bit long to save up but a carb legal FI setup will kick the **** out of a smog legal n/a setup anyday.

but then again you fail to state what your really looking for. you can pick up some nice heads and say an ls6 cam, gt2-3, tr220 114, any stealth grind, or go custom. you wont break any speed records but you should have a nice streetable ride and still be 100% smog legal.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Cobra's!!!Lots of them too! (more then 12 around my area) One even has on his plates-IEATZ28 and another has 1FSTSVT... I'm out powered all the way around. They rev me up and I just ignore them. I raced one and it wasn't pretty. He pulled away pretty quick and then I learned to race those guys is a waste of gas. Bolt-ons are no match for a blown pony. I'm loud, but not fast enough!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

I would go the FI route if I had to do it over again. You could do the swap out every two years if you went with long tubes/ORP like me. There is plenty of cams out there that will pass the sniffer, and there are some vids posted here and there of some cam/bolt-on only f-bods putting some hurt on modded 03' cobra's. There is something I like about N/A HP over FI, but FI is easy HP and will pass the sniffer, plus it sounds cool..

Dan
Old 07-22-2004, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Dan for the reply. I've done the dress up on my car, but now its playtime! I got rims, exhaust, tint, sounds, and rest of the crap. I want to go deep into the engine now. Let's say someone would give you $2,500 to put into your LS1, but you have to pass the sniffer, what would you buy???? Let me know guys! My car is a 1998 SS with gmmg, lid, K&N, and other bolt-ons. Thanks again guys....
Old 07-22-2004, 12:45 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as already been said save up a bit more and get a blower and a good tune. 2500 bucks doesnt go very far and the smog legal and smog illegal routes are par on par the same price but the smog legal route will obviously net you less power; n/a that is. with the blower and typical bolt ons you'll be plenty fast and 100% smog legal. or go with some nice heads, small cam, emissions legal bolt ons, and run a 100 shot. when it comes to smog and mods in cali you either go all out smog legal or all out smog illegal. theres very little middle ground. i went the smog illegal route
Old 07-22-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Let me clarify because **** FOR BRAINS needs me to spell it out for him. He is asking for a smog legal cam not a smog legal set up. My cam is smog legal. No **** the header and off road pipe isn't smog legal. I guess it would take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Once again. The cam is smog legal. Now get back on the yellow bus and go back to Dumbshitville Forrest Gump. RUN FORREST, RUN!!!

I ordered the can through Speed Inc. They will order any custom cam for $379. You just need the specs.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

I kept the stock manifolds and stock Y so I can reinstall them every two years for smog. It only takes about four hours to do the swop. Not a bad comprimize for the extra power.

My cam was designed for an open exhaust. Its a very small reverse split 581/565 lift. It has a XER intake lobe and a XE exhaust lobe. If you plan on running stock manifolds and cats you will need to run a conventional split. Maybe a 218/224. I saw **** off to the cats and the exhaust manifolds. Keep them for smog.

Also, keep in mind that I lost between 12- 15lbs of rwtq and 12 to 15rwhp bt going to a 12 bolt and 411 gears. I would have been 410 rwhp and 390 rwtq w/ a 10 bolt. That's better than a lot of heads and cams combos. The stock heads are really good and they do really well with small cams.

Last edited by Bowtieman4life; 07-22-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Let me clarify because **** FOR BRAINS needs me to spell it out for him. He is asking for a smog legal cam not a smog legal set up. My cam is smog legal. No **** the header and off road pipe isn't smog legal. I guess it would take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Once again. The cam is smog legal. Now get back on the yellow bus and go back to Dumbshitville Forrest Gump. RUN FORREST, RUN!!!
Actually he said he wants "to stay smog legal." Never said anything about just the cam. "Smog legal" would imply visually legal as well. Oh, and calm down, jeeze.........
Old 07-22-2004, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered the can through Speed Inc. They will order any custom cam for $379. You just need the specs.

Why dont YOU go re read his post. Then pull your head out of your ***.. Which is where its always been. And 12.1 with 390whp and a moser isnt anything to be proud of
Old 07-22-2004, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

Look at the title. Yes his post states he is looking for a heads/cam package. I wasn't telling him to buy headers. I was telling him that my cam and cams in the 220 range are smog legal. SSaction, that was a brave statement coming from a pizza faced 5' 5" 130 lbs dork. See ya around the race track.

By the way, I haven't raced my car since I tuned it. I ran 12.01 at 117.7 with a stock clutch hydrolic system that was not working properly. My pedal was getting stuck half way down and I had to reach my toe under it and raise it for the secoond to third shift. I also hit the rev limiter which I have conservitively set at 6450 rpm from second to third. It has high 11's in it. Plus I weight 275lbs which is twice what you weigh. SSaction, lol, the only action you get is at the little yellow bus stop.

Last edited by Bowtieman4life; 07-22-2004 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

Leniar Velocity, I do notice that I wasn't as specific as I should have been in my first post. I was refering to my cam. Your post was a little abrassive and I reacted to it. My wife is having contractions as I post and we will running down to the hospital any minute. #3 on the way. I apoligize for the shitty comment. Now as for SSaction, I don't regret in anyway what I've posted about your hobbit ***.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

For $2500, I would get long tubes, ORP, ported TB, UD pulley, cut out, and a nice cam/springs that will pass the sniffer. I know the LT headers/ORP are not visually legal, screw it, just swap it every two years or put CATS on and find someone that will overlook it. You will see a very nice gain with those mods and later can buy some nice ported heads. $2500 doesn't go very far for modding, you can drop $1500 on a damn clutch alone, and $3K on a rearend and DS. Once you start, it never ends, trust me

Dan
Old 07-22-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Bowtie, no worries man. Sorry if I cam off abrasive. That does seem like a nice cam you have there, it probably would have complimented by setup more than my TR 224 cam and passed smog easier.

Quick Reply: california LS1 cam/heads guys Enter.