Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staying Smog Legal in CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staying Smog Legal in CA

I'm thinking of getting a cam for my 2000 Formula, and I'm looking at the TR224 and the G5X-2. I'm trying to stay smog legal if possible, but I've heard that longtubes will fail smog in CA. Is it because of the sniffer test, or visual inspection?

What kind of gains would I see with a TR224, with and without LTs, tuned and untuned? What about with the G5X-2? I understand that the G5X-2 won't pass emissions, but I never said I'd stay smog legal for sure either.

Also, if I get LTs, will I still be able to lower the car 1.5"? Is such a drop even possible with the boxed SFCs I've got on the car right now? If I don't lose too much power by not getting LTs, I'd rather lower the car and tighten the car's handling up.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Right now, all I've got is a lid, SFCs, and a Hooker catback.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome aboard.

Others have passed sniffer with TR224 and LT. LT will not pass visual inspection part of test. You will need to tune PCM either way.

You may get more enjoyment from better shocks, front sway bar, tires, alignment than from LT. My 0.02

My order of modification was handling and safety before HP. The f-body already has good power relative to other cars. Its the POS shocks and alignment that are lacking.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectator
I'm thinking of getting a cam for my 2000 Formula, and I'm looking at the TR224 and the G5X-2. I'm trying to stay smog legal if possible, but I've heard that longtubes will fail smog in CA. Is it because of the sniffer test, or visual inspection?

What kind of gains would I see with a TR224, with and without LTs, tuned and untuned? What about with the G5X-2? I understand that the G5X-2 won't pass emissions, but I never said I'd stay smog legal for sure either.

Also, if I get LTs, will I still be able to lower the car 1.5"? Is such a drop even possible with the boxed SFCs I've got on the car right now? If I don't lose too much power by not getting LTs, I'd rather lower the car and tighten the car's handling up.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Right now, all I've got is a lid, SFCs, and a Hooker catback.
I know you will pass smog with the TR224 114 LSA. I passed with this cam last week. You will need a tune though to ensure that you will pass. I dont know the G5X2 specs, but I dont think it will pass.

LT's will cause you to fail because when installed, they move the location of the stock cats, which on OBDII cars, is very illegal. Shorty headers are the only legal headers in CA. LT's will not effect the emmisions at all.

TR224, no headers, no tune = 340rwhp (should pass smog)
TR224, no headers, tuned = 350rwhp (will pass smog)
TR224, lt headers, no tune = 360rwhp (fail smog)
TR224, lt headers, tuned = 370rwhp (fail smog)
These numbers are just approximations

I am lowered 1" and have LT's and can safely go over speed bumps. I need top take them REALLY slow though to make sure I don't load the suspension when I come down.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

I have 224/224/114 with 5.3 heads and FLP LT's. Find the right place to smog and you'll be OK on visual. That may involve a little trial and error. MAKE SURE that they will allow a pre-test of the car, where you can get their results and a failure WILL NOT be transmitted to DMV. I barely passed the sniffer 14 months ago... but it's like winning a mini-lottery when you do pass! I love this setup for N/A, by the way.

Good luck,

Rich
Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

friend has pacesetter lts with after market high-flow cats, he passed smog with flying colors, and he passed visual inspection. maybe he just go lucky with the guy. (he did not pay the guy off, and this place was not shady)
his car:
98z28 a4, with bolt ons , pace setters, at the time had 1 misfire and was throwing 7 codes for oxygen sensors.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've got access to a few "very sympathetic" smoggers, as opposed to just the lazy ones, but there's always a risk plus more money involved by going that route. I may just try for a shop that hasn't seen American cars, so that they won't have a clue what the hell LTs are, and stick with a TR224 to pass the sniffer side.

Does anyone have a 1.5" drop and LTs? Is there a certain shock/1.5" spring combo that makes it easier to get over speed bumps? Stiffer shocks maybe?

Also, will porting your heads make a sniffer test harder to pass? My buddy's trying his hardest to convince to do the heads while I'm putting in the cam. If I port the heads and don't get LTs, will I get any significant power gains? Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

i heard that ported heads have no affect on passing smog.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spectator
If I port the heads and don't get LTs, will I get any significant power gains? Thanks again.
Heads/cam on stock manifolds suck. The manifolds will choke away the majority of available power.