Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug is being a pain, need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006 | 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Spark Plug is being a pain, need help

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem on the front drivers side plug hole. I've tried every plug of my 8 and they dont seem to want to go in further without pushing real hard. I installed the other 7 and they went right in no problem, and I took out the plug that wasn't going in easily and put it into another cylinder and it went right in.

What the crap is going on? I put my finger in the hole and nothing seems to be in the way?

*edit* Welp, I cross threaded my spark plug in #1. I should stick to finance and let the pros do this ****. Am I screwed? Does the head have to come off? I had a sliver of metal come off when I took out the plug (it was stuck to the anti-seize).

I guess I'll have to wait until monday and call East Side Performance to see what they can do for me. I should PM them this thread.

Last edited by Rescue Ranger; 02-11-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:21 PM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Sounds like a plug was crossthreaded into that particular hole at some point. The threads in the head might be chewed up.

You should always start threading the plugs in by hand until snug. Then you can put a wrench on them. Otherwise, you run the risk of crossthreading them.
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Sounds like a plug was crossthreaded into that particular hole at some point. The threads in the head might be chewed up.

You should always start threading the plugs in by hand until snug. Then you can put a wrench on them. Otherwise, you run the riske of crossthreading them.
Wonderful.. this is what I was afraid of. What can I do? Just push the plug in harder and see if it goes?
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:27 PM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Wonderful.. this is what I was afraid of. What can I do? Just push the plug in harder and see if it goes?
Do the threads on the plugs you've tried installing in that hole have any burrs or messed up spots after you removed them?

You don't want to force them in. You can end up breaking the plug off, or worse yet drop metal shavings down into the cylinder.

I'd take a flashlight and see if you can peer down into the hole to check out the threads. Since it's your #1 cylinder, it shouldn't be too hard to get a peek down in there. That way, you'll know if it is the threads before proceeding further.
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the threads on the plugs you've tried installing in that hole have any burrs or messed up spots after you removed them?

You don't want to force them in. You can end up breaking the plug off, or worse yet drop metal shavings down into the cylinder.

I'd take a flashlight and see if you can peer down into the hole to check out the threads. Since it's your #1 cylinder, it shouldn't be too hard to get a peek down in there. That way, you'll know if it is the threads before proceeding further.

Is there a way to fix the thread? Does the head have to come off if the thread is screwed up?
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

None of the old plugs have screwed up threads, they all look fine
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:39 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I had the same problem a few weeks ago....turns out that I was just at the wrong angle...and I was being a pansy.

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2006 | 03:41 PM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I had the same problem a few weeks ago....turns out that I was just at the wrong angle...and I was being a pansy.
That's why it's best to hand thread them in first. The wrong angle will definitely cross thread.
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

shyat.. i'm not sure wether to say **** it and see if it goes.. the threads didn't look bad, my other 7 plugs went in like butter.. but i dont wanna excuse to buy a h/c package
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:50 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Yeah, hand thread practically all the way in always...I don't like turning the sparkplugs with a wrench/ratchet more than I have to. I dropped my passenger side header just to be sure.
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, i'm screwed. its threaded, a small sliver of metal came out attached to the anti seize on the plug.

What do I do now?
Old 02-11-2006 | 03:59 PM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

You mentioned "old plugs" in post #6, but I didn't know if that actually meant the old plugs that you're not using anymore. This is assuming you're installing new plugs...

Do you still have the old plugs? This might sound crazy, but see if the old #1 cylinder plug threads back in real easy (it would be awesome if you knew which one was in the #1 cylinder). If that works out well, you might want to just go buy another spark plug and try that. That would be your least expensive route in trying to fix the problem.
Old 02-11-2006 | 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You mentioned "old plugs" in post #6, but I didn't know if that actually meant the old plugs that you're not using anymore. This is assuming you're installing new plugs...

Do you still have the old plugs? This might sound crazy, but see if the old #1 cylinder plug threads back in real easy (it would be awesome if you knew which one was in the #1 cylinder). If that works out well, you might want to just go buy another spark plug and try that. That would be your least expensive route in trying to fix the problem.

No i think i really screwed it up. I stood back and looked at the angle the plug was in at, and it was totally off from the rest of the plugs. I think i uber-screwed myself. Does this mean the head has to come off?
Old 02-11-2006 | 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

omg im so mad right now, lol but one of my positive attributes is patience, and at work crisis management.. so I guess im fine with this.. I haven't done anything but shake my head at myself.. but if the head has to come off, its time for h/c package. if it can be fixed w/o head removal, than fine that'd be nice.. lol.
Old 02-11-2006 | 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

check a parts store and see if they have a thread chaser for a for a sperk plug i know there out there we have on at work. hopefully its just the start of the hole you you can chase it and clean it out. put some grease or vasoline on the chaser to pick up the metal files.
Old 02-11-2006 | 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

it can be done on car. but i was gonna say good excuse to H/C it oops
Old 02-11-2006 | 04:34 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I chased mine and it worked. Patience is not a virtue of mine ... I like the BFH approach.
Old 02-11-2006 | 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess i'll have to flatbed it to east side and let them deal with it.. i have no desire to mess up anything further
Old 02-11-2006 | 05:28 PM
'Bird Director
20 Year Member

Spark plug thread chaser listed on Eastwood (LS1tech Sponsor):

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
Old 02-11-2006 | 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. I'll call up East Side on Monday and post up what they tell me they can do as far as labor. i might even be like.. 'throw a cam in while your at it..' lol

Quick Reply: Spark Plug is being a pain, need help