Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is what the knocking was...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
bud, Im super busy right now and not trying to brush you off in anyway but Im known as the hardest guy ever to get ahold of on the sell fone. You can email me at LTOne4Fun@aol.com or try the cell 443-857-7869, but the email is a surefire way to get ahold of me, late night I always sift thru the emails
Understandable. I'll try emailing you.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slow01z28
That is true, but Jeff is a very helpful person. He has alot going on like the rest of us.
Werd homey, 4 cars from shells to running cars in 3 weeks, in between the reglar daily grind. My head hurts. 4 more cars to go, well 3 cars 1 truck before next weekend. Good times
Old 04-05-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Werd homey, 4 cars from shells to running cars in 3 weeks, in between the reglar daily grind. My head hurts. 4 more cars to go, well 3 cars 1 truck before next weekend. Good times
You forgot to factor in my car... I can bring the motor by whenever
Old 04-05-2005, 02:06 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been eyeballing the APE 347 "cheap-street" motor they have for 2800$, mahle forged pistons, eagle h-beam's (i think), and a polished stock crank. plus if they dont meet their promised ship date, its freeeeee!

lingenfelter also has a 347 shortblock w/ stock crank and rods, but forged pistions for around 2200$

i'm also against the idea of bigger cubic inches at this point for you. remember there ARE 10 second cam only cars running around on here just think of how fast a fat cam, forged pistons, ARP rodbolts, and a 150 shot will get you rolling out.

as for heads, you might look at patriot, they have some pretty cheap and respectable stuff going on over there. and dont forget to put some new lifters in there before you put it back together (comp 850's work great w/ non-adjustable rockers). take out a loan for a grand or two if you absolutly have to, gotta get things on the road again stock heads can be found in the for sale section pretty cheap as well.

what year is your car? looking at your black mirrors in your pictures, it looks to be a 98 the 98 motors can't handle much of a bore job at all.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

You would choose a 347 over a 383 if you could get the 383 for the same price? Please explain (keeping in mind that I am not looking for the MOST POWERFUL 383 in the world, just looking for a better place to start for future mods).
Old 04-05-2005, 02:08 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would rather buy a forged 347 built by APE than have someone rebuild my stock motor to a 383. i can forsee APE's stuff holding up better in the long run. if you have dreams for more inches, throw a forged stroker crank in the 347 later on and you're partying.

btw, what year is your car?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
i would rather buy a forged 347 built by APE than have someone rebuild my stock motor to a 383. i can forsee APE's stuff holding up better in the long run. if you have dreams for more inches, throw a forged stroker crank in the 347 later on and you're partying.

btw, what year is your car?
I realize everyone's concern about that but I know a guy who has been putting these engines together for decades and does this in his sleep. As for the year of my car, it's a 99.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Who is this guy? putting them together and doing it well is two different things, were just tryign to make sure you find the difference between the two. These motors arent even a decade old

I wish I was a little closer or you to me I could give you a hand, but like Rob said, I dont get away enough to eat three meals a day sometime. Any questions you might have hit me up. When you get the new motor in, if your in the area or want to head up, I can do the crank relearn for you for free dollars (always the best price ) once the springs have been heat cycled a couple times,
Old 04-22-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who is this guy? putting them together and doing it well is two different things, were just tryign to make sure you find the difference between the two. These motors arent even a decade old

I wish I was a little closer or you to me I could give you a hand, but like Rob said, I dont get away enough to eat three meals a day sometime. Any questions you might have hit me up. When you get the new motor in, if your in the area or want to head up, I can do the crank relearn for you for free dollars (always the best price ) once the springs have been heat cycled a couple times,
Things have taken quite the different route since I last posted on here. I bought a 6.0L 370 forged iron block with 1300 miles on it that was race prepped by Alan Futral and used by Ron at GMMG in a project car for only 1300 miles before the guy ran out of money. I will be putting it in tomorrow with the help of Jason from FBC, he's lending a greatly appreciated hand in this process. However, I bought brand new LQ9 heads and a PRC spring kit, but I am waiting on the Cometic head gaskets to come in sometime early next week so the heads won't be on till next weekend. So, if all goes well, the shortblock will be in by tomorrow night, and everything will be all together and running (I hope) by the end of next weekend. I will be in touch to let you know how it goes, and possibly to take you up on the free dollars idea. Thanks for all your help Granny.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a set of Cometics siting right next to me... right thickness, but not for 6.0 bore unfortunately. Sounds liek a good deal
Old 04-23-2005, 05:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's me, but isn't it easier to put the heads on whilethe motor is off? In other words what are you gaining by putting the motor in now? Glad to hear you're going to finally be rolling again.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Viper
Maybe it's me, but isn't it easier to put the heads on whilethe motor is off? In other words what are you gaining by putting the motor in now? Glad to hear you're going to finally be rolling again.
Well, may main concern is just getting the engine in and bolted up (b/c that's the part I have the least knowledge about), and the person that is helping me out with it is busy all the time but he is availabe this weekend so I'm trying to take advantage of that. I can deal with putting the heads on while the engine is in the car, although it is much easier while the engine is out. I'd rather spend a little more time doing that than miss the opportunity of help from someone whose done a bunch of these swaps.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, Jason never showed up, nor answered his phone or returned my message today. Today was absolutely useless, I got nothing done. Anyone want to SERIOUSLY help me next weekend that has done this before? I need someone I can count on to help me out. Bottom line, if it's not done by next weekend, then I'm screwed because it needs to be tuned and ready to drive cross country by Mid May and I have little to no time between now and then to work on it. I had this weekend free, but that has clearly gone to ****.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck. Hope everything works out.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

I was going to suggest you get a short block from slp and some heads form ebay but you got the stuff however you should get yourself a good book there is one out there now that just came out it's great tells you all kinds of impotant things like:

make sure you get all if any fluid out of the bolt holes in the block for the head bolts or it may crack your block well if it was an ALU block. I don't think you have to wory about that in an Iron block but you never know.

And it's got all the Toque specs and stuff.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
That suck man. 3 months ago when my 4.8 was killed I put in a LS1 and 3 days later I started to get a knocking. 3 days later. Come to find out some tiny piece of metal(from the machine shop Im amost likely) got stuck on 2 of my new pistons and causing some dimples with sharp enough edges to hit the heads and scar them up a bit. 3 F'n days! Yuk! Luckily the pistons were fixable and the heads as well but it still sucked. Hell I hadnt even sprayed the LS1 yet when it happened!

yea, Im in the process of putting together a new motor also. The machine shop did warrenty work on my car by installing a new motor because the previous owner through barings, and I wasnt going to buy the car untill it was fixed, and that was a new motor. Something got into my engine also, cracked the bore, bent the pin connecting the piston and rod, beat the hell outta the head, but BOTH VALVES together.Sorry to hear bout your ****, I will def. make sure I get my new cam degreed in right, should have new motor in and goin ghopefully w/in a month.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm kinda freaks me out about my car, you talking about the slack and all, so for me to go about checking this you want to turn the motor a few times in each direction and make sure the dots like up every time right?

i noticed and was going to recheck but one side of the chain is tight and the other is loose, should it be like that or no?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

with even slack on both sides the dots should line up.... mine had slack on one side and was tight on the other and hence was off once it evened out.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i guess ill just turn the engine the other way and get it loose, im pretty sure if its tight on both sides it lines up the same way, i should be strait then

Quick Reply: This is what the knocking was...