Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Car is at EastSide.. Dude I'm gettin a stroker.lol. any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car is at EastSide.. Dude I'm gettin a stroker.lol. any advice?

My car got dropped off at East Side a few days ago and the Check for the deposit is on the way..
I don't have all the specs on me yet from east side but I'll post em when I get em..
So far all I really know is
JE Pistons.
Eagle H beam rods
and Lunatti or Eagle 383...
I'm just wondering while I have the bottom end what else I shoul dask for if there is anything else..
I'm kinda on a limited budget but at the same time.. have teh block torn apart makes for good chances to get the less common more needed stuff done...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

what size cam are you going with?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Big price difference between Lunati and Eagle..+$1500 i think.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

Ken already quoted me.. He said he'll use which ever crank her gets first.. Why such a price difference? I don't know the bore and stroke yet either but then again when it comes to teh lower end part of the motor I don't know a lot...

I'll be using my LS6 GEN 3 Hotcam till I go with a head cam package later on...
The heads are still stock with an upgraded LS6 Valvetrain, Springs, Valves, retainers, and comp cam pushrods...
I don't know the specs on the LS6 Gen 3 Hotcam but it's a baby cam.. more sound then anything...

Last edited by D3IMOS; 08-30-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lunati quality and strength are much better...
you need to know the details if its your money...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

hrm 383 with a hotcam i would like to see what kinda numbers that gets.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:20 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
My car got dropped off at East Side a few days ago and the Check for the deposit is on the way..
I don't have all the specs on me yet from east side but I'll post em when I get em..
So far all I really know is
JE Pistons.
Eagle H beam rods
and Lunatti or Eagle 383...
I'm just wondering while I have the bottom end what else I shoul dask for if there is anything else..
I'm kinda on a limited budget but at the same time.. have teh block torn apart makes for good chances to get the less common more needed stuff done...
Sweet. Where is East Side? What part of Raleigh is it in? I will be interested in the quality of work that they do I can drive to Raleigh to get something done if I have to. Only 1 1/2 hours away.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude, put any other cam in there...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

what size cam are you going with?
-
I was planning on staying with the HOTCAM until I go with a head cam packagae in a few months.. I just need it to be a daily driver for now. until the summer..
----------------
Big price difference between Lunati and Eagle..+$1500 i think.
Lunati quality and strength are much better...
you need to know the details if its your money...
-
Then I'll definately ask for the Lunatti Crank....
----------------
Sweet. Where is East Side? What part of Raleigh is it in? I will be interested in the quality of work that they do I can drive to Raleigh to get something done if I have to. Only 1 1/2 hours away.
-
EastSide is in Wallingford CT.... They are an awesome shop and I used to live there so I left of my car there to get repaired.. Honestly I don't trust anyone else to do it...

Last edited by D3IMOS; 08-30-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Ported ls6 oil pump would be nice to upgrade since the motor is torn down.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just called ken.. He's workin on a write up for my quote.. He said that price he gave me would include an Eagle Crank..

I'll be sure to ask him about a Ported LS6 Oil Pump.. Thanks for the suggestion anything else you guys think of thanks a lot.. Is the OIL an internal part? or is it just easier to install it when it's apart?

Thanks so much Everyone! I can't wait to get my car back...
Old 08-30-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

The oil pump can be replaced when you do a cam change. D3IMOS it looks like you have alot of questions. I suggest that you do some research make a list of questions and give them to Eastside.
If I were you I would wait til I had everything (heads and such) becuase you are going to pay to have the long block assembled twice and pay twice for tuning.

you may need:
bigger fuel injectors
New Rear (driver and tire dependent)

Good Luck.

Last edited by 9T9BlueTA; 08-30-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

The oil pump can be replaced when you do a cam change. D3IMOS it looks like you have alot of questions. I suggest that you do some research make a list of questions and give them to Eastside.
If I were you I would wait til I had everything (heads and such) becuase you are going to pay to have the long block assembled twice and pay twice for tuning.

you may need:
bigger fuel injectors
New Rear (driver and tire dependent)

Good Luck.
Well I need my car to drive.. I have 3 pistons blown.. It's sitting in CT at the shop and I'm in NC with a Fulltime job catchin rides from family.
lol
I don't have to pay for tuning at all. I bought an LS1 EDIT account through them.. The deal is one time charge.. free tuning indefinately on all mods after that... I pay dyno time but thats it.. no tuning charges..

I go through a rear about once a year.. I will plan on going to a 12 bolt here in the next year or so when I do a H/C Change.. My primary goal is just getting everything bullet proof and taken care of that is in the shortblock that can only be repaired when it's apart now..

Luckily since it's a 98 I have the bigger injectors then the 99's and up..

Thank you so much and if I had a car to drive in the mean time I would do it in 1 step but in all reality I can't wait so I have to 2 it in 2 steps bottom end and then top end.. Thanks..
Old 08-30-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

I didnt know the car was down. It sounded like you just wanted to do it.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Restricted User

D3IMOS- your injectors are the same size as the 01 and 02. Only 99 and 00 had the smaller injectors. I would also recommend you go with a little larger injector, now or later at least. You will be using them at or over 90% IDC at WOT, which sounds like you do at least once a year, if your banging out rearends like that 9" more bullet proof then the 12bolt. I also agree an oil pump is way easier to do with it out then in the car. A cam, easy, but too many ppl *** up the o-ring on the pump = bad! What about ARP Rod bolts, I am assuming part of the rods anyway, but how about studs? That cam will be way smaller in the stroker than it was in the 346, so time for something with more Bump!

Good luck

Charlie
Old 08-30-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks.. I'll ask about prices for injectors... I'm not sure what you're talkin about with ARP bol;ts etc etc... Since I'll prolly be takin the shop back up there for the head and cam package thats why I was planning on waiting on the cam anyway.. Especially since the heads prolly couldn't handle a bigger cam right now right?

I dunno I'm so confused. lol
Old 08-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D3mios Ken will explain all of the options you can do for the short block, and give you recomendations and then you can see what fits into your budget and go from there, a good strong bottom end is a good start, and with your driving style it will bring you some sweet results when you get all of the components like one of our H/C set ups and a 12 bolt and that car will fly
just call ken with any questions and he will be more than happy to explain what you should do with your goals ya just got to tell him what you want to do and he will build it for you
Old 08-30-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

i would go with something alot bigger than a hotcam
Old 08-30-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's why I'm on here. I don't know much about bottom ends.. I don't really even know what to ask.. So I'm finding out as much as I can.. I want to thoroughly understand everything even bore and stroke.. Thanks though.. besides I don't wanna get on kens nerves and ask him stupid questions. I want to educate my self before I start drillin him with hows and whys and especially the what ifs....
Old 08-30-2004, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Dude.. your best bet. Talk with Eastside and the guy doing your engine. Sounds like you have alot of valid questions and there are varing opinions on this and other boards. Seems everyone does things a little diffrent. Speak with the shop doing the work. Tell them your conserns/questions and where you want to go with the project. Not just today but later on. If they are doing a lower end build up... now is the time to figure out the future. It will be cheaper now then later. If you are going to go high HP numbers then ARP bolts would be a smart choice. Call Eastside and speak with them plain and simple.

When I had Pat Musi do a race motor for me a few years back thats what I did... I was making close to 15-20 calls a day asking questions. Once Pat relized where I wanted to go and see where we were going with the buildup I recived calls from him asking about would I like this done or that done. I was explained what was done and how it was wise to do this so that when we did that it all worked. It only added a few extra days to the build but the effects were well worth it. I still have the motor and it still runs strong today as when I took delivery.

Call your builder. He will be more than happy to help you and inturn you will get more satisfaction out of the build later when everything is done and working together.

Bonedog