Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters are in sight ... just got to recover them now

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifters are in sight ... just got to recover them now

Well I was in the process of lowering my oil pan to drop it today when I stuck my head up in the radiator area and saw my lifters sitting on the plate that sits right below the crank. Unfortunately, they're a ways back in there and i cannot pull them straight out the front. My question is, how much play is in that plate if I were to loosen the front too nuts and let it lower down? If i could loosen the nuts and pull the plate down I'd be able to get the lifters out.

Any help will be most appreciated
Old 08-20-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pen magnet.....a really strong one. Or mechanical fingers maybe.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wink

Advanced Auto has a real nice pen magnet for about 7.00, worked perfectly for me, lifts 3.5 lbs.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mr2guru
pen magnet.....a really strong one. Or mechanical fingers maybe.
That happed to me three years ago on my fist LS1, I was able to get all the lifters out with a pen magnet and a flash light, BTW a pen maget is your best friend when working on cars, I dont know how manny times a pen magnet has saved me from having to get off the car and crawl under the car to get somthing or get somthing out of a tight jam. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should have been thinking about that pen magnet before they fell.

Next time just buy you a 4 foot 5/16 dowel rod and cut it in half and slide each piece in the holes.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had pen magnets holding up the lifters when I did the cam swap. But from the time when I pulled the stock cam out (came out very smoothly) to the few minutes later when I tried to slide the new cam in. One of the lifters fell down part way, so when I tried to use the pen magnet to pull it back up, the magnet dropped the lifter.

Anyways I wound up lowering the plate and pulling the lifters out that way. W/ the plate bolted up all the way, there was no way to get the lifters out. I was using a pen magnet but had no way of maneuvering it past the different parts of the crank to get it to the front.
But they're all out now, so I get to start peicing my engine back together tom
Old 08-21-2005, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
I had pen magnets holding up the lifters when I did the cam swap. But from the time when I pulled the stock cam out (came out very smoothly) to the few minutes later when I tried to slide the new cam in. One of the lifters fell down part way, so when I tried to use the pen magnet to pull it back up, the magnet dropped the lifter.

Anyways I wound up lowering the plate and pulling the lifters out that way. W/ the plate bolted up all the way, there was no way to get the lifters out. I was using a pen magnet but had no way of maneuvering it past the different parts of the crank to get it to the front.
But they're all out now, so I get to start peicing my engine back together tom
At least you didn't drop your slave cylinder bleeder valve into your transmission bell housing an hour before you were supposed to be at the track

Took a lot of luck and a pen magnent tied to a string to fish that bitch out of there, we dropped the socket in the bell housing as well.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Should have been thinking about that pen magnet before they fell.

Next time just buy you a 4 foot 5/16 dowel rod and cut it in half and slide each piece in the holes.

What holes?