Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resizing rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default resizing rods

I have searched quite a bit with no major decisions reached as far as replacing my stock connecting rod bolts with ARP's but, i was wondering who has resized there rods when doing this and who hasn't, and those of you who haven't, how has it been holding up? any special machining? or work needed to be done with the arp pro series and or the arp high-performance series.

Eddie
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I know, LS-series engines that use the cracked-cap con rod design CANNOT be resized. Replacing the bolts shouldn't be a problem, but remember, you CANNOT use the OEM torque to yield specs (15 ft-lbs 1st pass, then an additional 60 degrees) with aftermarket (ARP, etc.) bolts.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Default rod resize, bolt swap

The rods can be resized with special .002" oversize outside diameter bearings. Problem is there are no std. size bearings, only .010 under from what I can find. Unless someone makes a std bearing there is not much you can do with your rods if they are out of round.

If I were doing this I would install the new bolts, torque to spec in a rod vise and then check the big ends for out of round. If out of spec, replace the rod. Of course, the rods have to be out of the engine to do this checking.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 10-05-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the Katech rod bolts. This supposedley isn't an issue with them.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
The rods can be resized with special .002" oversize outside diameter bearings. Problem is there are no std. size bearings, only .010 under from what I can find. Unless someone makes a std bearing there is not much you can do with your rods if they are out of round.

If I were doing this I would install the new bolts, torque to spec in a rod vise and then check the big ends for out of round. If out of spec, replace the rod. Of course, the rods have to be out of the engine to do this checking.

I was planning on taking my car to san antonio for the shootout and i really don't want to tear down the whole enging just to replace the rod bolts, have you ever had any problems with them being out of round even after following the arp tq. sequences?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Launching!

dont worry, replace all with arp...

thet resizing thing is because "they" still think about old school gen II, I V-8 where the rod had to be resized because not strong enough to hold good bolts, also the bolts somewhat served as aligning dowels (hence the wave lock metod of ARP).

this is not nesesary with a craked rod since the crack itself is the "aligning feature" of the two parts.

(I said ARP, because I used that but feel free to put anything exept the asparragus made OEM crap! )
Old 10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Cool bro, which ones did you go with? high performance or pro series? and where did you buy them?
Old 10-05-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

We used a set of arp 2000 bolts that worked fine a while back.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Launching!

dont know the model but in ARP
THE MOS EXPENSIVE ONES!"!!!!!!!

they are a shame to put concealed, they are a beauty and should be declared JEWELRY!!!!!