Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chooseing the right cam for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default chooseing the right cam for me

i have a 2002 ss camaro 6spd slp headers, mti air box mass air flow, 373 gears, lower control arms, panhard bar, subframe connectors, and i was wondering what a good cam would be to run with stock heads for at least awhile cause i cant decide if i want to upgrade my heads or run something like a supercharger help will be greatly appreciated
Old 12-17-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

does anyone know of any way i could get my car tuned to like know of a place in the minnesota area
Old 12-17-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

well, its good to know exactly what u will be doing to the motor before u start going in with the knife. if u know youre going to do heads, wait until u know what head specs u will be going with. this way u will be able to match your cam with your heads. 01-02 heads flow pretty well for stock heads...and there are a whole lot of people running just a cam on stock heads putting down great numbers. it is very possible to hit 400rwhp with a medium size cam and the basic bolt-on mods...with tuning of course...and still use the car as a daily driver. thats pretty much what my situation is right now.

however, if u know you wanna do heads....or supercharger in the future....take my advice and wait!! it will save u a lot of time and work to do your cam and heads at the same time....its a lot less of a pain (ex. lifters falling ) and as far as a s/c, u will see most guys that are running them pick a cam with a little more exhaust duration...to balance out all the extra air you are forcing in the intake. u will also need to upgrade your fuel system to s/c your motor (fuel pump, injectors, etc.)

any way u go, u will need to tuning to get the maximum performance out of your chosen setup. so my advice is to wait til u know your long term goals. but that all said, any cam with a duration of 224 or under is a nice daily driver cam, easy to tune for idling quality, and will make great power on stock heads. and u can get into a cam package with stronger valve springs/titanium retainers/hardened pushrods(all of which u will need when upgrading your cam),with the cam of course, for right around 600 bucks.

good luck man
Old 12-17-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Since you allready have gears, I would suggest:
G5x2, FM11 or FM13, TSP 233/239

If you want to go milder
TSP 225, TR224, FM4, Comp XER 224

On the Stealth side MTI Stealth cams are unbeatable.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The35thZ
well, its good to know exactly what u will be doing to the motor before u start going in with the knife. if u know youre going to do heads, wait until u know what head specs u will be going with. this way u will be able to match your cam with your heads. 01-02 heads flow pretty well for stock heads...and there are a whole lot of people running just a cam on stock heads putting down great numbers. it is very possible to hit 400rwhp with a medium size cam and the basic bolt-on mods...with tuning of course...and still use the car as a daily driver. thats pretty much what my situation is right now.

however, if u know you wanna do heads....or supercharger in the future....take my advice and wait!! it will save u a lot of time and work to do your cam and heads at the same time....its a lot less of a pain (ex. lifters falling ) and as far as a s/c, u will see most guys that are running them pick a cam with a little more exhaust duration...to balance out all the extra air you are forcing in the intake. u will also need to upgrade your fuel system to s/c your motor (fuel pump, injectors, etc.)

any way u go, u will need to tuning to get the maximum performance out of your chosen setup. so my advice is to wait til u know your long term goals. but that all said, any cam with a duration of 224 or under is a nice daily driver cam, easy to tune for idling quality, and will make great power on stock heads. and u can get into a cam package with stronger valve springs/titanium retainers/hardened pushrods(all of which u will need when upgrading your cam),with the cam of course, for right around 600 bucks.

good luck man
hey thanks for the help where would you recommend i get the cam package from
Old 12-17-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't go wrong with MTI

For tuning in Minnesota go to TPIS in Chaska they are a sponsor ------------------>
Old 12-17-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Cam choice? See my sig.

The 220/220 cam is perfect for 3:73 gears. I'm sticking those gears in my car in the spring.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
hey thanks for the help where would you recommend i get the cam package from
texas speed has some killer cam package specials going on right now. go check out what they can offer u. so u thought any more about what u wanna do in the long run?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:25 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend buying a cam package from Texas Speed. They're offering mail order tunes for their cams (send them your PCM- they tune it and send it back to ya) for a couple hundred bucks. That solves your tuning concerns.

TSP 225 is a great smaller cam while the new 233/239 looks kick ***.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
i have a 2002 ss camaro 6spd slp headers, mti air box mass air flow, 373 gears, lower control arms, panhard bar, subframe connectors, and i was wondering what a good cam would be to run with stock heads for at least awhile cause i cant decide if i want to upgrade my heads or run something like a supercharger help will be greatly appreciated
my advice: call up one of the sponsors and tell them what you are looking for. people like FMS, TSP, TR, etc...they really know their stuff and they will get you squared away
Old 12-17-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I'd recommend buying a cam package from Texas Speed. They're offering mail order tunes for their cams (send them your PCM- they tune it and send it back to ya) for a couple hundred bucks. That solves your tuning concerns.

TSP 225 is a great smaller cam while the new 233/239 looks kick ***.
i wouldnt recommend a mail order tune...but thats just for the best interest of you and your car. not to say texas speed doesnt do a good job, cuz i know they do, but its worth it to wait and pay a little more for someone to do it while the car is on the dyno. that way they can check EVERYTHING!!! any issues u may have can be fixed on the spot. plus its kinda hard to really dial in your a/f ratio without the car there. anyway, another good thing is...after you pay the intial fee, most companies that tune your car will do it anytime after that for a very small fee, if not for free. youll probably just pay dyno time.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:26 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

majic stick, torquer, equilizer all luv stock heads