Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i use a Melling cam thrust plate with trickflow damper adapter bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i use a Melling cam thrust plate with trickflow damper adapter bracket?

So i’ve seen that some thrust plates for the lm7 have countersinks for the bolts, and others don’t. I bought a melling cam thrust plate with the countersink holes. I’m going to put a trick flow damper adapter bracket with ls2 timing chain setup and was wondering if the thrust plate having countersinks will not create a proper seal since the trickflow damper goes on top of the thrust plate and is going to be used with regular bolts. I feel kind of dumb asking but I just want to know if i should find a different thrust plate without countersinks or not.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

It's been a really long time since I installed my TFS timing chain dampener. Do the instructions say anything about what thrust plate you need to use?
Old 09-19-2022, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
It's been a really long time since I installed my TFS timing chain dampener. Do the instructions say anything about what thrust plate you need to use?
No the trickflow damper doesn’t have any instructions about what plate to use. i kept doing some research online and found a thrust plate without countersunk bolts off amazon and bought it though. Apparently the countersunk thrust plate is the updated design gm did, but some companies make the plates still with regular bolts. I don’t know how to delete a thread so thats why this post is still up though, but thanks for a response at least.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 337 Likes on 228 Posts

If you want the old style plate without the counter sunk bolts.... Mahle has it. Part # B31822
Old 09-22-2022, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

What about the old style bolts for that cam plate?
Old 09-22-2022, 09:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, i found the correct thrust plate from Mahle, part number B31822. Got it on amazon. It doesn’t have countersunk bolt holes so i used that one for this setup i’m doing with the trickflow ls2 timing chain adapter bracket with the damper.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by CattleAc
If you want the old style plate without the counter sunk bolts.... Mahle has it. Part # B31822
i stumbled on it online by accident the night i posted this, but you’re correct thats the thrust plate without countersunk bolt holes. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2022, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by gagliano7
What about the old style bolts for that cam plate?
i was more worried about the countersinks in the plate, the trickflow ls2 timing chain adapter comes with bolts. But I finally got the right parts.

Quick Reply: can i use a Melling cam thrust plate with trickflow damper adapter bracket?