Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torquer II Cam is installed...PCM is tuned...RUNS LIKE CRAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torquer II Cam is installed...PCM is tuned...RUNS LIKE CRAP!!

Well, I finally got my PCM back from Jason at Texas-Speed. Installed it, and had to run the idle relearn procedure again.

1. Now, when I start her up I've got to give it gas immediately to get it to idle, otherwise it'll die out.

2. Set P0106 Code. MAP Sensor code. I never had to remove this sensor during my basic cam install, so I know there's nothing wrong with it.

3. Car doesn't feel like it's putting the power to the ground. She also stumbles real bad when I let off the gas. I can feel the car winding up, and I know the power is there, it just doesn't feel like it's getting to the ground. kinda like the trans is slipping.

Anyways, my mods are listed in the sig. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll also give Jason at TSP a call as I think it's tune related.

Thanks in Advance

-Matt
Old 09-14-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Just off the cuff but a map sensor code CAN effect the way a auto trans responds to computer inputs,good luck with your problem.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

mine gave me the same code when i first started it also. but then again i told him to tune my car for mods that hadn't went on the car yet, had tuning issues but it was my fault so i cant complain. my trans did give out 1 week to the day of first starting it up though.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

had the same code and called jason and he said he can adjust the min and max to set that code. no more of that after i sent it back to him. just give jason a call he is a great guy to deal with and he will take car of you. also just double check all your connections like plugs wires, plugs, 02 sensors and such before you go blaming tsp.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mines runs fine, fix ur tune. it was a mail tune, not every car is the same
Old 09-14-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the "mail tunes" are a "ball park" tune. Just to get it to start and what not. Need to get it on the rollers for a deatiled tune
Old 09-15-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by REDWS6ROCKET
had the same code and called jason and he said he can adjust the min and max to set that code. no more of that after i sent it back to him. just give jason a call he is a great guy to deal with and he will take car of you. also just double check all your connections like plugs wires, plugs, 02 sensors and such before you go blaming tsp.
Not blaming TSP at all. It was after hours when I posted yesterday, and I thought you guys might give me some insight as to what's going on. I hope my trans isn't going out on me.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Restricted User

You need a good tune...
Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Could very well be the trans. I wouldn't rule that out. Could be MAP sensor or tune related to, but if you're still on the stock trans I'd be looking towards it as the culprit.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the short run you can open TB blade a 1/2 turn and see if a little more idle air helps with start up. If it helps, but doesn't cure it, open it another 1/2 turn. Just do the TPS reset as described in the sticky (PCM forum) about not drilling the TB.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also might check very closely for vac. leaks. Worst case if you have a issue we can change up the P0106 codes, but it doesn't happen very often at all... The Torquer 2 camshaft usually has no issues with the P0106 code, but every once in a while you get a car that's a little bit different!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-15-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

UPDATE: Still waiting on Jason to call me back!

Took the car for another spin today after work. Fired right up, waited a couple seconds for it catch a good idle and put into drive. RPMS dipped down a bit and immediately found a decent idle.

1st WOT run (after engine was fully warmed): Again, spun the RPMs up to about 5000 and didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. Then, all of a sudden, BAM! I was spinning the tires into second. Hit the rev limiter and let off.

2nd WOT run: Gunned it, and the car immediately lept forward. Just barely tapped the rev limiter and shifted into second. Not much bouncing around at all.

I cleaned my MAF sensor yesterday and reset the P0106 code. It has been two full engine cycles since, and has not returned.

I shut her down after a couple of more runs, waited a couple of minutes, and started it back up to see if it would die. It didn't. Stuttered a bit and threatened to shut down, but after a couple of seconds found a smooth idle.

I still get a considerable amount of bucking from 1300-1500 while coasting. Also if I'm cruising at about 1700 rpms all will be fine. As soon I start to accelerate lightly, the rpms surge and the car begins to buck again.

Not sure exactly what the deal is, but I'll post again after talking to Jason.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Just talked to Matt & it looks like the P0106 issue was from a vac leak. We're working on the tranny right now, we're thinking it might be low on atf
Old 09-15-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Yessir, it was about 1/2 quart low. I added 3/4 of a quart, but that was a tad too much. I'll drain some tomorrow and take her for another spin. The P0106 has not come back, and has been about 5 startups since I cleared it.

Now, with the appropriate amount of trans fluid (maybe a little too much) the 1-2 shift takes place at 30 mph and 4000 rpms @ part throttle. Does that sound right?

I'm gonna give Jason a call tomorrow and figure out the little stuff with him. It seems that low trans fluid fixed the 'Runs like crap' problem.

Big thumbs up to Zach, Brian, John, Trevor, and Jason at TSP for being so patient with me. Now I know why everyone raves about TSPs customer service. Kick ***.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

BTW, sorry if the title of this post reflects poorly on TSP. 'RUNS LIKE CRAP' syndrome seems to have been caused by me not paying attention to how much trans fluid I lost when I pulled the radiator.

FWIW, with this cam in the car pulls like a raped ape! It's not until you hit second gear where this bad boy really begins to shine. I can't wait to race my bro's Z06...from a roll!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

No worries man, we'll get it lined out
Old 09-16-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Okay, apparantly the trans was about 3 quarts low! I just checked the trans fluid after adding that 3/4 quart and neither of the holes in the dipstick were filled. Anyway, after a total of three quarts the shifting still isn't right. I'm banging the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift, it will not shift unless I let off the gas some. At part throttle the 1-2 shift occurs exactly at 4000 rpms every time. Seems a little high to me.

I'm gonna have to give Jason a call or PM and talk about these shift points. I'll post more in the transmission section since this is where it belongs.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Driving an A4 3 quartz low could easilly destroy the clutches in the tranny causing your tranny to hit the rev limiter on shifts.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kpowr82
Okay, apparantly the trans was about 3 quarts low! I just checked the trans fluid after adding that 3/4 quart and neither of the holes in the dipstick were filled. Anyway, after a total of three quarts the shifting still isn't right. I'm banging the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift, it will not shift unless I let off the gas some. At part throttle the 1-2 shift occurs exactly at 4000 rpms every time. Seems a little high to me.

I'm gonna have to give Jason a call or PM and talk about these shift points. I'll post more in the transmission section since this is where it belongs.

my guess is that you have your maf de-screened and it will run fine with a few bolt ons, then when you start making some power...you feel the rev limiter
Old 09-16-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chandlerc5
my guess is that you have your maf de-screened and it will run fine with a few bolt ons, then when you start making some power...you feel the rev limiter
Nah, my MAF is stock, still screened. That's one of the first things I learned NOT to mod.

Driving an A4 3 quartz low could easilly destroy the clutches in the tranny causing your tranny to hit the rev limiter on shifts.
I was hitting the rev limiter immediately after installing the PCM. You'd think it would take a couple of hundred miles to completely destroy the clutches eh?