Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started Heads&Cam today..Holy Crap!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started Heads&Cam today..Holy Crap!! UPDATE

Wow! What in the world did I get myself into?? HUH? What were you guys thinking when you say its easy and stuff. Dear lord. Anywho. Started off not to bad. Got the radiator out..p/s pump and the intake, which is a bit tricky with all the damn connecters and those pesky little vacumn lines on the back! Those arent noted in the LS1Howto guide.(hint, hint). So ya, got that out. My intake ports..good lord Covered in oil..pcv system seems to be pulling awhole lot more oil that it should. However, I only lose about 1/2qt between changes. Maybe I'll replace the vavle while its all apart. Then..it was on to the exhaust....

Well, that was not fun. You see, I have pacesetters w/TSP OFY pipe. Well, the damn Ypipe didnt want to come apart enough so that the headers would drop enough to remove the lower head bolts. 2 1/2hrs later, were still banging with the 5lb sledge. moved a little bit. Mind you, were trying to take it apart either off the header, or slip fit just aft of the header pipe. Which ever one decides to please us first and just fall on our heads. Didnt care at the time. Just wanted the damn thing apart. So yea, were still banging and nothings moving. 'Bout to bust out the sawzall and say F**k it. Well, my buddy Drew grabs the pipe, and just pulls it apart. WTF? All that bangind and nothing moves then he just pulls it apart. Oh well, so that was off. Then pulled the drivers header out..but pass. header still in cause I couldnt get the car high enough with the extra 2ft long pipe still on. OFW, it can stay the for all I care. So then, I proced to pull the crank pulley....

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA! 2hrs later its off. Could not, for the life of me get a damn puller that was either, wide enough, long enough or just damn work!! Nope, tooooo long....nope, too short.... That wasnt fun.

Sorry for the book. Just had to vent. My poor wife thought I was having an exorcism during some of the work. But the hobby shop is closed till 9am tommorow. I plan on getting the heads off and stock cam out tommorow. BTW, just getting the stock heads cleaned up. Pulling them because of lifters. Then, I get to put it all back to together..(Crank Yankers voice: Yeeeaaaa....YYYeeeeaaaaa

NOT!@

Ski

Oh..and I have a nasty oil leak coming from somewhere..all around my oil filter to down by the drain plug is NASTY! Course my tranny on back is just as bad from driving. I'm hoping to find out where from tommorow. But i did notice so far on the top back of the engine its clean..so the only thing i can think of is either: oil pan gasket or rear seal. But I have to pull the tranny also when this is done..so hopefully it will be more clear.

Update:Well, I got the heads off today, cleaned up the old gaskets..still trying to clean out the bolt holes..those back ones are a PITA. I pulled the old cam out. Just waiting on parts..The new cam showed up today and I picked up my 850-16 lifters..there soaking in oil now. I'll stab the new cam in and get what I can of the front buttoned up tommorow and toss in the new lifters as well. My springs and what not wont be here until next tues~wed. Sooo..the rest has to wait... Having fun though!! Done 90% all by myself!!

Ski

Last edited by Rebelord; 12-22-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:51 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

lol

Its not easy by any means...its just very very time consuming.

I ran into a lot of problems. Nothing that I could nt work out, but they did set me back hours upon hours.

Just got to keep on going man, you get it done.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! The hard parts over, it's all downhill from here on out..................NOT! Hang in there, you'll get it. Take lot's of breaks and lot's of deep breaths and try not to break anything.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

thats funny we beat on my headers till we were red in the face then turned blue. once the heads and balancer are off it is all down hill. good luck to man. let us know how everything goes. if you have a question shoot me a pm. i am no rookie to h/c swaps.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

I was not even there that long to help and i still cut my hand on that pos . anyways, everything seems to be going well, i am interested to see how fast this car is going to go when it gets done. i know one thing, i definately would not ant to do this to my car LOL too much work!

ps: i almost wrecked and died today.......
Old 12-22-2005, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bowtieforpower
That might be me next week..LOL. When all my parts show and I can put it back together.

But you helped quite a bit..would be nice if you could be there for the initial start-up..and wannabe idle on stock tune.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieforpower
Glad you're ok man! It's instances like those that make us say "Ok I think my car is fast enough."

Good luck with the rest of the setup, I'm purchasing all my tools next week w/ my Christmas cash so I can start doing this stuff come spring. FYI the only thing i've ever changed on a car is rotor/cap, brakes, and plugs/wires

I know im going to run into so many problems cuz i'm a mechanic n00b!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

yea ski knows the details on my near death experience, lol. good thing i am not a newb to driving. for the initial start-up ski, we will get the camera going and record it for the video.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Glad you're ok man! It's instances like those that make us say "Ok I think my car is fast enough."
:

thats what i was thinkin!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Rescue Ranger: Just take your time. Thats what I'm doing. Plus I have every LS1/LS6 book and I printed out the LS1TechHowto guide. Looks like you and I have pretty similar cars 'cept yours is a M6. Good luck.

Ski
Old 12-22-2005, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

cool beans man. I'll be checking your post for updates to learn. I ordered my cam, heads, headers today. should be here 1st week of 2006. I have'nt done this kind of work since I joined the Navy, 15 1/2 yrs ago. keep us posted on progress and good luck man. I know it will be all worth it. especially you can say " I did it". cool beans man.

fuerzaws6
Old 12-23-2005, 08:32 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Rebelord-good luck with the install and that fm14
Old 12-23-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rebelord
Update:Well, I got the heads off today, cleaned up the old gaskets..still trying to clean out the bolt holes..those back ones are a PITA. I pulled the old cam out. Just waiting on parts..The new cam showed up today and I picked up my 850-16 lifters..there soaking in oil now. I'll stab the new cam in and get what I can of the front buttoned up tommorow and toss in the new lifters as well. My springs and what not wont be here until next tues~wed. Sooo..the rest has to wait... Having fun though!! Done 90% all by myself!!Ski
I feel for you F-body types... Especially when is comes to working around the back of the block/heads. Best-man from my wedding ask me to install a H/C setup for his Z28, I just smiled and told him good luck...

Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Don't feel bad, it took me a week-and-a-half to just do a cam swap. I was so paranoid about messing something up I checked and rechecked my work, and I knocked off when I started getting grumpy. But the great thing about being a shade tree mechanic is there's no clock to punch. Just take your time and worry about one thing at a time. Everything came out perfect, so I was rewarded for being careful and patient. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2005, 10:23 AM
dug
Banned

incase you dont know. Make sure to clean out the bolt holes in the block. Get all the antifreeze out or else the block can get cracked.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdd
Rebelord-good luck with the install and that fm14
Thanks. And yes, still trying to get the bolt holes completely clean/dry. The very back ones..especially the passenger side are the PITA ones the most. I'll get them. Plus this is az..and its been hot last couple of days..so that helps with the heat. NO Shadtree mechanics going on here..I work on 53million dollar jets for my normal job. So yea..time and patience.

Ski
Old 12-23-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by Rebelord
Thanks. And yes, still trying to get the bolt holes completely clean/dry. The very back ones..especially the passenger side are the PITA ones the most. I'll get them. Plus this is az..and its been hot last couple of days..so that helps with the heat. NO Shadtree mechanics going on here..I work on 53million dollar jets for my normal job. So yea..time and patience.

Ski
Then pardon my "shade tree mechanic" comment. I'm the STM, obviously not you.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator
Then pardon my "shade tree mechanic" comment. I'm the STM, obviously not you.
LOL..not saying you are. Not saying I'm not all the time either. Done some.....shady stuff myself. Ever pull a engine out of a '80 malibu with a big *** pipe, 2chains and 4ppl?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

LOL, no, I really am a STM! I don't think of it as "shady," more like non-professional. No offense taken at all. If you're working on those expensive planes, you're in a different category.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here's the easy way to do heads and cam. Getting there is a little difficult

http://groups.msn.com/SteveDawn/theracecarbuildup.msnw