Sponsored by:

patriot stage 3 LS6 heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:31 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default patriot stage 3 LS6 heads

curious if anyone is running these heads. i couldnt care about flow #'s.
are these heads making power and laying down track times?
for the money, they look hard to beat.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try the search button
Old 12-10-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, I think those heads are for large bore blocks, as in 4.000"+. Secondly, I dont think they flow enough to feed a large bore motor, unless its a stock stroke like a 6.0L LS2. For the money though, they are hard to beat. If you are going to get them, I'd order them bare, send them out for some additional porting/hand finishing/polishing, then assemble them with some nice Ferrea valves and a good set of springs and Ti retainers.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:08 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dame
try the search button
oh yea, i searched.
tons of info, just non that im looking for specifically.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:10 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
First of all, I think those heads are for large bore blocks, as in 4.000"+. Secondly, I dont think they flow enough to feed a large bore motor, unless its a stock stroke like a 6.0L LS2. For the money though, they are hard to beat. If you are going to get them, I'd order them bare, send them out for some additional porting/hand finishing/polishing, then assemble them with some nice Ferrea valves and a good set of springs and Ti retainers.
im running a 6.0 right now, which may turn into a 402/408 anyday.
if i were to do what you mention, id be defeating the purchase of the budget head.
id have a few more dollars into it, and be better off buying an ETP head at that point.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:15 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Roofer Dave hasem
He made over 500RW with the S3's...
They work just fine...
Old 12-10-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ
im running a 6.0 right now, which may turn into a 402/408 anyday.
if i were to do what you mention, id be defeating the purchase of the budget head.
id have a few more dollars into it, and be better off buying an ETP head at that point.
Buying those heads for under $1k, then sending them out to be hand finished for a few hundred dollars, then assembling them yourself with top the line valve train will still be cheaper than many of the top performing heads out there, and should perform just as well.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have them on top of my 370 that i'm building right now. They seem to be fine quality, especially for the price. Dont have the motor in yet, so im not sure what kinda power/track times they will put out.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:47 AM
Banned

Don't waste your time. There are plenty of tea heads or PRC heads that meet your requirements without the quality control issues that P.P. is known for.

Nate
Old 12-11-2005, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

I don't have the Patriot LS6 heads but I have the Patriot 5.3 stage 2 heads. I would look at what else is out there like AFR or TEA.

I installed mine about 1.5 years ago and did the cam at the same time. I only improved 0.4 sec and 2 mph in the quarter. The last time I was at the track I experianced a .2 sec and 2 mph loss. On the way home I was noticing extra noise in the valve train. We took the valve covers off and remove the rocker arms. We noticed 3 of the 16 valves where shot. One was so bad that it was about ready to drop.

We removed the heads and took them to Jerry Arnold. (He is a well known head porter in the area.) I also took my stock heads with me. We flow tested the patriot heads and noticed that the flow was way higher on the exhaust than the intake at .100 and .200 lift. Backwards from what it should be. Below .400 the stock heads actually flowed better than the patriots. He re-ported the heads and put 2.055 on the intake and 1.600 valves on the exhaust. $1000 dollars (heads only) plus labor to put them back on the motor and I finally am getting what I all ready paid for from patriot the first time.

For the money you are sinking into your motor I would go with a repitable Head or get bare heads and take them to somebody that can check them out, clean them up and put good valves in. You do not want to drop a valve or you will have real problems.

I am not trying to dog Patriot. I just don't want people to go through the problems I did if they don't have to.

Al
Old 12-11-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

About 1.5-2 years ago is when Patriot was having all the problems with the "soft" valves or whatever you wanna call it. That problem has since been corrected and you can get their heads with the REV valves now instead of the old patriot brand. I know 3-4 guys running the newer Patriot heads with ZERO problems.. Quality Control seems to have gotten 100% better now.. Just my opinion though..
Old 12-11-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

TJ,
I think the Patriots have gotten much better over the last year. For the money, they are hard to beat. Of course the high dollar heads are better, but they better be for over double the money. Hell, Ian has the old ones on his car and they are supposed to be garbage and it runs HARD for a full weight car. Joe and I are going up there to pick up a set in the next few weeks. You can ride up and watch them flow um with us if you want.

John
Old 12-11-2005, 06:41 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by John02SS
TJ,
I think the Patriots have gotten much better over the last year. For the money, they are hard to beat. Of course the high dollar heads are better, but they better be for over double the money. Hell, Ian has the old ones on his car and they are supposed to be garbage and it runs HARD for a full weight car. Joe and I are going up there to pick up a set in the next few weeks. You can ride up and watch them flow um with us if you want.

John
when are yall headed up?
arent they in rainbow city(decatur)
my folks live about a half hour south.
if i can get off work, i may tail up behind and visit my grandparents afterwards. all dependant on my work schedule.
thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

It will be Early Jan prolly. They are in rainbow city. Sounds like a plan. I'll let ya know when we are heading up.

John