Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all cam info please...what means what and what does what

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default all cam info please...what means what and what does what

ok so since i cant drive for the next 3 years im going to start researching some cam stuff to see what cam i want to put in my car. i know about duration, overlap, lift, but i hear so much more, like ramp rate and reverse split and a bunch of other stuff. i want to get a custom ground cam so i want to know the details. is there a site that explains this or a cam expert on here that wants to help? lol ive search on here a lot and there is still some stuff im unsure of.

i know everyone asks about what cam to get, and i want to research my own but if anyone is bored and wants to read the rest and give me some kind of imput on what to do please do so.

the car is a 6 speed car. ill most likely be replacing the intake either with an ls6 or i hear a lot about the ls2 now with the bigger TB. gonna do injectors, oil pump, timing chain, springs, pushrods. anything else to do while im at it? i was thinking maybe ls6 pcv system if it is worth it. i dont really suck up much oil though so i think it would be ok. i have the stock rear end and gears so i dont want something that is going to buck a lot in the low rpms. i will be getting another car so i dont want a weak cam but i will still drive the car around town so i dont want anything too radical. dont wanna worry about springs too much so i was thinking lift in the area of about .581". im going back and forth between 112 and 114 lsa but the aggressiveness doesnt that also depend on what duration i want to go with? and the resultant overlap? i want to go bigger than a 224 or even a 228 if possible. waht is the benefits of having different intake and exhaust lifts and durations? durations i was thinking maybe something like a 228/231. i dont want to kill my fuel mileage, still would like to get about 15-17 mpg. and i want to drive down the road at 1500-1800 rpm wiht no bucking. im not sure about what i want for the cam and how it relates to the drivability i want. i would also like a cam to push me over 400 rwhp, figure the way the ls2 sounds it might be good to get with a good size cam. any imput would be great guys thanks
Old 10-06-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

any body have suggestions?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a thread by JRP and he has a cam section, it tells you all about cams and what means what also the most popular cams that are being used.
Are you only 13?If you are you seem to know a good bit already!The thing is a lot can change on the ls1 scene in the next 3 years,whats the best may be old news in 3 more years.The split duration means the duration is not the same on the intake and exhaust,usually the exhaust has about 6 more degrees.Reverse split means intake has more duration.Fast acceleration ramps are just what it sounds like,from 0 to .050 lift takes less duration same at .200 lift less duration to get there,in other words you get more lift with less duration.The drawback is it makes more valetrain noise and is harder on the springs, pushrods,rockers,etc.
Cam design is a great thing to learn but your heads are just as important!Its all in the combination of the parts that you put together that makes a great motor.

Last edited by FASTONE; 10-06-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it was me,i would add LT headers first,and then a cam.if your car has low miles,i wouldn't worry about an oil pump just yet.put your money where you'll get the most bang for the buck.i spent a lot of money adding this and that only to find minimal gains for the money spent.use the search feature,there is a lot of info on here that can help you learn and save money.i wish i would have used it more,it probably would have saved me at least a thousand dollars or more,lol.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have headers and all the bolt ons besides the intake, i have been searching this for a long time now but im getting serious about it now since the car will be down for 3 years. no im not 13 im 20 just lost my license for 3 years. but figured this would be a good time to mod cause i will have money and time. plus i wanna find a good cam to make that gmmg sound wicked at idle with lt's and no cats lol
Old 10-07-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

3 years eh? LOL You musta been REALLY bad.

Me.... I'd sell the car and sit on those payments for the next 3 years. It'll add up faster than you think. $350 a month for 36 months is $12,600. That'll be a fat down payment on a pimp ride when your good to go!! Plus, you know if you mod your car now you're going to have to "test" it, and if you get busted again it's your ****. ..... I know it sucks, but if you were my friend/neighbor/brother, that's what I'd tell ya to do.... Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear...

**Edit**
And if you add the money you plan on modding with on top of that $12.6k, you're even more in the gold. And the car's going to be 7 years old... Anyway, good luck either way. Just MHO.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

you are going to have to test the mods. If you are busted "racing your car" then you are **** creak with a strong curent with out a paddle.

I would say. Eather pull the motor so you can. Build that MO FO and take your time. Shine it up and ad some show toutches to it. Learn to well and make your own turbo kit. I would do something that would take a long time to do.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

i plan on doin a lot of little detail stuff i have been wanting to do but havnet had the time. my dad will drive the car for me and i can still race at the drag strip without a license i think, im gonna check into that but i think on private property u can drive, my friends uncle did that. the car is paid for so i dont have any kind of payments. i love my car too much to sell it so that isnt even an option
Old 10-07-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know it's none of my business, but what the heck did you do to get your license taken away for 3 years in NC?

Josh
Old 10-07-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Josh
I know it's none of my business, but what the heck did you do to get your license taken away for 3 years in NC?

Josh
some serious ****, lol.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

cop thought we were racing, honestly werent, and for some reason i took off. before all say how stupid that was i dont know why i did it, didnt think before i acted. it was dumb and i know it so dont say anything lol back to cams though. what is icl? what about ramp rates like advantages and disadvantages of different set ups. i have heard good and bad about reverse split too anyone wanna clear that up? and what kinda overlap would be good. i have lt's no cats and gmmg intake is gonna be swaped out but im keeping the factory heads for now
Old 10-07-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some reason you took off..... as in you tried to get away?? oops. Smokey don't play that game. Especially in NC man. You guys may not know it, but NC troopers are tougher than most other states. This 50 state click it or tickit thing started there. I had 5 tickets within 6 months of getting my Z out there. I definately learned my leasson though!! LOL 2 years latter, and not another one since. $340 a month for insurance hasn't helped much.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

trust me i was gone. they didnt CATCH me i screwed up and then they got me. come over a hill on the shitty brakes i had and then the front wheels locked up and i did a little off roading. the troopers that ended up in the chase were cool. they were complimenting me and **** lol and asked why a honda would try to race a trans am haha they are a little nicer to the muscle cars, but they bash on the imports bad. at least from the ones i was talkin with
Old 10-07-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

anyway....back on topic
Old 10-07-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I read your thread lastnight I thought this kid knows a fair amount about cars,Just figured with 3 years to go before he could drive must be about 13,of course I don"t know of many 13 yearolds with a nice car and the money to mod it! No offence I hope!!
Icl means at what degree atdc the cam is at the center of the lobe,If you have a 110 lda and you install it at 110 icl then it is straight up, if you install it at 107 atdc it is 3 degrees advanced.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Try to find anything by David Vizard on this subject.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i think i have some things figured out now. but what icl would i want to get? what about 112 or 108, whats the difference?

and what about ground in timing advance?

i have seen 114+4 or something like that what does that mean?

and trying to figure out what kinda overlap i want

here is what i have come up with so far....
not thinking taht the reverse split would be good, no need to get in more air without being able to push it out for as long. so im thinking of a duration somewhere along the lines of a 228/231 or 231/234. just gotta figure out how to calculate overlap. im guessing that the more the over lap the rougher the idle and the crappier the low rpm driving is, but it would make more power. what kind of overlap should i look for for good around town driving with 3.42's or should i get some 3.73's? i was thinking 112 or 114 lsa depending on the amount of overlap to shoot for. i would figure 0 deg of overlap would not give much of any cam surge and be ok. maybe get +2 overlap or something like that to get a good flow out the exhuast to suck taht air in better, then i dont have to compensate by a bigger intake lobe and then all the crap exhaust will be out for good combustion. i was thinking about a lift of about .581/.581 but i dont wanna go too big i want to put springs in i wont have to change out. should i go smaller or could i go bigger? but i figure something around .579-.583 would be my range, if the springs cant hold that then let me know. now i just need to figure out a ramp rate, icl, any ground in timing (most likely none right? or a few deg?) i am thinking the ramp rate has to do with the duration at .006". what about the lash?whats taht about?

hmmm reading about the over lap is one of the keys for mid range power. what is a good over lap to have for good mid range?

sorry so long just tryin to cover it all. hopefully this will help some otehrs too. any other factors to look at in the cam?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

anybody?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ICL don"have anything to do with overlap!LDA is ground into the cam and is not adjustable.ICL is where the cam is in relation to the crankshaft and is adjustable. The 114+4 is 114 LDA with 4 degrees of advance ground in when the cam was made.It will be installed at 110 ICL.LDA does affect overlap.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

i was told the lsa has to do with overlap its in the equation or something like that. how do u find overlap of the lobes then? i thought there was some equation with duration and the lobe separation that gave the degrees of overlap. i figured out icl now

Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 10-08-2004 at 06:35 PM.