Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam shredded my lifter............

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam shredded my lifter............

I finally got the motor apart and was able to pull of the lifters out from the top but one. I ended up sticking a magnet into the cam opening and catching the lifter as I pushed it into the engine. All of the lifters were in perfect shape except for this one lifter which has the top .5 inches CHOPPED off. The cam lobe that contacts this lifter has slight scarring(just roughened it up a little). There are no gouges or chips in the lobe. Can a lobe on a cam be smoothened out? This is no aparent cam bearing damage at all!

I would like to just repair this cam lobe(hopefully less than $50) if possible, get a used set of lifters and put the engine back together. Then I can beat on the engine this spring until I get the 408 assembled and paid for.

So, cam a cam lobe be smoothened out?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general no unless its something that can be polished out but its doubtful judging by what you have said of the carnage. It sounds to me like your lifter crapped out and ate the cam up, its very rare that a cam causes lifter damage.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a used stock cam from someone on the classifieds. I wouldn't spend time repairing and replacing a faulty cam.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

The cam shredding the lifter is actually somehow a result of the cam bolts coming loose and moving forward/backward. The lobes are almost smoth enough that I might just put it back in because I dont care about the block anymore. Nothing will be reused on the new engine. I really dont want to go back to the stock cam because then I would have to replace all the springs with the stock springs(NOT WORTH IT). I guess I will just call the local engine shop and see if they can just polish it up...
Old 12-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Man that sucks, don't blame it on the cam it wasn't it's fault. You can use whatever springs you have on there for any replacement cam, stock or aftermarket. I got a stock 2000 cam i can sell you cheap if you really need one.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

I'll give you my stock 2000 cam, you pay shipping. I just hate to see you try to band-aid that cam and put it back in.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

i have seen cam lobes get brittle and chip off but it usually takes alot to hurt the lifter. don't rig the cam up. just put a stock one in, there a tons people would just give one to you. hell i have one if needed. your springs will be ok to get you by, no need to change them.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Well, I know there are bad cams out there that create lifter problems. I have a cam out of a Z06 crate engine that has a bad lobe. I guess it was a casting problem that QC missed after the lobes were ground. The defect is squarely in the center of the lifter roller travel.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't polish it out. The cam is case hardened and if you deplete the thickness of the hardening and weaken the usrface, you will have bigger problems later. I would get another cam unless you want to go in again later.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Ok just going to buy a new cam then. How can I assure that I have found any chucks of metal that might has come off of the broken lifter? Remove oil pan, check oil plug, check pick-up tube. Anywhere else pieces can go that I should worry about?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kenp
Well, I know there are bad cams out there that create lifter problems. I have a cam out of a Z06 crate engine that has a bad lobe. I guess it was a casting problem that QC missed after the lobes were ground. The defect is squarely in the center of the lifter roller travel.
gm had some problems with the hardning process on the gen 3 cams. i see some every now and then at the dealership. but have yet to this day seen one hurt a lifter.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmmm....I would also be real suspicious of the lifter bore. If it did that kind of damage to the lifter, the bore has to have some damaged also.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

A couple of people have had problems where the lifter tray let the lifter turn, so it wasn't lined up so it would roll on the cam, and that's what took out their lifter and/or cam lob.

Wouldn't hurt to check/replace the lifter tray.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Hmmmm....I would also be real suspicious of the lifter bore. If it did that kind of damage to the lifter, the bore has to have some damaged also.
Well, when I was removing the lifters the damaged lifter moved up and down smoothly until it moved up enough to hit the damaged area of the lifter that was actually wider than the bore. It was never stuck until you tried to pull it out from the top, that is why I pushed it into the motor and caught it wish a magnet. Beyond a visual inspection of the bore I guess I can assume that no damage was done?

Question: how do I find/get all the small pieces that broke off the lifter from the lower end of the motor?

Quick Reply: Cam shredded my lifter............