Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda odd recommendations from Futral?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Kinda odd recommendations from Futral?

I am trying to compare advantages and disadvantages of a F11 on a 112+4*, a F13 on a 112+4 *or F13 on a 114+? . I am looking for a "street" cam and TQ under the curve(from like 2500-4500/5K) for a true daily driver commuting 50 miles a day with cruise rpm @ 1600 rpm@ 65 mph. Yet has the possibilities to give an advantage over the 224 and similar cam cars around.

So I called and from my understanding going with a F13 on a 114+2* would be best for my application. Does this strike anyone strange to order a F13 on a 114+2* advance to lower the powerband, increase the RPM range and PV clearance? I was comparing this to a F13 on a 112+4.

If anyone could discus the advantages and disavantage of the 3 that would be GREAT. The recent recomendation kind twisted me.

A quick break down of the car a 2001SS with;
Patriot Gold spring kit
Exedy twin disk clutch
TTS LT's
ASP
160 Stat
TSP lid
255 pump and SVO #30 Injectors
10 bolt with 3.73
Comp OEM lifters
and a 100 shot wet kit (NX)

Thanks all!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

I would think that a 114 plus 4 degrees would pick up the low end power. But Alan knows his stuff.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

I have a fm13 112 cam on its way. I have sort of the same set up.. 4.10's though and I want a stealthy cam that is GREAT for DD but give great horsepower numbers.

FM states 13 112 (off the shelf is a +4)

so 13 112 I am getting. I dont know the EXACT specifications but I trust Futral.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking about a F11 on a 114 lsa for my Vette. I want the best drivability, and I think a F13 would be more than I want. I wonder how much, if any advance would be good for a F11 on a 114 lsa. What's streetable to one, may not be to another. Based on my experience, a F11 would be the most cam I would want.

Bruce
Old 06-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Banned

Hmmm.. Bruce, from what Futral claims.. and not my opinion since I havent had one of theirs yet.. is that the f13 is a VERY tamed STREETABLE by far cam plus big numbers.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wyckedcamaro
Hmmm.. Bruce, from what Futral claims.. and not my opinion since I havent had one of theirs yet.. is that the f13 is a VERY tamed STREETABLE by far cam plus big numbers.
It is. A couple friends have, or had a FM13 in their cars. For me, a F11 is the biggest I would want to go.

Bruce
Old 06-20-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Bruce FM13 idles like a baby. Would you be willing to try something in that size/overlap?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HALLZ
I am trying to compare advantages and disadvantages of a F11 on a 112+4*, a F13 on a 112+4 *or F13 on a 114+? . I am looking for a "street" cam and TQ under the curve(from like 2500-4500/5K) for a true daily driver commuting 50 miles a day with cruise rpm @ 1600 rpm@ 65 mph. Yet has the possibilities to give an advantage over the 224 and similar cam cars around.

So I called and from my understanding going with a F13 on a 114+2* would be best for my application. Does this strike anyone strange to order a F13 on a 114+2* advance to lower the powerband, increase the RPM range and PV clearance? I was comparing this to a F13 on a 112+4.

Did you leave a message for Allan to call you about this? I overheard some of the conversation and this sounds familiar. Im thinking there was a misunderstanding of what exactly you were wanting because I thought the recommendation sounded a little off.

When comparing the F13's by putting the F13 on a 114 you will get better driveability, increase your RPM range and give yourself more PTV clearance but you will sacrifice some low end torque by not going with the 12+4. When you compare the F11 112+4 to a F13 112+4, the F13 will offer you more mid range, more peak hp (average of about 10rwhp), choppier idle. Where as the F11 112+4 will have a little more low end power. The F13 is an all around great cam, with great driveability and good power for its size without sacrifice'n power under the curve. From what you described I would suggest the F13 12+4 as long as you feel that you can put up with the choppier idle and maybe a few driveability quirks at low rpms.

If you want to discuss in more detail your particular setup please feel free to give me a call tomorrow at 877-784-3278. Just ask for me and we can go over your entire setup and make sure we get you exactly what you want.

Thanks and hope this helped!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the smaller one on a lower LSA, rather than the larger one on a higher LSA it will get you want you want.

Good to see Candy come on here and answer too!

Bret
Old 06-20-2005, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Candy it helps a lot...thats more along the lines of the the norm, just wondering if I was missing something somewere.

PM sent
Old 06-20-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Told ya so
Old 06-20-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys mind if I sit in your boat?

I purchased an f14-112 +4 with the PRC gold kit from Futral a few months ago. My builder is working on a set of 5.3 heads in which he has replaced the valve seats, cleaned up the chamber design, and massaged the ports. He was surprised at how little work the ports needed to produce good numbers under the curve.

OK, here's my dilema. F14, 5.3 heads, 2.02" valves. Alan says it will work so I purchased accordingly. I've talked to Kip and Candy and I still feel uneasy, not because of them, but because I just don't have my arms around this whole thing like I feel I should.

My desire is to end up with 11:1CR. TO do this I'll need 61cc chambers on .042" gaskets. That's theoretically a .035" quinch...but what about those damn valves and the pistons???

My plan is to assemble with the old gaskets (0.055") and measure PtoV to determine if I can go ahead and use the 0.042" gaskets or to purcahse OEMs and settle for 10.7:1 CR. Sounds like a great plan eh?

1st problem, I need to know how much to mill the heads prior to my builder shipping them back to me!

2nd problem, I'm finding out that Fel-Pro and Cometic 0.042" gaskets often have lead times of possibly 6wks!!!

3rd poblem, (I'm sure Alan can answer this one easily) Both gasket companies want to sell me 4.06" or larger bore gaskets. After all of this work, I want every possible effeciancy working in my favor. The last thing I want is an ill affected flame front from a gap between the head and block!

I'm reassured when I see that any mention of Futral is always positive. I just need to fit the final peices of the puzzle together. To do this I need a little more information regarding my actual chamber volume and deck height and then a few minutes of Alan's time. Has anybody talked to Alan directly? I get this image of this guys madly wrenching away in this shop while Kip and Candy cautiously poke their heads in the door to ask a question.

Once again, my uneasiness has nothing to do with Futral. I firmly beleive I picked the right shop and can't wait to get this project finished up.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:04 AM
FormerVendor

ssheets..

Its tough to predict ptv clearance on alot of setups because alot of it has to do with the way the valve job is done. The F14 should fit with no problems and Allan can go over this with you. He is very busy but if you leave him a voice mail or send him an email he will get to you. Depending on his deadlines sometimes you will hear from him the same day and sometimes it may be a couple of days. I really suggest laying it all out in an email, let him read over it and do some # crunching and get back to you.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Candy
ssheets..

Its tough to predict ptv clearance on alot of setups because alot of it has to do with the way the valve job is done. The F14 should fit with no problems and Allan can go over this with you. He is very busy but if you leave him a voice mail or send him an email he will get to you. Depending on his deadlines sometimes you will hear from him the same day and sometimes it may be a couple of days. I really suggest laying it all out in an email, let him read over it and do some # crunching and get back to you.

Thanks
Thanks Candy, as soon as I get the volume of the chambers before any milling I'll layout in an email to you guys.

I know I'm pushing the envelope a little with the 5.3s, big valves and the F14, but it should be one awesome testemant to FMS when it's done. Not that you nead any more. One of the reasons I went with Futral is because it's one of the only shops that nobody has anything negatove to say about. I've talked to you and Kip a couple of times and have always been very satisified with my treatment and the answers given to me. You guys are great
Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ssheets

3rd poblem, (I'm sure Alan can answer this one easily) Both gasket companies want to sell me 4.06" or larger bore gaskets. After all of this work, I want every possible effeciancy working in my favor. The last thing I want is an ill affected flame front from a gap between the head and block!
Dis the girl taking your order tell you that at cometic? She was trying to sell me 4.125's for my 4" bore LS2 motor....I asked for a tech to straighten it out and got 4.03's.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spinmonster
Dis the girl taking your order tell you that at cometic? She was trying to sell me 4.125's for my 4" bore LS2 motor....I asked for a tech to straighten it out and got 4.03's.
Haven't talked directly to Cometic yet. I talked to Summitracing, they sell Felp-Pros and SCEs and he was trying to sell me 4.06"s.

At this point I figure I'll just add it to the list of questions for Allan. Now that I think about it, I was going to buy a set of gaskets from FMS, but I didn't know which ones to get. I'll just take Allan's advice and then buy from him.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

f14 on a 114 untuned even is to streetable for me lol.. once i get it tuned ill see how it does, but i already know imma go bigger in my auto daily driver... futral cams are twice as streetable as another cam the same size... but im looking for trex or similar
Old 06-21-2005, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Candy
ssheets..

Thanks
Oh yes I know he is busy, but given the head specs, with his experience i'm sure he could come up with a ballpark answer.
I've inqired by e-mail as to the (FM9 fitting PRC 5.3L 62cc (2.04 int/1.585 exh) with GM .054 compressed gasket, .007 piston out of hole) and after a week the answer was " You'll just have to check it out".
To me that didn't sell me the cam for sure. i do not want to flycut so the answer before purchase is imperative. my thought was, "fewwww, that is a lot of help )
Perhaps could you help Candy??
Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Oh yes I know he is busy, but given the head specs, with his experience i'm sure he could come up with a ballpark answer.
I've inqired by e-mail as to the (FM9 fitting PRC 5.3L 62cc (2.04 int/1.585 exh) with GM .054 compressed gasket, .007 piston out of hole) and after a week the answer was " You'll just have to check it out".
To me that didn't sell me the cam for sure. i do not want to flycut so the answer before purchase is imperative. my thought was, "fewwww, that is a lot of help )
Perhaps could you help Candy??

The PRC 5.3 hasnt been tested on all of the cams yet and I know we just got a set about a month ago so anytime he is not sure that something will definitely fit he will not speculate he will let you know that the only way to be sure is the check the ptv clearance. Allan has never been someone of alot of words so just to let you know he is not being short or vague intentionally. Now that we have a PRC 5.3 head I will revisit this question with him and get back to you.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Candy,

You have a sister? Cause I need someone like you to help around my shop!

Bret