Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Lifters for ls1 block and c5-r heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solid Lifters for ls1 block and c5-r heads

Guys, I just found out that the Jessel lifters I bout in the package that originated from east side (c5-r heads, jessel lifter and rockers, sb2 intake, injectors, etc.) will not work in my sleeved 434 ls1. They apparantly are the wrong diameter (I think they are a ford diameter .875" if I remember correctly) and have no restriction in the oiling whole to retain the proper oil pressure I need. Now that being said I need a solid lifter that will work with my c5-r heads and stock ls1 lifter bore locations and size. I would prefer something without the goofy plastic lifter trays as I have never thought they were a good idea, especially with high rpm solid lifter motors. My rockers are a 1.95 ratio though so my lobe lift will not be that incredible even with my projected .700-.750 total valve lift.

Now the trick is they have to be an offset lifter designed for the c5-r head because of their huge intake ports. Does anybody know of a lifter that will work in the stock lifter bores that is offset accordingly for the c5-r heads.

Furthermore does anyone know of anybody that my be interested in a set of super nice super expensive jessel lifters for a ford lifter bore. This stuff is on the way to my house at the moment so I should have it in the next few days for further inspection. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't you have a machine shop install bushings so the Jesel's will work?
Phil
Old 09-21-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Can't you have a machine shop install bushings so the Jesel's will work?
Phil
No, Erik @ HPE said even with the bushings the oil pressure would not be high enough. That being said I'd rather avoid that anyway cause I can sell these jessel lifters and not be out of any money on a new set of lifters, hopefully. I don't want to sink more money into the block to bush the lifter bores when it's not necessary. I'm just trying to see if someone makes something that's off the shelf. I can always go with a set of custom Isky's or something if needs be.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isky is about a month to 45 days out from comming out with a lifter which I need according to them. They have the correct offset and also have no oiling issues. Wooohoooo
Old 09-21-2005, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Jesel does make a lifter that fits the stock bore. It shows in there catalog. I don't know if it a offset or not. If is not an offset you may have no choice except to lifter bush the block. I would make the guys that you purchased this stuff from fix the block or get the right lifters. If they are not being any help contact Jesel yourself. They sell bushings for all of their lifters they sell and they could shine the light on this for you.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MAC4264
Jesel does make a lifter that fits the stock bore. It shows in there catalog. I don't know if it a offset or not. If is not an offset you may have no choice except to lifter bush the block. I would make the guys that you purchased this stuff from fix the block or get the right lifters. If they are not being any help contact Jesel yourself. They sell bushings for all of their lifters they sell and they could shine the light on this for you.
They bush the block and use a .050" whole to restrict oil, it's only an $1000 process, lol. I think I'll just sell the Jesels and wait for the Isky's or find another stock diameter lifter that'll work.

I know Jesel makes a lifter that will work for what I want but I'm not paying the jesel price for them, I'll wait or find something else. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 09-22-2005, 07:19 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
They bush the block and use a .050" whole to restrict oil, it's only an $1000 process, lol. I think I'll just sell the Jesels and wait for the Isky's or find another stock diameter lifter that'll work.

I know Jesel makes a lifter that will work for what I want but I'm not paying the jesel price for them, I'll wait or find something else. Thanks for the suggestion though

Have you actually mocked up the heads to be sure that the lifters need to be offset. I used standard lifters with my C5R heads. What I did was got a set of Iskys for a small block chevy, used a big block Chrysler tie bar and had good oil pressure from day one. I would definitly make sure you need offset lifters before buying another set.

Matt
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by matt346ls1
Have you actually mocked up the heads to be sure that the lifters need to be offset. I used standard lifters with my C5R heads. What I did was got a set of Iskys for a small block chevy, used a big block Chrysler tie bar and had good oil pressure from day one. I would definitly make sure you need offset lifters before buying another set.

Matt
To be honest I haven't mocked up the setup yet as I do not have it (short block is at HPE, rest of the stuff is on the way). What I'm going off is the fact that the lifters that came with the stuff have a significant offset and so do the rockers. I would certainly thing that the huge ports of the c5-r head will require them but maybe they won't. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I just wanted to see what others were using out there.

Question for you Matt, what diameter pushrod are you using? I'll be using a 3/8" rod which will have a slightly negative impact in clearence verses a 5/16" pushrod.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:40 AM
8 Second Club

To be honest I haven't mocked up the setup yet as I do not have it (short block is at HPE, rest of the stuff is on the way). What I'm going off is the fact that the lifters that came with the stuff have a significant offset and so do the rockers. I would certainly thing that the huge ports of the c5-r head will require them but maybe they won't. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I just wanted to see what others were using out there.

Question for you Matt, what diameter pushrod are you using? I'll be using a 3/8" rod which will have a slightly negative impact in clearence verses a 5/16" pushrod.
I was using a 3/8 pushrod and if I remember correctly I could have almost used either offset or standard lifters. I had a set of both but the standards worked out better. Just because they sold it too you doesn't mean it is right. That stuff has quite a history and I am not sure it has ever even been run. (other than on a c5r racecar at one time) I do know it is great stuff and it will run great though. What intake are you using, I am interested to know? How come you are using a cam with only 700-750 inch lift total. Those heads should not fall off and More lift will be better. Just wondering.

Matt
Old 09-22-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was using a 3/8 pushrod and if I remember correctly I could have almost used either offset or standard lifters. I had a set of both but the standards worked out better. Just because they sold it too you doesn't mean it is right. That stuff has quite a history and I am not sure it has ever even been run. (other than on a c5r racecar at one time) I do know it is great stuff and it will run great though. What intake are you using, I am interested to know? How come you are using a cam with only 700-750 inch lift total. Those heads should not fall off and More lift will be better. Just wondering.

Matt
Intake:

.100 67

.200 150

.300 222

.400 295

.500 341

.600 368

.700 367

Exhaust:

.100 43

.200 111

.300 168

.400 207

.500 222

.600 227

.700 231

Those are the flow numbers of my heads, as you can see they backed up around the .650 area or so. They were flowed at HPE with no pipe and on a 4.155" bore like I'll be using. I'll be using the sb2 intake that came with this package and a 1550 4150 style throttle body. A set of 1 7/8" to 2" kooks with 3.5" merge collectors will be run on this as well. I was told by Ken @ East Side that this stuff only made it through a couple of dyno passes in where a cracked rod ended the life of the motor. I would certainly like to know anything about this stuff that you can tell me though, thanks, it's much appreciated.

Edit: Here is the link in where I purchased this stuff from Jason @ Thunder.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/329428-c5r-heads-custom-intake-jesel-rockers-lifters-etc.html
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 AM
8 Second Club

Intake:

.100 67

.200 150

.300 222

.400 295

.500 341

.600 368

.700 367

Exhaust:

.100 43

.200 111

.300 168

.400 207

.500 222

.600 227

.700 231

Those are the flow numbers of my heads, as you can see they backed up around the .650 area or so. They were flowed at HPE with no pipe and on a 4.155" bore like I'll be using. I'll be using the sb2 intake that came with this package and a 1550 4150 style throttle body. A set of 1 7/8" to 2" kooks with 3.5" merge collectors will be run on this as well. I was told by Ken @ East Side that this stuff only made it through a couple of dyno passes in where a cracked rod ended the life of the motor. I would certainly like to know anything about this stuff that you can tell me though, thanks, it's much appreciated.

Edit: Here is the link in where I purchased this stuff from Jason @ Thunder.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329428
I know that they are the later style port which is down a little from the intake port. Mine flowed 380 cfm @ .850" lift with a 4.060 bore. Not saying yours aren't great just that Katech changed the port design and it may not be as optimum for drag racing. I like the Intake and think that set up will work great. I used the same Headers as your using also. You should be able to put down 600 to the tire on motor pretty easy. Mine made 580rwhp and went 9.27 @ 147 and was on the stock computer. If you are using an aftermarket computer I would think you may even put down more. What do you think.

Matt
Old 09-22-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know that they are the later style port which is down a little from the intake port. Mine flowed 380 cfm @ .850" lift with a 4.060 bore. Not saying yours aren't great just that Katech changed the port design and it may not be as optimum for drag racing. I like the Intake and think that set up will work great. I used the same Headers as your using also. You should be able to put down 600 to the tire on motor pretty easy. Mine made 580rwhp and went 9.27 @ 147 and was on the stock computer. If you are using an aftermarket computer I would think you may even put down more. What do you think.

Matt
No I understand. One question though, what did your midlift numbers look like. I compared mine to some flow numbers I dug up from a sponsor on c5-r and mine were superior in the .300-.600 area and then got beat up from there. One thing I don't like is the exhaust flow of my heads but Ken indicated that when they flowed them with a pipe the peak number was in the 274 range.

One thing to know though is that this motor is only 11.75 to 1 to be able to drive on the street so I may be down on your numbers a little. This motor will be a 434 though, weren't you around the 418 range?

I will be using a stock computer for sometime though so I will be limited. Also, I will only turn this 7500 as this is motor will be a wet sump and it was advised by Erik that 7500 is a safe drag racing limit for a wet sump equiped motor that needs to last.

Quick Reply: Solid Lifters for ls1 block and c5-r heads