Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone break a spring with .581 lift cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone break a spring with .581 lift cam

I have been searching the archives about broken valve spring and LS1 engines. I am under the impression that most valve spring failures are from .590 up. Is this correct? Or, is there anyone out there with .580 lift cam that has broke a spring. Right now I have the MTI Stealth cam with Manley valve spring kit and Ti retainers. Since I have the car apart was wondering if there is a better spring choice now. I have about 6K on the springs. Looked at em closely but see no cracks or anything yet.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im sure people have just because its not some huge huge lift # doesnt mean it doesnt/wont put a hurtin on springs in time.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

I broke a dual valve spring with my little old TR224 cam. I made the stupid mistake of not letting it warm up long enough before driving on a cold morning. It broke at about 1800 RPMs.

Remember that a low lift cam does not imply that it is easy on springs. The ramp rate is probably the number one factor of breaking a spring, whether it be from valve float or just spring fatigue.

Also, as I learned, proper warm up helps tremendously in maintaining the longevity of your springs. I did try to drive on about a 15 degree morning, which many of us do not.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

Originally Posted by chino_man279
I broke a dual valve spring with my little old TR224 cam. I made the stupid mistake of not letting it warm up long enough before driving on a cold morning. It broke at about 1800 RPMs.

Remember that a low lift cam does not imply that it is easy on springs. The ramp rate is probably the number one factor of breaking a spring, whether it be from valve float or just spring fatigue.

Also, as I learned, proper warm up helps tremendously in maintaining the longevity of your springs. I did try to drive on about a 15 degree morning, which many of us do not.
I don't like the looks of you icon avatar. Looks like broken parts. :-( Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it was temperature dependant to that degree. Of course this being the deep south it is hotternhell right now.

so you guys are of the general consensus that most any spring will break with an aftermarket/ more aggressive cam, or is there some magic milage number that is coming out of all this. I'll try doing a search for polls on the number of miles before valve spring breaks.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Broken springs do occur when you don't allow proper warm up. The vast cause of spring failure though is definitely improper application. You must find where your coil bind is at and subtract your lift from your total install height. There should be a safety margin in there from bind. Most people that broke a spring did so because the spring was installed without checking any of the above info and they just put in a spring. REV got slammed for this when a certain tuner was recommending a common dual spring (1116) for use with a monster lift cam that was way too close to coil bind. One thing I can say is that I broke 2 springs (different brand/different occaisions) and both were on start-up with a moderate lift cam. (.570/1.7 rockers)
Old 08-10-2004, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

first break was at 3k miles on the springs and the second was at 1500 or so.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I broke my Precision Race dual valve spring due to cold reving (which I should know better)... My car has a moderate lift cam and rebuilt heads... Ideally, one needs to warm the engine up first before hitting WOT and going like a bat out of hell...

I have heard of the stock as well as the Precision Race spring breaking a lot lately and thus I am now going to the Patriot Golds as I have not heard of anyone (as of yet) breaking these...even during extreme racing conditions...but that does not mean it cannot happen either... Just like others have stated here...you can break any spring if not installed properly or if reved up prior to letting the engine warm up... Thank God I had dual springs as the stock single spring would have cost me a new or rebuilt engine long block...
Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

broke two with a 224/581 cam, but they were my patriots which were some of the first ones out and know for spring issues.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by USAF WS6 T/A
Yeah, I broke my Precision Race dual valve spring due to cold reving (which I should know better)... My car has a moderate lift cam and rebuilt heads... Ideally, one needs to warm the engine up first before hitting WOT and going like a bat out of hell...

I have heard of the stock as well as the Precision Race spring breaking a lot lately and thus I am now going to the Patriot Golds as I have not heard of anyone (as of yet) breaking these...even during extreme racing conditions...but that does not mean it cannot happen either... Just like others have stated here...you can break any spring if not installed properly or if reved up prior to letting the engine warm up... Thank God I had dual springs as the stock single spring would have cost me a new or rebuilt engine long block...
NOTE: I actually have the Rev Dual Springs... However the info above is what I heard from other techs that has had issues with them... I am now thinking of going to the AFR 8019 springs as they supposedly have not had issues with them and seem to be (from what I heard from other techs) one of the best out there...

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or technical info...please let me know...as I do not want to have to keep changing these springs and of course I will always let my engine warm up now prior to going to WOT... Lesson learned...
Old 10-04-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another spring to consider is the PSI 1511ML spring. Surface treatments for longer life. The PAC 1518 also has surface treatments. There is a lot more to this than just lift and ramp rate. Any loss of valve train control, even once, can damage a valve spring. So start with the seat and over the nose forces you need, measure during installation to get the correct and consistent installed height and look for springs that have good surface treatments to extend life. Installation is a big factor so don't just slap them in. Get the correct tools for installation. And don't use a spring tool that pulls on the coils, you need something like the Crane tool that pushes on the retainer and never touches the spring itself.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

I broke two, with proper warm up. I believe they were single coil Manleys. 224/228 581/581 XER.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X_03_Cobra_guy
I have been searching the archives about broken valve spring and LS1 engines. I am under the impression that most valve spring failures are from .590 up. Is this correct? Or, is there anyone out there with .580 lift cam that has broke a spring. Right now I have the MTI Stealth cam with Manley valve spring kit and Ti retainers. Since I have the car apart was wondering if there is a better spring choice now. I have about 6K on the springs. Looked at em closely but see no cracks or anything yet.
I had the stealth cam with patriot dual golds. then i swapped to a 224/228 .588 cam. still same patriots and im 36k miles on them, no issues. It is also an XER lobe fast ramp rate cam.

i always warm motor up to 150 oil temps before I nail it. ECS advised me this cam is not radical enough to stress the springs like big sticks do. even if it breaks, thats what the inner spring is for.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

I know this is an old thread but is anyone still breaking the comp 918 springs? I just broke one and it was the "new" design. My cam is a 228/330 with a lift of .574 int and ext. The guy I talked to at comp cams was amazed I broke a new one. Springs only have around 2500 miles on them. Always warmed engine before driving. And never raced it, just a daily driver.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Damn do I need to be changing mine soon? I always warm it up good before any beatings it gets but I have about 15k on them now. They are duals, not sure of brand of hand, whatever TSP sells their 5.3 heads with.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What was your installed height, lift and final clearance to coil bind when you set them up?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

All was within specs. Don't know exact numbers, springs were installed by a head shop near my home. My lift was only .574 on a 228/230 cam. Here is a picof the spring off the head.

Last edited by RADO_4U2NV; 01-18-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^that sucks...
Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
^^^that sucks...
Yeah and the warranty only covers the springs. So if I wiould have blowed the motor atleast I would have had new springs for my new motor

Quick Reply: Anyone break a spring with .581 lift cam