Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know the spces on LG Motorsports Juggernaut cam??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
the G5 series cams are just off the shelf XE-R lobes from the comp catalog are they not?

No, not all of them. Just some.

And "Tweakd", your room mate beat a 7 cylinder C5 with a broken valve spring a year ago, back when we used Rev springs, which broke too often with our cams. I am no drag racer, but our G5X-3 Cam and head package is no slouch and I will "roll" in at a 50 punch with any NA car.

We did the Cam special for Shawn M since the first cam that we sent him lost 60 ft time. he is a racer, and had no problem changing the cam to test the Juggernaut cam(G5X-4 cam)

Why don't we give out the specs? Because we don't like doing the R & D for other shops. Shawn tried 3 of our cams now. Only one cam worked the best. Now they were all "Good" but as in everything in racing, only one worked the "best" of the 3. So why should we pass that info out. As it is, the direction that cams for the LS1 has gone from "Reverse Split" to the direction that LGM has gone.

But like Shawn M has found out, not all cams are created equal.

Ck out the video of the "G5 Double X" cam below. Also, here is a graph of a simple G5X-3 Cam and LG/AFR head package with our LG Headers on a Z06. 467rwhp 431rwtq with stock LS6 intake and stock TB and cats. We shipped the package out to him. he installed it and LS1 speed tuned it. Consistency is the key. It is a proven combo and it is a daily driver.

Thanks to Shawn and all who have tested used our products. We live for horsepower and speed. I have smelled gas and rubber for the last 33 years in racing. This is how I have chosen to make a living. Only my son Louis is entitled to the knowledge that 33 years has given me.

I appreciate my customers.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
LGM

here is a video of our G5-XX cam
http://users2.ev1.net/~vetdream/lg/lg140.wmv

Graph:
Old 11-17-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
As stated above the G5 camshafts are off the shelf XE-R camshafts. Nobody's setup is identical, even people with the same heads done by the same people have different variances in flow numbers. Even when they are done on a CNC machine.
If you read closer... MOST HAVE STOCK HEADS.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
If you read closer... MOST HAVE STOCK HEADS.
Not all stock heads flow the same. Variances by year, I believe Thunder posted these flow test results a couple years ago.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Why don't we give out the specs? Because we don't like doing the R & D for other shops. Shawn tried 3 of our cams now. Only one cam worked the best. Now they were all "Good" but as in everything in racing, only one worked the "best" of the 3. So why should we pass that info out. As it is, the direction that cams for the LS1 has gone from "Reverse Split" to the direction that LGM has gone.

We live for horsepower and speed. I have smelled gas and rubber for the last 33 years in racing. This is how I have chosen to make a living. Only my son Louis is entitled to the knowledge that 33 years has given me.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
LGM

Lou,

I am not questioning your results and I don't believe most other people here are either. Hell you have been involved in motorsports longer than I have been alive.

What I don't get is this, what is to stop "X" shop from purchasing your cam, either directly or indirectly and cam doctoring it. Then all your experience and R&D is gone just the same.

Any shop that is going to pirate your ideas has to do that anyway, with or without advertised specs. Because like said many times before in this thread, specs @ .50 are useless on thier own.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont get why everyone is getting all pissy over the specs. All you REALLY need to know about a cam is....
What gears work best with it
Whats the RPM range
What type of spring is needed
Hows the drivability
What kind of power/torque it makes
Will it fit your particular motor
and so on
The specs do nothing for you unless you get involved in some dick measuring contest and want to brag about whose cam is bigger. Nobody bitches at coke and pepsi for not releasing theyre formulas for the cola drink, so why bitch at LG for what theyre doing.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Question

Is the G5X4 (juggernaut) cam even for sale?

I called LG last week and the sale's guys didn't know what I was talking about.

Last edited by Cobraeater; 11-18-2004 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XIII
Lou,

I am not questioning your results and I don't believe most other people here are either. Hell you have been involved in motorsports longer than I have been alive.

What I don't get is this, what is to stop "X" shop from purchasing your cam, either directly or indirectly and cam doctoring it. Then all your experience and R&D is gone just the same.

Any shop that is going to pirate your ideas has to do that anyway, with or without advertised specs. Because like said many times before in this thread, specs @ .50 are useless on thier own.

Seems like being real secretive to potential customers just to keep people from stealing your ideas doesnt do anything more than turn some people away. Ever since I have been messing with my car, which I know isnt very long compared to some guys, I have never had an issue getting the soecs for a cam I am thinking about purchasing. Most have them right on their website. If I wanted to steal your cam specs I would simply buy and then have it speced out myself like stated above. I am out $400 but have the "secret" cam specs.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
Not all stock heads flow the same. Variances by year, I believe Thunder posted these flow test results a couple years ago.
and lemme guess, people need to get custom cams, and to get those custom cams they should all yank off their stock heads and get them flowed so they can match a custom cam to them?

Yeah I think I will stick to selling G5 cams made for general stock heads
Old 11-17-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cobraeater
Is the G5X4 (juggernaut) cam even for sell?

I called LG last week and the sale's guys didn't know what I was talking about.
it sure is
Old 11-17-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
I dont get why everyone is getting all pissy over the specs. All you REALLY need to know about a cam is....
Whats the RPM range
Hows the drivability
and so on
The specs do nothing for you unless you get involved in some dick measuring contest and want to brag about whose cam is bigger. Nobody bitches at coke and pepsi for not releasing theyre formulas for the cola drink, so why bitch at LG for what theyre doing.
How do you degee a cam without specs? Or do you shove it in there and hope for the best???
Old 11-18-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
How do you degee a cam without specs? Or do you shove it in there and hope for the best???
Dot-to-dot works for me.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dot-to-dot works for me.
with the size of these cams i wouldnt trust my motor to the 'dot to dot' method.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dot-to-dot works for me.
Just what I thought. So let us say you are given the wrong cam, or it was misground you would never know about it.

Sorry but that is not the advice ANY of our sponsors would give.
They all say "You must degree any cam regardless of how big it is".

I hope other members will avoid taking comments like the above quote for granted and follow safe and established cam install procedures.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Well, I never "give out" the specs of any custom cam design without getting paid up front for the cam...

However, when the customer does get that custom cam, there is more information on the cam card about that profile than any other shop provides. You paid for the info and you get it. Just not for free...

Ed
Old 11-18-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whats the RPM range
Hows the drivability
and so on
No, that is all you really need to know about a cam because you don't have any interest in what factor produces what result and that is the path you have chosen. Others, like myself and alot of members on this board, want to learn and make the best choice for my/their combination of parts. Unless you sit down on a face to face consultation with one of these sponsors and go over every detail of your specific combination of parts and your needs then a better cam may be chosen. Yes they may have several cams that are very close to your requirements and will make excellent power but not perfect or atleast not as close to perfect for you combo and needs as going outside the box may produce. In other words, I wouldn't call it a dick measuring contest.

For the ls1 community to farther its knowledge of what works in these motors specs need to be realized as well as results from each change. Sponsors that hide specs are counter productive to this farthering of knowledge and that is it. I know of atleast one car that runs a sponsors cam on this Site with posted specs that wieghts 300+ more pounds and runs almost identical times (within a couple hendreths) to a certain sponsors XXX cam'd car.

You also need to realize that sharing specs only goes so far. I find that alot of the time you can tell people things and they will either act on them because they want to further their knowledge (seldom in my experiences) or they just look at you like you are talking jibberish and keep on the path of an off the shelf grind. I don't think there are sales to be lost be giving out the specs, at least in the manner that the specs are given out on this Site.

Now, if you were to list the advertised duration, duration at .050" lift, duration at .100", duration at .200", duration at .300", duration at .400", duration at .500", all the way up to peak lift, Intake Center Line (ICL), Lobe Separation Angle (LSA), and lobe flank dimensions, then I could copy your cam.

As said many times before duration at .050" only is not comparable between one cam to the next.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
No, not all of them. Just some.

And "Tweakd", your room mate beat a 7 cylinder C5 with a broken valve spring a year ago, back when we used Rev springs, which broke too often with our cams. I am no drag racer, but our G5X-3 Cam and head package is no slouch and I will "roll" in at a 50 punch with any NA car.

I'm sure you would put a heads and cam car up to anything but he was a cam only car with 2 people in it on a nitrous tune not a heads and cam car in race weight mode. If memory serves me rigth JS12 (Jamie) who was a G5X3 car got beat by Chris McKinney's exhaust only '02 Z06 motor to motor either that or they both were bottle to bottle and McKinney was 100dry shot and Jamie was bigger then then that. Either way I don't see any sense in hiding information. As people have said previous to my responses @ .050 doesn't give your secrets away. I don't think your products suck in LSx cars, all I'm saying is "WE" the people paying shops like yours expect to know what we are investing "OUR" hard earned money on and not treated like a theif of cam specs. We are all big boys and big girls, so what if one person knows some of the cam specs and calls comp to custom grind a similar cam, most likely they won't come out with the same grind as you're producing. I think too much focus has been put on the shop wars versus the actual customer experience.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

G5X-3 Cam only Graph: This cam only car is a daily driver

And great video if you missed it.
http://users2.ev1.net/~vetdream/lg/lg140.wmv

LG
Old 11-18-2004, 10:22 AM
9 Second Club

Who cares about cam specs it's about what works, I didn't like the idea of not knowing my cam specs from Lou either but once I dynoed my car I was more than pleased. A 372ci Th400 car on a 29in slick making 472rwhp and 513lbtq is no joke. All from a hydrolic roller. If you want something that is gonna work just get a LG cam stick in and have fun. And when someone asks you your cam specs just say, **** if I know but I'll drag your *** down the 1320.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XIII
Lou,

I was thinking the same thing. If they want the specs, they're going to get them regardless of whether or not they are advertised to the general public.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's LG's information and R&D that has been done on this cam. If they don't want to tell you the specs, they don't have to. What are the specs @ .50 going to do for 97% of the people bitching about them? Nothing. I'm pretty sure if you ask them what it should come out to when you degree it in they will tell you, if you have bought the camshaft. Like I said before there's no one magic cam of the week that will suit any application, custom designed for each application is the best way.

Quick Reply: Anyone know the spces on LG Motorsports Juggernaut cam??