Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know the spces on LG Motorsports Juggernaut cam??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
then buy from another vendor that DOES disclose the specs... ive yet to have a single unhappy customer with a G5 cam in his car and I continue to sell them with no problems... I think the fact that you really need the specs so bad is more the fact that you cant have them that makes you want them, or you are just looking for an argument.

No actually it is because I like to continue education and learning about what makes these motors run. I am sure your customers are happy with the G5 cam, big deal, I am sure they would be happy with alot of different cams in their cars. Just about any cam with a decently agressive ramp, duration over 224, and lsa's in the 110-115 range will add 40 + hp to the car ( with longtubes ofcourse).

I have always like to spec my own cams and like I said before, knowing just the specs at .050 leaves alot of other room for tricks of the traid. The Valve events could be very very different for two cams of the same spec at .050, ramp rates as well.

I don't doubt LG and thier results, just the hide the weeny b.s.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, from personal experience with a MTI, If I didn't get the specs for the Stealth II cam (was LUNATI grind), I couldn't have found that the cam I got was from a bad batch,and i would have found myself cursing and wondering why that cam wasn't performing as suposed to.
Thanks to the cam card and another board member degreeing it before install, we were able to establish that the Lunati grind was all out of wack. Since then MTI went with a Comp grind and we got a true stealth XE-R that performed as designed.

All this would not have been possible if we didn't have the specs at .006 and .050.

So I agree that blindly putting a cam in is not a good idea and that sponsors not wanting to divulge cam specs is BS unless those sponsors only sold these cams as installed (since they know specs, they can degree them and garantee proper install). Selling it outright without specs is stupid and does not protect their R&D or product from copiers, since all it takes is a cam doctor to know it all, and cloners could still clone it.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedReaper
Yeah I guess 436 rwhp and 398 rwtq is sooooo much higher than my HPand alot more than my TQ . Noone ever said I could drive.

not tryin to get in an arguement with you...but the sig is old.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd@DiscountTireDirect
not tryin to get in an arguement with you...but the sig is old.

I was just messing with you anyway. I know I need to change a few things to get more power out of the motor. Its my only car and I am trying to keep it somewhat streetable and I would like to be able pass gas stations without having to stop. I need a bigger cam, better heads, more compression, bigger headers and bigger intake and throttle body. Theres alot of room for improvement on my motor.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Too well said... next time you get out dyno'd, out ran or just plain killed at the track by a LG customer, make sure to brag to him that at least you have your cam profile... see if the results change!

Thats a bunch of crap. I don't care what is out now. But my roommate handed Lou his *** so bad on the hwy when he had his "at the time" badboy G5X3 in his vette that Lou drove straight to the shop and wrote a note on the windsheild saying fix this piece of ****! The car that handed him his *** was an '03 Z06 with exhaust and M2 cam on a nitrous tune, no bottle in the car at that time, with 2 people in the car. It was hilarious watching the secret cam specs get drug down the hwy by a cam we knew the specs about! hide the specs all you want. I still find it naive to buy something you aren't allowed to know what you're buying. Thats like buying a house without knowing anything about it, you just wouldn't do it if you had any common sense. But I understand there are superficial syno queens out there that just want the biggest #'s and don't care to know **** about their stuff and I find that sad and have no respect for that but hey thats just my ignorant point of view.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't get why everyone wants the cam of the week here? Best bet is to go custom, it will work better with every application as opposed to off the shelf. Sure it costs a few bucks more but what's worth more a few hundred dollars or a few tenths at the track?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

The very best bet is to do research and choose the cam yourself. You may not nail it 100%, but you will get closer then an off the shelf grind, and even closer if you know what you are doing.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

SSonyoursix,
I didn't know that the fastest cam only car has an LG cam in it ??

Oh shoot I remember now, it is a 2950 lbs car that broke 3 times out of 6 runs, shifting 7500 rpm on a stock bottom.

Do you think that cam will be reliable for the street??

Hmm, the other ones have a T-rex in, shoot I know those specs, hmmm that is not fun I want a specless cam.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-16-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tweakd
Thats a bunch of crap. I don't care what is out now. But my roommate handed Lou his *** so bad on the hwy when he had his "at the time" badboy G5X3 in his vette that Lou drove straight to the shop and wrote a note on the windsheild saying fix this piece of ****! The car that handed him his *** was an '03 Z06 with exhaust and M2 cam on a nitrous tune, no bottle in the car at that time, with 2 people in the car. It was hilarious watching the secret cam specs get drug down the hwy by a cam we knew the specs about! hide the specs all you want. I still find it naive to buy something you aren't allowed to know what you're buying. Thats like buying a house without knowing anything about it, you just wouldn't do it if you had any common sense. But I understand there are superficial syno queens out there that just want the biggest #'s and don't care to know **** about their stuff and I find that sad and have no respect for that but hey thats just my ignorant point of view.
there is a LOT more to a car then what cam is in it... one of my customers runs 12.5s with a 224 cam running 4.10 gears, while a couple others are stuck running 12.7s with an X3 and stock gears... also some have more supporting mods then others.

When it comes down to it LG still holds ALL the records
Old 11-16-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
I still don't get why everyone wants the cam of the week here? Best bet is to go custom, it will work better with every application as opposed to off the shelf. Sure it costs a few bucks more but what's worth more a few hundred dollars or a few tenths at the track?
best bet is to go custom IF you know what you are doing and what you are ordering... fact is though 90% of this board has no clue what they are talking about... plain and simple. I do find it hilarious though when guys "design their own cam" then cant get it to idle, it surges like crazy, or has gaps in the powerband...

Everyone is always out to recreate the wheel and for some reason LS1 owners tend to think they are god and know more than everyone else... not pointing at you specifically but just people in general
Old 11-16-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
SSonyoursix,
I didn't know that the fastest cam only car has an LG cam in it ??

Oh shoot I remember now, it is a 2950 lbs car that broke 3 times out of 6 runs, shifting 7500 rpm on a stock bottom.

Do you think that cam will be reliable for the street??

Hmm, the other ones have a T-rex in, shoot I know those specs, hmmm that is not fun I want a specless cam.
[vin diesel voice] It doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile... winnin is winnin
[/vin diesel voice]

excuses only make you look worse when you lose
Old 11-16-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is to you Vinny
Old 11-16-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grind your own cams, go to a different vendor, it doesn't matter to me.

I'm sharing all my R&D with you guys to HELP you, what you do with that info
is up to you.

I didn't prove my point on the dyno, I did it at the track, where it counts.

If I wanted to do the dyno tricks, you can bet your *** I could pull*AT LEAST* 420/450 out of an unlocked TH400.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

best bet is to go custom IF you know what you are doing and what you are ordering... fact is though 90% of this board has no clue what they are talking about... plain and simple. I do find it hilarious though when guys "design their own cam" then cant get it to idle, it surges like crazy, or has gaps in the powerband...

Everyone is always out to recreate the wheel and for some reason LS1 owners tend to think they are god and know more than everyone else... not pointing at you specifically but just people in general
No I believe that you're wrong the best is ALWAYS CUSTOM. I did not say do it yourself, designing your cam out of a catalog is far cry from custom.

I can not even begin to explain what goes on in the creation of a lobe made just for a cam just for a specific setup. I would say all but 3 people on this site (to my knowledge) are in the same boat. There is so much more to a camshaft than just the specs @.50

BEST BET is to find someone who you trust and give them all the details from Head flow with the intake on, to the specs on the pistons you are using to the length of your header primary's and the whole other 9 yards.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

No I believe that you're wrong the best is ALWAYS CUSTOM.
I agree with that.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No I believe that you're wrong the best is ALWAYS CUSTOM. I did not say do it yourself, designing your cam out of a catalog is far cry from custom.

I can not even begin to explain what goes on in the creation of a lobe made just for a cam just for a specific setup. I would say all but 3 people on this site (to my knowledge) are in the same boat. There is so much more to a camshaft than just the specs @.50

BEST BET is to find someone who you trust and give them all the details from Head flow with the intake on, to the specs on the pistons you are using to the length of your header primary's and the whole other 9 yards.
as some of you may know i went with a custom cam from Ed Curtis (EDC). when i put the cam on a cam doctor last weekend i was taken back by the design. "reverse spit" is almost a misnomer . duration @.050 really doesnt tell you ****. and FWIW the cost of my truly custom cam was no more then what most sponsors are charging.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

The G5 cams ALL started somewhere, just like the juggernaut cam did with Sean... chances are they were a one off cam for one person... a CUSTOM cam mind you that many people decided that it suits their CUSTOM setup as well... the results are very close on all these CUSTOM cam setups because they are all very similar in mods... most mods being intake, bolt ons, stock heads etc. So in reality the G5 cams ARE CUSTOM cams... its just a mass produced custom cam. Custom cam doesnt exactly mean that its a one off that no one else has because sooner or later someone will notice you have an identicle setup to them and want to copy the results... Lou has just been smart enough to market that niche with a cam that seems to taylor to 90% of the peoples needs!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:08 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The G5 cams ALL started somewhere, just like the juggernaut cam did with Sean... chances are they were a one off cam for one person... a CUSTOM cam mind you that many people decided that it suits their CUSTOM setup as well... the results are very close on all these CUSTOM cam setups because they are all very similar in mods... most mods being intake, bolt ons, stock heads etc. So in reality the G5 cams ARE CUSTOM cams... its just a mass produced custom cam. Custom cam doesnt exactly mean that its a one off that no one else has because sooner or later someone will notice you have an identicle setup to them and want to copy the results... Lou has just been smart enough to market that niche with a cam that seems to taylor to 90% of the peoples needs!
the G5 series cams are just off the shelf XE-R lobes from the comp catalog are they not?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:09 AM

Yup...sure are...
Old 11-17-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

As stated above the G5 camshafts are off the shelf XE-R camshafts. Nobody's setup is identical, even people with the same heads done by the same people have different variances in flow numbers. Even when they are done on a CNC machine.

Quick Reply: Anyone know the spces on LG Motorsports Juggernaut cam??