Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nominal vs Measured Pushrod Length

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nominal vs Measured Pushrod Length

This is sort of a weird question, but is the length marked on a pushrod, say a Manley .080" wall pushrod, the nominal length? For example if I ordered a 7.375" pushrod is that what will be etched on the part itself?

My situation is this: I built this engine and used a pushrod length checker to determine pushrod length. I purchased Manley pushrods from a great company with great support who helped answer all my questions and determined I need a 7.375" pushrod. I put the engine together and it started and ran great, or so I thought. I got it running with open headers and maybe drove the car 20 miles like that. Seemed fine. I was finally able to finish my exhaust recently and now I hear a ton of noise from the valves. My suspicion is that it was always there I just couldn't hear it over the open headers. I suspected a collapsed lifter so I checked the rockers where I thought I heard the noise and immediately found 2 rockers (valves that were closed) that had a ton of lash when the car had only been sitting for a few minutes. Today I finally started pulling out pushrods and found they are marked 7.200" (no idea how this didn't catch my attention before I assembled it). They also measure 7.200" with a caliper. My understanding is that the actual measured length of a pushrod is not the "length" because of the parts that extend into the rocker cups, the oil holes, etc. which is why the length is determined with turns of the tool and not a caliper.

So my question is, are my pushrods which are marked 7.200" and also measure 7.200" correct for the 7.375" measurement I determined to be what I require?

I just wanted to gain more knowledge about this before I approached the vendor or pulled off the heads.

Last edited by Grant2k; 12-18-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You got the wrong pushrods.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:59 PM
Teching In

After further investigation I have found that not all of them are incorrect. I spoke to the vendor and he said he's seen this before with Manley pushrods and is taking care of me despite placing the order a year ago. So the lesson is check every part before you install it.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Whoever assembled the engine should have picked up on that.. How could you bolt town the rocker arms, and torque the bolt, and then not notice that there is excessive lash present? I... don't have the words..
Old 12-15-2022, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I didn't see you mention anything about preload in your original post but if you determined with the pushrod checker your length was 7.375 you also have to add the required preload to that based on whatever lifter you're using..usually you won't get a measurement of 7.375 with just the pushrod checker, it will be less than that, then you add say .050" preload to whatever number you got with the checker tool and order pushrods based on that. But from the sounds of it they just shipped you the wrong length all together.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:14 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

When ordering pushrods, always tell your vendor how you measured them, meaning turns of a bolt, or a caliper. That will tell them the difference. Also…NEVER start an engine on open headers. This is exactly why. Always finish the exhaust first unless it’s a race car, then you better be sure your right.

Last edited by Che70velle; 12-16-2022 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 05:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

7.375 would be a good number for heads milled .030". Assuming .060" preload. And stock base circle cam and stock rockers.
The following users liked this post:
grinder11 (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,005 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant2k
This is sort of a weird question, but is the length marked on a pushrod, say a Manley .080" wall pushrod, the nominal length? For example if I ordered a 7.375" pushrod is that what will be etched on the part itself?

My situation is this: I built this engine and used a pushrod length checker to determine pushrod length. I purchased Manley pushrods from a great company with great support who helped answer all my questions and determined I need a 7.375" pushrod. I put the engine together and it started and ran great, or so I thought. I got it running with open headers and maybe drove the car 20 miles like that. Seemed fine. I was finally able to finish my exhaust recently and now I hear a ton of noise from the valves. My suspicion is that it was always there I just couldn't hear it over the open headers. I suspected a collapsed lifter so I checked the rockers where I thought I heard the noise and immediately found 2 rockers (valves that were closed) that had a ton of lash when the car had only been sitting for a few minutes. Turns out they all have a ton of lash. Today I finally started pulling out pushrods and found they are marked 7.200" (no idea how this didn't catch my attention before I assembled it). They also measure 7.200" with a caliper. My understanding is that the actual measured length of a pushrod is not the "length" because of the parts that extend into the rocker cups, the oil holes, etc. which is why the length is determined with turns of the tool and not a caliper.

So my question is, are my pushrods which are marked 7.200" and also measure 7.200" correct for the 7.375" measurement I determined to be what I require?

I just wanted to gain more knowledge about this before I approached the vendor or pulled off the heads.
Most quality PR makers, like Manton, Trend, etc, etch the length on the wall. Che70velle is spot on here! Loud exhausts sound great.....AFTER the engine build has proven itself!! IDK how you missed the 7.200" etching, either. No matter how you measure them, that's obviously WAY off!! Off the top of my head, I can't think of any LS app using PRs that short. When it fired up, must've sounded like a typing class!!!! If you measure with calipers, which is the only way I know a home mechanic can do it, just tell the manufacturer of the PRs your going with how you measured, as Che70velle mentioned. Hollow pushrods lose the exact tangent point of the 5/32" radius (on 5/16" diameter PRs) on the very end, but it wouldn't amount to much. I agree with RonSS, that 7.375" would be pretty close on a -.030" head mill......
Old 12-18-2022, 06:16 PM
Teching In

In the end my set of 16 was mispackaged with 4 of the 7.2s thrown in. I did not look at each one individually before I installed them. The ones I did see all had the correct length on them so I just started throwing them in. They are clearly marked with the size. The open exhaust is why I didn't hear it but yes, once I did hear it a typewriter was a good description. 7.375" is the correct length. I measured them properly using the tool, accounting for preload, etc etc. After I torqued each rocker I didn't check lash on each one. Once the first couple felt good I just kept going. So complacency was my downfall. At least it didn't do any damage (this time). And I never considered the open exhaust hiding a problem like this. Live and learn I guess. Good thing I'm not a heart surgeon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant2k:
Che70velle (12-18-2022), grinder11 (12-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Nominal vs Measured Pushrod Length