Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN: Patman A Few Questions on 0 w40

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATTN: Patman A Few Questions on 0 w40

I have an 02 ss with 4500 miles on it. I just switched over to Mobil 1 0W40 because I see that seems to be the weight of preference. I noticed immediately after changing the oil the piston slap had gottem considerably worse and it takes alot longer for it to go away. When I purchased the car the oil was clean so I dont know if they heard the noise and put a really heavy oil in it to quiet it down, all I know was it had a pennzoil filter on it which doesnt tell me anything. So my two question are

1: should I move up to the 5w40 Delvac, or 10w40?

2: this is only a weekend toy for me if I put 3k miles a year on it, that will be alot. How often should I change it. It will most likely sit all winter might need to be moved once in a while.

Any info you give would be greatly appreciated. I know the piston slap doesnt hurt anything but I would like to make it minimal and still give the engine the best protection.

ThankYou,
Mike
Old 07-30-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

As long as the slap goes away when your engine is warmed up, you'll be fine. That 0W40 will be a little lighter when cold then a regular dino oil. When I switched from dino to that 0W40 or German Syntec if I can find it, I thought I noticed a little more slap, but even if there is more, there's hardly a difference.

Jason
Old 07-30-2005, 09:19 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

I can't see any need to run a "0" w oil. If your not starting the engine in freezing temps, I see no need! In your case I would use a 20w-50. That's what I use, but I only drive my car in warm summer weather. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Did any of you 3 guys notice any difference in your oil pressure when you made the switch to heavier oil? What kind of pressures are you seeing now at cold idle, hot idle, cold cruising, warm cruising and WOT? Do you remember what your pressures were under the same conditions BEFORE switching to the heavier oil?

I'm just curious because I had pretty low oil pressure...fluctuating at 20 psi at hot idle. This was with a dirty filter on an unknown weight of oil (just got the car). I changed the filter and put 10w30 dino oil in it and noticed my pressure was better. The lowest pressure I see now is about 30-35 psi at hot idle. I'd like to try a heavier weight oil like you guys are using to see if my pressure might be a little bit better.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

You might want to look elsewhere to get that psi up. Maybe the oil pickup tube o ring or new oil pump. I'd do both. 20 psi at hot idle is really bad, I don't care what condition the oil is in. 30-35 is better but I would feel more comfortable with 40-45 at hot idle. Nothing lower. This probably isn't what you want to hear but it's not as bad as it sounds.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has always had about 45 lbs at idle no matter what weight Mobil 1 I had it it..I have been happy using the 0-40 in the summer and 5-30 in winter..I have 88K on the car..when I had it torn down doing a swap it looked good on the inside from what I could see and it never has used any oil..my GF has a 99 T\A and her car has some piston slap but it goes away after a few minutes and hers has never used oil..she has 80K= miles on it
Old 07-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Launching!

My car could probably use a new pump. I thought my low oil pressure was from a spun bearing or something but I don't have any odd noises coming from my engine...just some light tapping on cold startup. I also cut the old oil filter open to look for any metal but all I found was some sludge stuck to the oil filter casing. Since I've had the car I've driven it for about 3k miles and she doesn't even sip any oil. I also get the 10 psi rise per 1k rpm's. But I guess for <$100 a new pump would be cheap insurance anyway. But what if my low pressure if from something else besides the pump? I just hate throwing parts at problems hoping that my problem will go away...it can get expensive.

One thing I have noticed though. When I'm cruising, the pressure will be at a steady 42 psi or so. But when I give a little more gas, like when going up a hill to maintain speed, the pressure will drop a couple of psi. When I let off it goes back up. If I floor it, it will go up and max out between 60-65 psi. Normal behavior or not? My apologies for hijacking the thread.

Last edited by waveoff; 07-30-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:13 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I just swapped in Mobil 1 0w40 last week. I see about the same (stock) gauge pressure at cruising rpms. Idle pressure is....still about the same. But before the change from 10w30 to 0w40 I saw maybe a little less than 30 psi one high 90s day in city traffic, which more or less prompted the change. Well hell, at 130K miles I guess it's entitled to drop a little pressure.....
Old 08-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have any idea what my intervals should be? Like I said I will probably only put 3k miles on a year so I was thinking id do it once a year.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed oil last week and went from 5w-30 to 5w-40 Mobil 1. That's two oil changes in 6000 miles. I figure it's cleaned out from anything the previous owner had done.

I was sitting in the parking lot this morning finishing my cigar before work and made note of the oil pressure. 800 rpm, 30-35 lbs pressure. If there was a difference from the 5w-30 I don't see much. I'd think it's better, but I didn't write anything down...