Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has had a probelem after a rod bolt install into a stock shortblock?

Old 04-13-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has had a probelem after a rod bolt install into a stock shortblock?

I have read a ton of threads on this, and most people do not have a probelem replacing the rod bolts. I have heard of some running into issues with cap distortion, but only heard. I've never heard anyone say, "I spun a bearing 2 days later."

So all those people who have had probelems with using

-ARP pro series cracked rod bolts
-ARP regular cracked rod bolts
-Katech cracked rod bolts

..please post up and tell us what happened! Otherwise it will be safe to assume no one has had an issue afterwards.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

I've installed 2 sets of arp rod bolts. That was over 6 months ago, no problems yet *knock on wood*
Old 04-15-2005, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

ttt

No bad responses yet. Looking good so far!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have installed them twice before. once in a car that blew up. the rod snapped in half the only think left was the arp bolts! they were still holding the two haves together. and a new ls6. he had 0 issue's with it. the concern is that the rod bolts fit in the rod with the collar a bit tight. but there isn't enough pressure to cause any rod cap distortion. i used a rod stretch gauge to combat any torque issue i may of had because of the snug fit.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Teching In

I believe the ARP bolts have a piloting feature so you don't have to worry about cap shift. I work for Federal Mogul and have done numerous engine dyno tests and taken bearing traces in the rod after bearing assembly. We would see cap shift all the time with the old bolts. But GM now has a piloting feature on OE bolts and ARP should have the same. You should be fine.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No problems here. Katech bolts.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Banned

Fade2blk put them in my car... no problems yet.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 87GN&98VET
I believe the ARP bolts have a piloting feature so you don't have to worry about cap shift.
The issue that is always talked about when people talk about rod bolt replacement (in a stock shortblock) is the extra clamp load with the better bolts causing an out-of-round rod. Since there is not much clearance between the crank journal and rod bearing, any little distortion could cause an issue with clearance and be disastrous.

The idea here is for people to be able to replace rod bolts in their stock motors, and most do it while the engine is still in the car. So checking the rod and/or resizing it is NOT a feasible option in that situation.

Good to hear that there were no issues with engines after bolt installs. Keep the results coming!

Search this Thread