Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

enlarged pushrod hole in head... please look... pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default enlarged pushrod hole in head... please look... pics inside

Well, I noticed a noise in the motor last time I went to drive the car. Brought it home and pulled the valve covers off hoping it was in the topend and not a knock in the bottom end. Here's what I found... its only on the #1 intake valves pushrod hole. Its a little elongated now. I'm not sure what happened but the noise I was hearing definately sounded like valvetrain issues and not the bottom end so that's good but I'm not sure what caused this. The pushrod is NOT bent, valve spring is NOT broken, and the rocker arm was tight and not messed up. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the lifter collapsed and allowed the pushrod to move around which then elongated the hole??? Thoughts/comments?!?!?!

*I'm running a TR230, stock lifters, hardened 7.4" TR pushrods, stock rocker arms, titanium retainers, comp 918's, and ported '98 heads.

**If this was caused by a lifter, could it just be because they have over 80k miles on them and I didn't replace them and I'm now revving this thing to almost 7k rpms or could something else be causing this?? Too much lifter preload possible?? How would I check that? I just want to get it all straightened out and fixed!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's just the photo, but it looks like some unusual wear on the tip of the pushrod.

If you're sure the roller bearings in the rocker are good and it isn't wobbling, it almost has to be an issue with the lifter, but if the issue is preload, it seems odd the problem would only occur on one pushrod.

I hate to say it, but I think you'd be wise to pull that head and check that lifter and cam lobe.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kenp
Maybe it's just the photo, but it looks like some unusual wear on the tip of the pushrod.

If you're sure the roller bearings in the rocker are good and it isn't wobbling, it almost has to be an issue with the lifter, but if the issue is preload, it seems odd the problem would only occur on one pushrod.

I hate to say it, but I think you'd be wise to pull that head and check that lifter and cam lobe.
The 2 pushrods I've pulled looked fine... both had nice wear spots on the ends of them... lifter end had a small round wear spot and the rocker arm end had a bigger roung wear spot... both were very consistent circular wear patterns.

As for the rocker arms... I'm kinda wondering about them. I've read some horror stories about stock rocker arms lately. These do have alot of miles on them. In noticed both rocker arms off of the #1 cylinder had some play in them. Basically the center section (where it pivots and where the bolt goes through) could be moved up and down inside the rocker arm "housing"... I'm not sure that is normal. Maybe I can post a pic with arrows on it describing what I'm talking about...
Old 03-23-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You definatly have some geometry problems there.

Looks like the rocker is setting the pushrod at an angle (high rpm).

From what you explain, the rockers are worn out.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA91
The 2 pushrods I've pulled looked fine... both had nice wear spots on the ends of them... lifter end had a small round wear spot and the rocker arm end had a bigger roung wear spot... both were very consistent circular wear patterns.

As for the rocker arms... I'm kinda wondering about them. I've read some horror stories about stock rocker arms lately. These do have alot of miles on them. In noticed both rocker arms off of the #1 cylinder had some play in them. Basically the center section (where it pivots and where the bolt goes through) could be moved up and down inside the rocker arm "housing"... I'm not sure that is normal. Maybe I can post a pic with arrows on it describing what I'm talking about...
id say its a rocker issue as well.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:56 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is not normal at all. The fact that you could be putting 2 pushrods into that hole is troubling. I would consider a new head, because repair would only lead to disaster. Might as well drop the coin on the good stuff and hope all is well in the bottom end. You know that worn metal had to go somewhere and I am willing to bet that it is just hanging out in your windage tray or else where in the bottom end. When is the last time you changed/looked at your oil or oil plug? And yeah, 7k spins could have something to do with your problems as well.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Well thats intresting to see, as a few months ago I purchased a new set of stage 2 heads from a well known forum sponsor and I have simular holes in every pushrod hole out of the box new, is that a manufacturing fault as I am getting some metal to metal contact on the pushrods and side of the hole, also getting other problems with the heads but thats a seperate problem.

Moderators Can I mention where I got the heads from.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Launching!

o_O GenIII I would dare to say that is not normal.... sounds like a manufacturing flaw to me.

There's no reason why you can't say where you got them, everybody else does it,
maybe they'll chime in on it anyway.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
o_O GenIII I would dare to say that is not normal.... sounds like a manufacturing flaw to me.

There's no reason why you can't say where you got them, everybody else does it,
maybe they'll chime in on it anyway.
OK here goes they where purchased new from SUMMIT RACING. they are a set of PATRIOT STAGE 2 assembled heads. they were installed about a month ago, having nothing but problems with them. I looked over the heads and noticed that the holes for the pushrods were a lot larger than normal like 2 circles per hole. First thought that it could be for different pushrod angles for different valve train setups. Then about a week ago took the covers off to check valve train is all ok and to find out why coolant was leaking out of the header stud holes. Pulled the pushrods out and noticed 8 pushrods had heavy wear marks at the same point where the rod holes where on both sides surely thats not normal. Im here in Australia and cost a lot to ship over so what are my options. cheers
Old 03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
That is not normal at all. The fact that you could be putting 2 pushrods into that hole is troubling. I would consider a new head, because repair would only lead to disaster.
You're kidding right?? Why in the hell would I buy new heads just because that hole is enlarged... its not hurting a damn thing.... whatever caused it is the problem...
Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

Guys, can we please not hijack my thread.... back on topic please.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTA91
Guys, can we please not hijack my thread.... back on topic please.
OOPs sorry got carried awy abit
Old 03-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Launching!

GTA91, calm down brotha.
GenIII, start a new thread if you'd like.

I think you should pull the head and see what's on the table. Depending on the way it wore the head, you might actually need to replace it.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FunkyTownFBody
GTA91, calm down brotha.
GenIII, start a new thread if you'd like.

I think you should pull the head and see what's on the table. Depending on the way it wore the head, you might actually need to replace it.
I'm calm... its just aggravating when someone hijacks... that's all.

*At this point I'm not sure what to do. I have a feeling I'll end up pulling the heads and doing new lifters and rockers along with a bigger cam if I've got it taken down that far. We'll see... I still want to know what caused this. Can I buy one new rocker from the GM dealer to compare?? I'm curious how much "play" they have in them when new...
Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?!?!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a whole set of rockers I pulled out of my Cad.

Less then 10k miles.

If you want to work out something, you can pm me.

As for the head, you didn't stress anything except a pushrod and the side of a hole.

Here is a good test.

Remove the pushrod and remount the rocker.

It should only move up and down on the ends.

It shouldn't move in any other direction from any other point, and that includes the pivot (which shouldn't have any play).
Old 03-24-2006, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by heavymetals
I have a whole set of rockers I pulled out of my Cad.

Less then 10k miles.

If you want to work out something, you can pm me.

As for the head, you didn't stress anything except a pushrod and the side of a hole.

Here is a good test.

Remove the pushrod and remount the rocker.

It should only move up and down on the ends.

It shouldn't move in any other direction from any other point, and that includes the pivot (which shouldn't have any play).
Yeah, I'm going to remount the rocker without a pushrod under it and see if I can wiggle it around much. I already talked to Harland Sharp today... might get a set of their rockers... not sure.

*PM me a price for your stockers if you don't mind.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

As far as the hole being elongated I dont see it causing any problems. I bent a pushrod on my car and the hole looked very similiar to that and it has caused no problems for over 30,000 miles since I replaced the pushrod.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Drew's TA
As far as the hole being elongated I dont see it causing any problems. I bent a pushrod on my car and the hole looked very similiar to that and it has caused no problems for over 30,000 miles since I replaced the pushrod.
I definately agree...

Quick Reply: enlarged pushrod hole in head... please look... pics inside