#2, cam spray, later heads
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

What route should i take........

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default What route should i take........

Hello everyone. Well now the time comes again where i cant decide where to go after bolt ons.... Bolt ons are being finished this winter including Pace LTs, Fuddle 3600 or 3800 stall, LS6 intake and some suspension mods. Now after this is done im torn between 2 routes and dont know where to head...... Heres my expections and use of the car. Car will only be drivin about 6-7 months out of my year as im in MI with winters. Car is my Daily Driver in the summer and i drive it pretty much everyday. Will see about roughly 5-7k miles a summer. Car wont see the track much but i may go a few times once i can get supporting drivetrain. I am building this mainly for the street so am going with power mods first as my 10 bolt can prolly handle it o nthe street with street tires. After i get the power im going to save for rear and trans and what not so i can hit the track with no worries once n a while. Now to the options.... I am thoroughly invested,and asked MANY question on each subject and decides on the following.....

1.) Finish bolt ons and save for a turbo set up. Looking at a front mount set up like the GMR or Hi-Flo kit. I would get the kit along with injectors, fuel pump, and tune for 6-8 psi. I figure 6-8 psi with supporting bolt ons may get me about 450-500 to the rears. After this i cannot up the boost as i cant put my block in jeopardy but i know.... anything can happen. So after i get this all set up for 6-8 psi. (Got quoted $7k max for a nice set up installed and tuned and only about $5-6K for some other kits) After i get sick of 6-8 psi id have to get my bottom end forged.... i was quoted $6k to pull my motor, forged bottom end, cam of choice, beef everything up, put back in car and tuned. Than i can run approx 13 psi and jsut be insane...... but thats a lot of dough! I figure id be happy with the 6-8 psi o nthe street for a while and it wouldnt be for a while til i forged the motor. After bolt ons, were looking at about $7k to get running on 6-8 psi and about 500 to the rears.

2.) Finish bolt ons and get an MS3 cam and look for around 400 to the rears. After this i oculd look into getting a nice wet shot which i am not to into doing as (i know if i have nitrous in my car, Ill use it...a lot and it will turn into a money pit to keep refilling) but i could do that and then save for a nice set of heads and look for about 450 na and close to 600 on the nitrous. I would then do supporting drivetrain/suspension mdos so i can hit the track...
After bolt ons were looking at about $1500 for the cam only installed and tuned and about 400 rwhp. Tach on another grand for the spray and looking at jsut over 500 rwhp. Than add heads which will be about 2000-3000 depending on what ones i go with.

Now this car will be driven everyday.... I want power... I believe a 6-8 psi turbo'd LS1 will take the heads/cam'd ls1 all day but o nthe juice, itd get smoked. However if i went turbo, i could grow so much. Where as the ls1 is maxxed out pretty much going heads/cam/spray, i could forge my motor, up the boost and HP numbers skyrocket. Sooo turbo is more pricey but puts down the power. it is also stealthy around town until it spools up. Now i have a question..... since this is driven everyday i NEED reliability. I know for both set ups, its all i nthe tune which i will get done professionally. So after reading about what i want and need out of the car and what the two choices have to offer, please vote on what route you think BEST suits MY NEEDS! thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-13-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go turbo or ATI Procharger.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea i have been researching FI for the past month and have came to the conclusion on going with either a turbo setup or maybe the D1SC unit, but mroe than likely a turbo kit if i decide to go the FI route over heads/cam/spray....... keep the input coming as of right now i have no idea which route i want to take. someone convince me with reasons if you can. thanks!

Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i think the heads/cam and even spray done by a reputable shop would be the safest bet for something you need to rely on.

if you want to live dangerously and have deep pockets go turbo
Old 11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sorry for the long post.

Cliff Note: Option 1, 6-8 psi turbo set up, Option 2, MS3 cam, nitrous shot, save for heads. Car is daily driver in summer. see the track onc ei get supporting drivetrain mods once n a while. need reliability. Which to take?

Old 11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Any input?

Old 11-14-2005, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Im sort of thinking for my wallets sake and reliability maybe go with the MS3 and a 100 dry or wet shot. What do you all think?

Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok, im pretty set on Cam route..... For 95% street DD use, 5% track.... i was thinking Fuddle 3600 2.5 str with the MS3. How does this combo sound? Match up well or not? I wat to make some serious power and be close to mid 11's at the track with suspension mods as well.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Joel@

It sounds great...just get a great tune to keep some driveabilty. You will have tons of topend power, so get a good set of gears. You should really do some head work to ,if you want the full potential of that camshaft, and up the comp ratio also.

But if you want great driveability and power when you mash the gas, then a single turbo kit is the way to go. just my 02 though
Old 11-15-2005, 12:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea but after thinking about it..... to even get started in a turbo set up im going to have to drop 6-8 grand. I can get a cam and all the stuff for around a grand, nitrous for another, and im only like 1/3 the price of the turbo..... Plus from what ive been hearing, for daily driver needing to be reliable, turbo isnt my best choice. Thanks for yuor help....... What would be a good head to match the MS3?