Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ported oil pump, pressure dropped.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ported oil pump, pressure dropped.

Well guys i just got done with my cam install and started her up. I went with the F14, it sounds awesome. Anyways, i installed the Futral ported LS6 pump and after the install my oil pressure dropped.

Before with the stock pump, at idle it used to be around 45psi steady.

Now with the new pump it gets down around 40psi or a little below when its all the way warmed up and idling. I know that pressure is still good pressure and is nothing to worry about but i am just curious if anyone else has had this happen and why it is?

also please check out my other post, i ran into a big problem with my speedometer and am in sever need of help thanks,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/465070-cam-install-speedo-stopped-working.html
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I was going to say a pinched O ring...but you still have good pressure hmmm....not sure.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

yeah im glad that i didnt run into that dreaded problem. Im glad that i have good oil pressure but it just seems a little odd to me.

But its weird, all of my friends that have fbodys and ybodys, their cars have always had around 40 or a lil below at idle, and mine has always stayed at least 45 at idle. I have never seen anothe fbody or ybody that had as good of oil pressure as mine did before...

Oh well i guees now my car is just average
Old 03-07-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what I'm concerned about also. I have (had) an aftermarket cam in my car with the stock pump and chain. My oil pressure was always around 50psi on warm idle and anything above 1500-2000 rpm would be about 60-65 psi. I'm re-doing the set-up including the oil pump with an SLP piece. I'm hoping I don't have the same thing happen.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

I had this happen when I put in a Katech ported pump when I did my h/c on my vette. I used to have 35psi at hot idle (5W-30, oil temp ~210) Then it went to 30 at idle. It went up to over 70 at WOT so it wasn't a big concern. Then I redid my heads and rephased the cam. When I did that I pulled the oil pump and shimmed the pressure release valve spring ~.060". I picked up another 3psi at hot idle. I should have put .100"-.120" shimming in and then I would have had a bit more. I think the pressure difference is from the difference in spring pressure in each individual pump. The next time I pull the front cover I will shim it up to .100",

Also, are you measuring your oil pressure with a calibrated gauge or the instrument cluster? The cluster's are not known for their accuracy.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Im going by my oil pressure gauge in the stock cluster... i know it aint completely accurate but its all i had to go by at the time..
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

This is typical of all pumps...as flow increases, pressure decreases
Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

yeah i guess it makes since, as amperage increases volts decreases and vice versa... hmm should have put my mind to it before lol
Old 03-08-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Riddlerls1
yeah im glad that i didnt run into that dreaded problem. Im glad that i have good oil pressure but it just seems a little odd to me.

But its weird, all of my friends that have fbodys and ybodys, their cars have always had around 40 or a lil below at idle, and mine has always stayed at least 45 at idle. I have never seen anothe fbody or ybody that had as good of oil pressure as mine did before...

Oh well i guees now my car is just average
Is the car idleing at less RPM then before? If you are untuned and havent raised the idle Id bet that is what you are seeing. regardless 40 psi at idle is more than fine.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is the new pump shimmed? maybe the stocker had a stiffer spring.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

It is untuned... but it idle around 800 when it finally calms down. I didnt shim the oil pump, i think i will if i ever pull the cover off again.

Also what idle speed is everyone setting there cars at (with cams)

This cam sounds absolutely amazing, im in love with my car all over again. The only thing that i absolutely hate is that my speedo no longer works
Old 03-08-2006, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

yeah i guess it makes since, as amperage increases volts decreases and vice versa... hmm should have put my mind to it before lol
True, it is an energy concept...if it makes you feel any better, i'm an engineer (i had to go to school to figure this out ) i hope this helps, but i can't help with the speedo problem...
Old 03-08-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

It is untuned... but it idle around 800 when it finally calms down. I didnt shim the oil pump, i think i will if i ever pull the cover off again.

Also what idle speed is everyone setting there cars at (with cams)

This cam sounds absolutely amazing, im in love with my car all over again. The only thing that i absolutely hate is that my speedo no longer works
Mine is a small 228/228 XER cam and the idle is set at about 900. I get about 43-44 psi cold idle...34 or so hot.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The drop in pressure is a good thing...

It means that there is more flow.

Bernoulli's Principle tells us that as the fluid flows more quickly the pressure actually decreases rather than increases!

Fun with physics, gotta love it.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

yup i remember that now. i am majoring in engineering, and have taken plenty of physics, i feel dumb for not thinking about it before I guess i was just so caught up in it that my brain was not working....

oh yeah and my speedo just decided to magically start working again today
Old 03-11-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have many mods and my gauge inside peaks at 40psi , it`s wack! i peak at 55psi with .003 mains and cooler, remote filter.
always use a mech gauge. high pressure doesn`t mean high flow.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GIGAPUNK
The drop in pressure is a good thing...

It means that there is more flow.

Bernoulli's Principle tells us that as the fluid flows more quickly the pressure actually decreases rather than increases!

Fun with physics, gotta love it.
Not always good, it can mean there is too much clearance on a bearing or oil is seaping past the gasket back into the pan, remember ls1 oil filters connect through the gasket on the pan side. I had this happen once, but my pressure dropped to ~25psi at idle, ran the car for a minute and figured out something was wrong, dropped the pan and replaced that gasket and it was back to normal.

Quick Reply: ported oil pump, pressure dropped.