Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wait is over...Stage 3 AFR Details inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Numbers Guys! Anyone wanna reccomend a nice cam?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless I'm wrong, from all the posted info it seems that if someone is going to get AFR heads that are ported by someone like TEA, then it does not matter if they are 205's or 255's. It only makes a difference if someone is going to run them straight out of the box. Is this correct? If so, then there is no need for some of us to wait on the 225 heads. And, let's see those TEA/AFR's on a n/a stroker, not this boosted stuff
Old 07-28-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
No flow #'s, we have had one on the dyno, it made very good power, the power was about inline with our best 5.3 heads, ...
Brian:
Is that in comparison to your stage 3 heads? (i.e. AFR 205 vs TEA S3 5.3l on a stock Ls1 bore)
Old 07-28-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Brian Tooley - What flowbench do you use?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Brian:
Is that in comparison to your stage 3 heads? (i.e. AFR 205 vs TEA S3 5.3l on a stock Ls1 bore)
No, that is in comparison to our Stg 1.5 5.3 heads, our Stg 3 heads make more torque. But our Stg 1.5 price is $1799, and the Stg 3 is even more. I can almost sell you a set of AFR 205's for that price.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you think that if someone bought the 205's that you or someone qualified to port, could port them to or close to where you are with the stage 3's? Im only asking for the few people who have bought the 205's and want more power.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
Brian Tooley - What flowbench do you use?
A flowdata, your close friend Craig at GTP uses one also. I think SAMS bench is about 1-4.5% below ours (your 330 cfm head flowed 330 on our bench, your 385 cfm Victor head flowed 399 on our bench)
Old 07-28-2004, 08:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mike m
do you think that if someone bought the 205's that you are someone qualified to port, could port them to or close to where you are with the stage 3's? Im only asking for the few people who have bought the 205's and want more power.
Absolutely, or should I say, of course, either way, there is plenty of material everywhere to open them up. BTW, who has bought the 205's and wants more power?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im just saying down the line, you know how it is, the car is never fast enough.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

We've got a set of 5.3's that Brian is porting from an as cast state. As soon as they are done they're going on my car and will be raced. My car is a street car, but I never miss track outings. This head will be a smaller Intake Runner than most of our normal 5.3 Stage 1.5 head. This will have 2.055" Stainless Ferrea Intake Valves and stock LS6 Sodium Filled 1.55" Exhaust Valves. This will be paired with a custom grind cam that I had ground 240/244 .608"/.612" on a 112 LSA with 4 degress of advance ground in. I'm planning on running at the Thunder Shootout in the Street Head/Cam class. If this head does well on my car expect to see a new CNC program for our 5.3 Liter stuff for the guys who want a more budget head. Now if we can just get Brian off the phone long enough to get back in the porting room...anyone got ideas? I also would like to thank Brian for the opportunity to work there. He is great about my school schedule and is all around the best boss I have ever had in my life. Brian knows about cylinder heads. I have grew up around LS1 cars since I started racing them back in 2000. I have been learning slowly about the art of cylinder heads. It amazes me to this day that there is so much that evolves around a set of heads. I always knew that the heads and cam choice were critical, but I never knew there was so much to a head. Go read the article I put on our webpage. It's called, "The Truth About Airflow and Horsepower." Brian wrote this article and it's a very informative read. http://www.totalengineairflow.com/tech/truthabout.php

to Brian Tooley

Last edited by Bhogan909; 07-28-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the price for a BARE set of these heads?
I already bought my valves, they are 2.05/1.6 with 5/16" stems and they are +.100 longer than a stock valve. Could these be made to work with your heads?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

A flowdata, your close friend Craig at GTP uses one also. I think SAMS bench is about 1-4.5% below ours (your 330 cfm head flowed 330 on our bench, your 385 cfm Victor head flowed 399 on our bench)

Actually, Craig recently purchased a SuperFlow SF 600 with FlowCom. I do believe his old bench was a Flowdata, however.

He's also porting a set of the 205cc AFR heads that are going to be used on the G-Force Corvette. I don't want to say too much, but he's got some numbers that are close to yours, but his were flowed on a stock bore. He's said he's got a little bit more work to do before he's happy with the numbers. Hopefully by Friday we'll be able to get his flow numbers posted up.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, or should I say, of course, either way, there is plenty of material everywhere to open them up. BTW, who has bought the 205's and wants more power?

How cute Mike M a member on LS1 tech who uses absolute speed's heads asked
"do you think that if someone bought the 205's that you or someone qualified to port, could port them to or close to where you are with the stage 3's? Im only asking for the few people who have bought the 205's and want more power?"
And got the answer of ABSOLUTELY,
haha. Nice humor their Brian.
Am I the only one who realized this?

Anyways, great work TEA, glad to see the bar raised again.
You guys are on top of your game.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
How cute Mike M a member on LS1 tech who uses absolute speed's heads asked
"do you think that if someone bought the 205's that you or someone qualified to port, could port them to or close to where you are with the stage 3's? Im only asking for the few people who have bought the 205's and want more power?"
And got the answer of ABSOLUTELY,
haha. Nice humor their Brian.
Am I the only one who realized this?

Anyways, great work TEA, glad to see the bar raised again.
You guys are on top of your game.
i saw that one too. thought it was good for a nice little chuckle.

good work on the AFR's TEA. i can't wait to see what some of the new engine combos are going to start making with these heads.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate how Brian Tooley will take the time to answer all these questions,but if I was him I would"nt tell how or where he took out this or that,if he did he could just sell or give away instructions on how to port your own heads,come on!TEA has proven to be as good as there is,I knew they would probably be the first to have a program for the AFR head.The 205 and the 225cc heads come from the same casting,like Brian said the casting starts at 170 cc all the same.This flow numbers are very impressive as the valve itself is probably the restriction now, not the port.And whats the difference if it is the same CNC program as for say an ls6 casting does that matter?Also to question TEA"s flowbench you got to be kidding, and EVEN if it WAS a little off it would still be a comparison to what they"ve been doing with the 5.3 the 6.0 and the ls6 RIGHT???I say GREAT JOB to Brian Tooley and the crew at TEA!!!!! THE 238 cc is not for everybody but if you need it you know where to get it!!! FASTONE!!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FASTONE
I appreciate how Brian Tooley will take the time to answer all these questions,but if I was him I would"nt tell how or where he took out this or that,if he did he could just sell or give away instructions on how to port your own heads,come on!TEA has proven to be as good as there is,I knew they would probably be the first to have a program for the AFR head.The 205 and the 225cc heads come from the same casting,like Brian said the casting starts at 170 cc all the same.This flow numbers are very impressive as the valve itself is probably the restriction now, not the port.And whats the difference if it is the same CNC program as for say an ls6 casting does that matter?Also to question TEA"s flowbench you got to be kidding, and EVEN if it WAS a little off it would still be a comparison to what they"ve been doing with the 5.3 the 6.0 and the ls6 RIGHT???I say GREAT JOB to Brian Tooley and the crew at TEA!!!!! THE 238 cc is not for everybody but if you need it you know where to get it!!! FASTONE!!
Thank you FASTONE, I just wish everyone knew how hard we worked to provide the best possible product, of course our competition knows. What you said is correct about this head, there are few people that need this exact type of head, but like you said, if they do, they know where to get it!!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

No flow #'s, we have had one on the dyno, it made very good power, the power was about inline with our best 5.3 heads, although the low end torque was a little down, just the opposite of what you would think. Maybe I should make a post about the dyno #'s of the AFR 205?
If you are talking about the Blue Meanie, you have my permission to post the dyno.

Thanks for tying it down on such short notice. It ran a crappy 11.66 @ 123.8 w/1.8 60' due to a loose nut between the throttle and driver's seat. But it still picked up just over 5 mph since it ran 3 weeks ago at 388rwhp, so the dyno is pretty accurate.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

PS - I REALLY should have brought those slicks you showed me. You were absolutely right. Had to pedal every pass.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You"re welcome Brian Tooley,I have an idea that it is hard to stay on the cutting edge like you guys at TEA do,I know you have a lot of experience at what you do not just LS1 but a lot of different heads such a sb Ford and Chevy.I really liked your raised port head that you did a while back.Seems the TEA heads make good power too.I like the way you will spend time answering HEAD questions on this board like posting the wts for different valvetrain components for that guy the other night,that was impressive. Theres a lot of good head porters on this board , but most don"t say too much about what they are doing.I think the way you and the other Brian get on here and chat with everone is good business,it makes you more familiar to everone too!Just keep up the good work!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:19 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Originally Posted by McRat
If you are talking about the Blue Meanie, you have my permission to post the dyno.

Thanks for tying it down on such short notice. It ran a crappy 11.66 @ 123.8 w/1.8 60' due to a loose nut between the throttle and driver's seat. But it still picked up just over 5 mph since it ran 3 weeks ago at 388rwhp, so the dyno is pretty accurate.
I think McRat's car did well for the "quickie" tune.I think once the tune is finished up the car will pick up power. I also think that if he ditches the 1 7/8" Kooks on the car and swaps over to an LGM he will find all the torque he was missing. I think those headers too much on his car...

Quick Reply: The wait is over...Stage 3 AFR Details inside