Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question with bigger cams and LSA...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question with bigger cams and LSA...

I am very interested in the MS3. The only thing that is pushing me away is that it will not make power untill later. So my question is, if you got a custom cam of the same grind and just made the LSA like 115 or 116, wouldnt that move the power band down a little into a more useful range. I could be way off but I was just wondering this. Thanks!!

Justin
Old 03-13-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nokeman
I am very interested in the MS3. The only thing that is pushing me away is that it will not make power untill later. So my question is, if you got a custom cam of the same grind and just made the LSA like 115 or 116, wouldnt that move the power band down a little into a more useful range. I could be way off but I was just wondering this. Thanks!!

Justin
You're not way off, just a little backwards. Here's how it works. A cam ground on a lower LSA will have lumpier idle and lower power band (often perceived as more torque) than the same cam on a wider LSA. A 115 will idle smoother than a 112, but its powerband will also be higher up in the RPM's.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

HAHA ok I knew that seemed a little awkward when I wrote it. Thanks for the clear up. So, theorhectically, could that work? Could I have a custom ground cam the same as the MS3 but lower the LSA so they power is down low?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

my sugestion would be a real ms3 and if your car is an auto then get a big stall and you will have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8banger
You're not way off, just a little backwards. Here's how it works. A cam ground on a lower LSA will have lumpier idle and lower power band (often perceived as more torque) than the same cam on a wider LSA. A 115 will idle smoother than a 112, but its powerband will also be higher up in the RPM's.
you're close, but not completely correct. using a narrower lsa (110) will push the peaks down, but make the curve peakier. using a wider lsa (116) will push the peaks up, flattening the curve in the process.

so...basically, if he wants more power under the curve, i would suggest a 114/115 lsa.

110 = sharper curve
115 = lazy curve (if you can picture those..) it makes sense when you actually look at 2 dynos of similar duration cams on different lsas.

also, the amount of advance/retard ground into the cam plays a role in its powercurve generation. adding advance will flatten the curve, but push the peak up a bit. retarding does the opposite..
Old 03-13-2006, 05:38 PM
FormerVendor

For being the big cam that the MS3 is, it does have good driveability. We have many customers that use this cam in their daily driver and have no problems, even A4 cars. With a big enough converter (if A4) and say 3.73 gear this cam will give you good driveability and great power with stock heads, nitrous, aftermarket heads...etc. If you need some pricing or any other questions you need to ask, feel free to pm me or give me a call!!

-Zach
Old 03-13-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by s346k
you're close, but not completely correct. using a narrower lsa (110) will push the peaks down, but make the curve peakier. using a wider lsa (116) will push the peaks up, flattening the curve in the process.

so...basically, if he wants more power under the curve, i would suggest a 114/115 lsa.

110 = sharper curve
115 = lazy curve (if you can picture those..) it makes sense when you actually look at 2 dynos of similar duration cams on different lsas.

also, the amount of advance/retard ground into the cam plays a role in its powercurve generation. adding advance will flatten the curve, but push the peak up a bit. retarding does the opposite..
Word, wider lsa will also carry more power past peak.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k

110 = sharper curve

I'll add a few that you missed on to.. "Tightening the LSA, (lower number) will tighten your power band. Widening the LSA (bigger number) will widen the power band, but, widening the LSA reduces valve overlap, which inturn effects power out put, so, in most cases, the tighter LSA out powers the wider. So in theory, the tighter LSA will make more power "under the curve". The wider LSA will make less power, but hold it a few 100 more rpm's longer.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so It could work if thought out and planned correctly. Zach...I will be contacting you guys in a couple months to get the MS3.PRC Dual kit once I can gather the funds.

The MS3 does have great drivability for how big it is and I have an M6 with 4.10's so drivability is not going to be an issue with me.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anybody ever tried this?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want the powerband to come on earlier then either add advance in the grind (106/108 ICL) or just grind the cam with tight LSA +0