Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effects of loose Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Effects of loose Timing Chain

Just installed an F10 on my goat with 15K. I noticed that when I had the chain fully installed the cam pulley would turn 1-2 degrees either way due to excessive slack in the chain. I had no choice to put it back together at the time and on Mon. I ordered a new ls2 chain that will get installed this weekend. Other than the OBVIOUS risks involved here, what would be the technical effect on the way the engine performs. One thing that bothers me is the valvetrain harmonics at 2800 rpm and up seems to be a little excessive.
Under full throttle or cruise. Now I had a TSP 231/237 before this and the valve train was much quieter. I used the same 7.4 TSP p/r's for it as I have the F10. Any input? I noticed in the other chain thread that it is common for
these chains to be looser but should you be able to move the cam sprocket? I would think not.

Last edited by GMCVT; 11-20-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Problem with that is that it is harder to see if the timing is off trying to judge with the amount of slack in the chain. Whatever you do, before you start it, turn it over by hand a couple times and make sure the dots line up.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Problem with that is that it is harder to see if the timing is off trying to judge with the amount of slack in the chain. Whatever you do, before you start it, turn it over by hand a couple times and make sure the dots line up.
Well, then maybe it wasn't turning as much as I thought. I was thinking that 1 chain slot was worth 3 or 4 degrees, not 1 or 2. But I DIDNT rotate it like I should have. The dots lined up perfectly but it didn't seem to me that the cam sprocket would turn enough to throw the cam timing off. Is this common? and again what are the expected effects? Thank you!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is more common when reusing a stock chain or a single chain rather than a double roller chain. The DR chains are tight as hell. If the timing is off, you may have piston to valve clearance issues (aka the valves will be hitting the pistons). That's why i said turn it over a couple times to make sure the valves aren't hitting the pistons.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

he has stock heads and thats my old cam he's running.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Var
On The Tree

i installed an LS2 timing chain on my car yesterday. I forgot to check the slack in the old before i took it out. It does seem a little loose to me. I bolted it all back together though. I hope everything will be ok
Old 12-01-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Var
i installed an LS2 timing chain on my car yesterday. I forgot to check the slack in the old before i took it out. It does seem a little loose to me. I bolted it all back together though. I hope everything will be ok
Ya know, I keep reading everyone saying their new chains are loose and it makes me wonder. SURELY, being able to move the cam sprocket back and forth after everything is installed cannot be right. Either I have a BAD (ie.. worse than just a loose fitting chain) case of slack or I'm missing something.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine had alot of play too, but i didnt buy a replacement so just left it in
Old 12-01-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

timing chains loosen up. its a fact. its possible that the ls2 timing chain will not stretch as much as the factory one, so thats why it is looser when new?

i really wouldnt worry about a loose chain. i doubt its enough to cause p/v clearance issues. i acutally measured mine on my stang one time because i thought it was very loose. i had replaced a loose one because i thought it was very loose...then the next time i took the engine apart, the newer one was just as loose. i cant remember the numbers but its very insignificant. if anything it retards the cam a little and will give more power

Quick Reply: Effects of loose Timing Chain