Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, gouged cam race/bearing during cam removal!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help, gouged cam race/bearing during cam removal!

Hi All
I just removed my cam and I didn't remove it straight. To make a long story short I gouged the heck out of the last cam race/bearing in the engine. Can I sand this down a bit and reuse it, or do I have to replace it?

If I do have to replace, how do I do it? Does the race have to be pressed in?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Launching!

The answer is completely dependent upon the amount of damage - we are going to need to see a good picture. "Gouged the heck out of it" does not sound good though.

Cam bearings are normally replaced with the block out of the car and at a machine shop. It might be possible to replace just the front bearing in the car but it would be extremely difficult to get the old bearing out and to get the new one in square.

It seems like someone else had this problem a few months back. Perhaps they will chime in or you could search and see what his resolution was.

Let's see a pic.

Steve
Old 02-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

i would replace it, and you might have to pull the motor to do it unless you get creative. post a pic
Old 02-10-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most machine shops have a cam bearing puller/installer that is a slide hammer type tool.
If it is the front bearing, that tool may work in the car. If it is #2 or3, the motor will have to come out.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

It is the #1 cam bearing. I'm going to talk to a friend that has an engine rebuild shop in his garage and see if he can do the job in my friends job. It dosen't look too involved being everything is apart. Any ideas on the part # for the cam bearing?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You just aren't having the best of luck with this. I feel bad for ya, hope things go smoothly from here!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

No, my luck has been crummy as hell. My car is stuck in my buddy's garage and I suspect it is wearing out its welcome. At least I learned a valuble lesson; the next time I won't make the same mistake. I'm pretty sure I can get the thing out with a cam bearing removal tool. If I have to I can pull my AC condensor and just recharge the AC system later; it's so damn cold I won't need AC for months.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

OK, a little update here. You can remove the #1 bearing from in the car, I know because I did it this afternoon. It's not easy, I had to remove the hood latch brace and wiper fluid tank, and of course the radiator and move some hoses but I got it out. I'm putting the bearing back in tomorrow; that should be fairly easy. I already did some hammering on it but the bearing is tough to get in straight. Tomorrow I'll finish that damn head and cam swap come hell or high water!

Quick Reply: Help, gouged cam race/bearing during cam removal!