Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 vs. Cobra motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 vs. Cobra motor?

Unfortunetly I hangout and am friends with a majority of Ford guys. We have gotten into the debate on which motor is better... LS1 or the new Cobra motor... I jus get frustarated because I do not have the strongest points. I do know things about the LS1 but i have a LT5. I am a GM man for sure and would like to find out some things about the LS1....

Is it a better bang for the buck?
Can it hold more horsepower on stock bottom end?
You throw a procharger on an LS1, or on a Cobra, which is better?

I know this is also a useless debate, but they really get agrivated when I say things. I do love fords as well, but you know when it comes down to 1v1 we gotta choose GM. I just want a better argument, any other reasons you have would be great.
TIA
Old 03-05-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man this debate has been beat in the ground. The fact is the 03-04 Cobra engines are sweet. Capable of handling ALOT of boost. Stock for stock I say the 4.6 is better with the blower. An ls1 can be beefed up with forged internals and made to take boost also, and due to its cubic inch advantage and heads that have the ability to flow as well if not better than the DOHC heads (portedvsported), so ultimately the ls1 will still have a power and torque advantage. But Ford has made it very simple and supplied the engine with all the necessary parts to make the engine able to with stand excess's of 650+rwhp with a proper tune and I'm sure there are some making more than that, I just am not educated enough to say. I'm an xford guy myself and I simply think the Cobra deserves its due credit. However, I prefer the versatility of the ls1. Our engines are capable of climbing to over 400ci's if you desire and will make some serious N/A hp. Cant do that with a modular engine. Or you could put forged internals in your ls1 and put a blower on it, OR you could grow to 400ci and put a blower on it also. Just simply more options with the ls1. But either way your gonna need one or the other or possibly both to keep up with those easily modified 03-04's. I think they are both great engines, just offer their advantages in different ways. With ultimate power potential going to the ls1.

Last edited by GMCVT; 03-07-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Teching In

The 03-04 Cobra has FI the LS1 is NA. It is really like comparing apples and oranges. If you put an FI setup on an LS1 they will make alot of power also. I know a guy over on the Corvette Forum with bolt on's and a Pro Charger on his A4 C5 that is putting down 490 RWHP. With the right H/C and a S/C an LS1 can put down quite a bit more power than that.

That being said Ford did the right thing by putting forged internals into the Cobra engine. I only wish GM had done the same with the LS1.

Last edited by C5 Purple Haze; 03-05-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well define "better". are we talking stock for stock, modded vs modded, ulimate potential, ect.

4.6 DOHC vs 5.7 OHV, there not really comparable in hindsight.

Last edited by jrp; 03-06-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Both are very different.

A cobra is very cheap to mod fast! You can go 10s for relatively cheap.

But if your trying to go REAL fast and when big money comes in to account I beleive the LSX series motors are definetly superior.A turbo lsx cant be touched!

Or a forged with a big shot motor cant be touched.

Or a forged with a procharger cant be touched.

See what Im saying.

No replacement for displacement!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cobra comes in a modified 1970s Fairmont chassis, the LSx comes in C5 and C6 Corvettes.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Launching!

well, i agree that that ford did the right thing by using forged parts in there engine. ford also knew that they cant build a good engine. thats why they did not build the cobra engines in 03-04. they were built by another builder, and with good parts. there is nothing 'ford' inside that engine....scat crank, manley rods i think....
look at the '05 mustang 4.6 3-valve engines...ford built them, and they are making 40 hp less than the are rated at....LOL. supposedly a head problem.... ahh whateva. they are a great engine though. but its still a ford.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

I have a z06 and an 03 cobra. The cobra is a great car for a mustang...but for high performance driving/ racing the vette is in a league way above the cobra. My son has an 02 z28 with 400 rwhp and eibach springs and it is a better handling car even without the independant rear that my mustang has. We road race all three cars so I am giving you first hand knowledge. Also my mustang has a kenne bell blower and puts down 503 rwhp but it is a pig weighing in at 3600 lbs. I also blew the head gaskets out at 8000 miles cause the boost is a problem when run continuosly at track events. I am building a 403 ls2 for my vette which will make any straight line race by the cobra futile. If as other have said if you boost the ls1 it is not even close. A cobra mil gains about 14 hp per lb of boost and and ls1 will gain 24 or more per lb of boost. I do all my own work and the ford is a pig to work on as compared to the wonderfully engineered ls1. Chevys don't need boost cause they make the horsepower with flow. I know everyone is going to get on the "ls1 have more displacement." Put a turbo on a 4.8 truck engine with 2 valves and you can get 500 hp easy with less boost than with a 4.6. I have a friend that runs fords with blowers and they always are broke. The beat goes on...
Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Great responses, I figured each motor had its own ups and downs I just wanted to learn what in detail they were. I appreciate all the help and will use this in my next discussion with my ford buds...
Old 03-05-2005, 10:56 PM
9 Second Club

LSx > Cobra
Old 03-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Restricted User

The cobra has not been out for very long and when they start getting heavily modified the motors start going. I personally have seen about 2 cobras with kennebells go already. I just think it is too hard on the motor even though they do come with forged internals.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 90ZR1
Unfortunetly I hangout and am friends with a majority of Ford guys. We have gotten into the debate on which motor is better... LS1 or the new Cobra motor... I jus get frustarated because I do not have the strongest points. I do know things about the LS1 but i have a LT5. I am a GM man for sure and would like to find out some things about the LS1....

Is it a better bang for the buck?
Can it hold more horsepower on stock bottom end?
You throw a procharger on an LS1, or on a Cobra, which is better?

I know this is also a useless debate, but they really get agrivated when I say things. I do love fords as well, but you know when it comes down to 1v1 we gotta choose GM. I just want a better argument, any other reasons you have would be great.
TIA
Shure ford makes cool stuff like a stock supercharger for 03 04 cobras but chevy has allready made their version of dohc v8.The corvette zr1 has it and if I am correct it makes 450hp+ with no charger let me see ford try that.My point is GM will allways be one step ahead of ford in engine design and biulding.Let see me a new ford do 400hp with a cam only useing new ford pony and by the way thanks ford for byeting are ls1 intake and now they whant to do their motors all aluminuem like ls1's since 1997.That's a big *** step behind GM ,born a GM man will die a GM man
Old 03-06-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DravenMyers
Shure ford makes cool stuff like a stock supercharger for 03 04 cobras but chevy has allready made their version of dohc v8.The corvette zr1 has it and if I am correct it makes 450hp+ with no charger let me see ford try that.My point is GM will allways be one step ahead of ford in engine design and biulding.Let see me a new ford do 400hp with a cam only useing new ford pony and by the way thanks ford for byeting are ls1 intake and now they whant to do their motors all aluminuem like ls1's since 1997.That's a big *** step behind GM ,born a GM man will die a GM man
****** a....'nuff said....keep on blowing...u ford *******....your 4.6 aint **** in reality. like whats his nuts said, show me a n/a stang that will make 400 at the wheels with a baby cam
Old 03-06-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am not a FORD fan, and I never owned one but hate and jokes apart let me point out:
1-351 Cleveland had in it's glory days more hp potential than SBC 350
2- A cammer 427 was more advanced than the Chev (except for the ZL1 427, but never really a production)
3- Cubes for cubes, I've seen special editions 351 Boss (96 or 97 can't remember) and back then had tremendeous potential.
4- The pre 95 5.0 ruled to the point FORD detuned for insurance lawsuits reasons.

So I wouldn't knock Ford motors as they have proved time and time again, they are contenders for sure.

Now Chevy is playing catch up with the Z06 and the target is the GT40 and Viper.
definately we will all agree that stopping F-Body productions was a retro step of at least 10 years and a major snafu on the GM Mgmt. part.

Ford are rivals and my sworn ennemies, I enjoy killing them and bitterly accept defeat when, on occasions, it is handed to me.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

The LS1 is physically small, and very light, and very simple. You can put this engine in just about any chassis. I've seen them in Porsche 911's They are very, very durable, and getting cheaper to mod by the day. A wonderfully designed engine all the way around.

The mod motors is friggen' HUGE by comparison and also very heavy. No doubt they can make big hp for not much money since they come with forged internals and a blower. But IMO Ford absolutely HAD to send them out this way since they couldn't run the #'s any other way. Unfortunately this made them expensive to buy, complex to work on, and they require much more hp than an LS1 car to run the same #'s since they are so heavy.

I do still respect them for what they are and appreciate the fact that Ford stepped up to the plate instead of continuing on with the anemic GT as their performance flagship. I just greatly prefer the LS1's overall package.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Yes your right DravenMyers, the ZR1 DOHC makes 375hp and 92-95 405hp. Straight out of production. I too have grown up a GM guy and always will be as well! Thanks again for all the responses! Many good points were brought up.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
4- The pre 95 5.0 ruled to the point FORD detuned for insurance lawsuits reasons.

LOL!!! HUH?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't laugh, till this day, modded 5.0's are fearsome. I was refering to the pre 95 pony 5.0 VS post 5.0's until the appearance of the 4.6.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

So they detuned a 245hp motor to what? 220 for insurance reasons?
Old 03-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Launching!

In my opinion a man that likes GM and ford is like transvestite he is man for driveing a GM but wants to girl by likeing fords.For the the many people that went from a ford to GM they have seen the light but your light is not on if cant see GM rules ford.I dont even want to get starded on what the new Z06 will to the ford gt if they put a supercharger on it.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs. Cobra motor?