Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Super 7 Locks Worth Getting

Old 04-07-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Are Super 7 Locks Worth Getting

PRC vs PP spring kits. Please forget about any loyalty or bias towards either company. Look at the product only. The spring kits are comparably priced and the specs, performance and reliability of the springs looks to be splitting hairs saying which is better. Both kits come with seals. That leaves the super 7 locks and retainers as the main difference. Why or why not get the kit that has them.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always like to say, "better safe, than sorry" I like to think of it as peace of mind, personally. It cant hurt anything to go with the supposed "better" locks.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear the stock locks are fine.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

i bought the PRC kit, but ended up having to put the PP retainers and super seven locks on the new heads i just got.. i dont know if there is realy that much of a difference in strength, but they do LOOK alot beefier..i feel better about the S7 locks..
Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

For hydraulic roller cams either will work fine. Take one look at the difference in the stock locks and a super seven and you will understand their advantages. In a hydraulic cam setup they are unecessary in my opinion but good insurance non the less.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

The super 7s are huge compared to the stockers... I doubt it matters much, but it certainly isn't hurting anything and I chalk it up to a "better safe than sorry" type of scenario.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered a set of PRC's from Terry, I also use the Manley Bead Loc machined locks. A while back I read that there was some question about whether PP used Russian titanium for their retainers, although I don't know that to be a fact.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bigdsz
A while back I read that there was some question about whether PP used Russian titanium for their retainers, although I don't know that to be a fact.
Would it really matter where the titanium comes from as long as its indeed titanium? I wouldn't care if it came from Russia unless it came from Chernobyl... even then a little radiation is ok to save a few bucks.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

PRC designed their kit to work with stock locks because they have had better luck with stockers. I'm not sure what was behind a few super 7 failures (was it really the locks fault or were the springs installed wrong) but I had heard of some failures. Do a search.

I just ordered the prc's myself. To my understanding the contents of the kit is made over here. Patriot has a shady past so it was an easy desision.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is a difference in where titanium comes from due to processing quality control and the grade of titanium that results from that. You want cheap crap, thats fine. Otherwise yes there's a big difference.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
There is a difference in where titanium comes from due to processing quality control and the grade of titanium that results from that. You want cheap crap, thats fine. Otherwise yes there's a big difference.

i think it's funny when people say things like titanium is titanium no matter where it is from. or stainless steel is stainless steel no matter what grade it is.

someone should tell my boss that all forms or carbon steel and stainless steel are the same. we could save a TON of money by just buying the cheaper grades all the time.

...of course, we might have a huge gas explosion, a dozen dead shop workers, and a big lawsuit on our hands, but we saved some money in the process so it is ok. no all metals are created equal.

that being said, i have no idea of the quality of PP titanium. it may be just fine, it may not be...
Old 04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, so there have been a few super 7 lock failures. Has there ever been a stock lock failure or a PP T. retainer itself failure. Again, I don't care about any other quality problems either company has had with their other products. Just the spring kits. I guess it would help me decide if I could see some super 7 locks and compare them to stock, but I havent. My gut tells me to get the Super 7s for the same price as the other kit.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:23 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
OK, so there have been a few super 7 lock failures. Has there ever been a stock lock failure or a PP T. retainer itself failure. Again, I don't care about any other quality problems either company has had with their other products. Just the spring kits. I guess it would help me decide if I could see some super 7 locks and compare them to stock, but I havent. My gut tells me to get the Super 7s for the same price as the other kit.
read the threads from Chris and you'll see why he designed the locks and the data he gathered

Last edited by jrp; 04-07-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Launching!

I am interested in this....but, who is Chris?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/128520-those-you-have-had-spring-failure.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/129712-potential-problem-under-your-valve-cover.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/110858-winston-cup-technology-coming-ls1.html
Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the PRC kit. The majority of people here run a spring that uses stock locks and I have yet to see a failure.
I did replace all of the locks though.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I remember reading what Chris said about the stock keepers moving in the valve grooves and the Super 7s eliminating that. I guess what I scratch my head about is that Terry with PRC was with PP when they started using the Super 7s. Then he starts his own co, PRC and comes out with his own spring kit which seems so similar except without the Super 7s. I can't see Super 7s being propiatory to PP because I see other companies such as Isky branding them. Why doesn't he use them with his new kit if they were worth using when he was at PP. And I'm not trying to get the two companies in a pissing match with each other. Just trying to understand why a component that was deemed so great would suddenly be deemed not necessary by certain people.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I remember reading what Chris said about the stock keepers moving in the valve grooves and the Super 7s eliminating that. I guess what I scratch my head about is that Terry with PRC was with PP when they started using the Super 7s. Then he starts his own co, PRC and comes out with his own spring kit which seems so similar except without the Super 7s. I can't see Super 7s being propiatory to PP because I see other companies such as Isky branding them. Why doesn't he use them with his new kit if they were worth using when he was at PP. And I'm not trying to get the two companies in a pissing match with each other. Just trying to understand why a component that was deemed so great would suddenly be deemed not necessary by certain people.
I'd really like to know this as well, as I hope to be purchasing a cam and springs here in the next month or two and am concerned with the PRC's lack of aftermarket locks. I'd be entirely pissed if one of my springs failed b/c a stock part that I could replace went bad. Is there any way to get these locks on their own?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn good point.
I am now wondering this as well.
Maybe Terry will chime in and let us know what's up.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Patriot will use the new locks 100% of the time.Good bye to the stock locks."

This quote was from Terry on 1/16/2004 when he was with PP.

Search this Thread