Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can, how does it work with nothing inside?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can, how does it work with nothing inside?

Im still debating on whether I should install this nice catch can the wife got me. But when I opened the top, I noticed there is no filter element or anything inside. Just a inlet and outlet barb fitting and the outside clear tube level to see how much oil is in the catch can.

I still feel that the oil that is in a mist form is still going to get sucked up by my intake, its just going to go in the catchcan and then straight to the outlet.

Someone mentioned putting a piece of foam or sponge in the can, but still not sure how well thats going to work. Id have to make some kind of plate inside to put a wall up between the inlet/outlet to keep the mist from traveling over even with a piece of foam.

What you guys think? Should I even bother? Ive seen people put the homedepot style air/water separators used on air compressors, not sure how well that works, but also dont like the looks of that, this catch can looks nice cause its all polished and matches all the chrome/polished covers I got.

Dixit
Old 10-09-2005, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

If your theory were correct ("its just going to go in the catchcan and then straight to the outlet"), no oil would accumulate in the can, however, that's far from the case. The catch cans have to be routinely emptied because they fill with oil.

If you're still not convinced, Lingenfelter offers their oil/air vapor separator which includes a replaceable filter element.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Merchant...Category_Code=
Old 10-09-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

For the catch can to be effective, you need to have some sort of a baffel system in place and/or filter material to seperate the oil mist from the air. catch cans without baffels or filters will only catch the oil "drops" (for lack of a better term) and minimal mist.

There are a lot of inexspensive pretty catch cans on the market that are simply empty cans. As well there are a few inexpensive functional not-as-pretty cans on the market. If you want functional and pretty, well then open your wallet
Old 10-10-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, so should I put a large piece of foam in there and create a plate to sort of separate the can into two sections so that the inlet/outlet are not so close to each other in picking up air? Or should I just fill the can with a piece of foam?

Then my question is what type of foam should I use?

Dixit
Old 10-10-2005, 04:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I run a VW clear fuel filter between the catch can and the PCV valve.
This catches any "mist" and forces it to condense. Also a common mistake is to run the can too high. Gravity is wonderful and if can lower than head level, it tends to grab more oil.
I would say i got 98% of my oils sucking issue taken care off.
Greddy round (new) can BTW. Is that ricey??
Old 10-10-2005, 04:58 AM
Launching!

Check- http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm one of the sponsors.......

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 10-10-2005 at 11:06 AM. Reason: fixed a link
Old 10-10-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Junkie

i don't think i would fill the can with foam. Reason being, you still want to pull a vacuum on the crank. The foam may pose a restriction.

As with any filter element (think K&N air filter for a good example), once the filter becomes saturated with oil, oil mist will get past it.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 67pete
Check- http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm- one of the sponsors.......
Klicky and no worky.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Klicky and no worky.
Remove the - (dash) from the end of the link and give it a try.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm
Old 10-10-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure which can you have, but one of those really coarse scrub pads for dishes (copper) would help. However, a stainless mesh would be better. AMW's can has a stainless mesh in it just for that purpose. If your wife bought it, if she's like mine, you have to figure out how to make it work and use it.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Ive been thinking about the steel wool type stuff, but I agree with one of the other members that mentioned I dont like that idea mainly cause the fear that piece might break off and next thing I know it sucked up that thread of steel and into the block it goes, possibly.

So mount the catch can lower than the head if possible?

Dixit
Old 10-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, bud, glad to hear you have your motor issues worked out..

So I buy this "lightweight, T-6 aluminum" catch can off eBay, decent price (40 bux shipped).

So I open the box, and the damn thing is chromed (it's aluminum.. I suppose polishing it would have jacked the up the price, no doubt.) But I don't like shiny anyway.

The real issue for me is this thing is built like a friggin' tank. I mean it has to be all of 2.5~3lbs; you could use it for a jack stand in a pinch.

So I say screw it, out come da tools.. I cut the son-of-a-bitch in half, ditched the end plates (they were half the weight of the entire assembly), machined the "new" bottom flat, drilled and tapped it, and wha-la, a trick. lightweight catch can.

On to your question.. So I had the wife pick me up one of those plastic pot scrubbers, and used some of that material to separate the oil from the mist.. Worked out perfect. I'll send you a pic if you like..
Old 10-10-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think even with nothing in it the catch can offers plenty of (relatively) cool surface area for the oil mist to condense against.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z

thats what I have and its awesome!! I have to empty mine every 3 months or so, well I usually just check it every other oil change. well worth the money to me!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

wow, I just noticed the price went up from $88.00 to $160.00. That is insane! Glad I got mine a while back
Old 10-10-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

best catch can is one made from home depot
Old 10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Hey, bud, glad to hear you have your motor issues worked out..

So I buy this "lightweight, T-6 aluminum" catch can off eBay, decent price (40 bux shipped).

So I open the box, and the damn thing is chromed (it's aluminum.. I suppose polishing it would have jacked the up the price, no doubt.) But I don't like shiny anyway.

The real issue for me is this thing is built like a friggin' tank. I mean it has to be all of 2.5~3lbs; you could use it for a jack stand in a pinch.

So I say screw it, out come da tools.. I cut the son-of-a-bitch in half, ditched the end plates (they were half the weight of the entire assembly), machined the "new" bottom flat, drilled and tapped it, and wha-la, a trick. lightweight catch can.

On to your question.. So I had the wife pick me up one of those plastic pot scrubbers, and used some of that material to separate the oil from the mist.. Worked out perfect. I'll send you a pic if you like..
Yeap ended up being the damn ARP head bolts being about 1thread too long. But the blame is on GM for not threading the holes accurately depth wise.

The plastic sos type pads is a good idea, I know what you talking about there.

And on the catchcan, I got a feeling you and I got the same one. Mines that chrome tank looking one too. Its about 10" tall and endcaps are definetely heavier than the unit itself. But since I dont drag much these days, I will just install it as is.

Did you put like 10 of those plastic sos pads in there?

Dixit
Old 10-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dixit
Yeap ended up being the damn ARP head bolts being about 1thread too long. But the blame is on GM for not threading the holes accurately depth wise.

The plastic sos type pads is a good idea, I know what you talking about there.

And on the catchcan, I got a feeling you and I got the same one. Mines that chrome tank looking one too. Its about 10" tall and endcaps are definetely heavier than the unit itself. But since I dont drag much these days, I will just install it as is.

Did you put like 10 of those plastic sos pads in there?

Dixit
No, not at all, actually cut the pad in half, then "stung it out", cut a section, loosely stuffed it into the can.. Think "just enough to separate the oil from the mist, but not enough to create any restrictions". I also went to AutoZone, found a hose (from some car, who knows, who cares) that had a 180* bend molded in, to send the hose back from the PCV valve to the catch can. Worked out great. What ever you do, DO NOT use that clear hose they supply. As soon as it heats up, it "folds" (don't ask me how I know..) Here is the link to the one I bought..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7998210969

Let me know if it's the same; if it is, I'll send you a pic of what mine looks like now (completely different)!
Old 10-11-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Yeap thats the same thing she got except it doesnt has that logo embossed on the side, there is no logos. But same F'in thing.

Yea that hose looks like what I use in my reef tank setup at home, same stuff you see in homedepot plumbing section. I really want to use stainless steel braided lines, which I may end up doing since I like making it look good as well.

Dixit

Quick Reply: Catch can, how does it work with nothing inside?