Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bad raising cam duration without raising compression ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
if that cam is on a 108 icl, it HAS to have 4* of duration ground into it. that is where you get 112 lsa...

one reason people might keep compression down in a ground up build is to maintain the use of pump gas. not everyone wants to run cam 2 race fuel..
I run 12.8:1 on 93 at 28 degrees of timing. The DCR is still only 8.6:1. I wouldn't go much further, just because it'd be too hard to keep it cool. So, yeah, you can run a lot more than 11.0:1 with a huge cam.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
No, you leave some on the table with the larger cams for sure, but they are an economical way to increase power on an otherwise untouched motor. But a lot of times, people wonder why they don't make the power they want with their cam-only setups and that's why. That's also why a 224 cam with a tight LSA makes equivalent numbers to a 234 cam with a longer LSA--the DCR is so low on the 234, it doesn't matter that lots of air is getting into the engine that it doesn't produce nearly as an effecient setup in an otherwise stock engine.

With a fully built engine, it's stupid to keep compression down near stock, because the camshafts are much larger and the discplacement is a lot bigger thereby pushing the DCR way down below an acceptable level.
Okay, I understand what you are saying. From your first post, I thought you were saying it would harm the motor doing so. You are just saying that there is a lot more power it could make if one were to up the compression.
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Restricted User

Jake what is your opinion on this... I am running 12.5:1 CR on my 408. The my cam is a Comp XE-r 244/248 112 +4. Is that a good choice for my setup or would something else be better or worth while to swap it out??? My new heads are coming this week and are ETP 225's.. Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
Jake what is your opinion on this... I am running 12.5:1 CR on my 408. The my cam is a Comp XE-r 244/248 112 +4. Is that a good choice for my setup or would something else be better or worth while to swap it out??? My new heads are coming this week and are ETP 225's.. Thanks
That's a lot of DCR, around 9.2:1. I bet it peaks around 5700-5800, also. I actually like the 244/248 XE-R, but I prefer to run a wider LSA and not much advance, because the compression helps out, so you can move the powerband up to a 6300-6400 peak and get a little more out of it without sacrificing too much in the midrange (low end doesn't matter in a stalled auto). But if you are running it now and your cooling system and current quench fight off detonation, I'd keep on running it. However, if you are not running this yet, I would definitely go with a 244/248 114+1 to make more peak power and give a smoother idle on the A4. The higher ICL will also take better advantage of the heads. Of course, if you have the cam sitting there, just retard it 3-5 degrees and let her rip.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Junkie

No, you leave some on the table with the larger cams for sure, but they are an economical way to increase power on an otherwise untouched motor. But a lot of times, people wonder why they don't make the power they want with their cam-only setups and that's why. That's also why a 224 cam with a tight LSA makes equivalent numbers to a 234 cam with a longer LSA--the DCR is so low on the 234, it doesn't matter that lots of air is getting into the engine that it doesn't produce nearly as an effecient setup in an otherwise stock engine.

With a fully built engine, it's stupid to keep compression down near stock, because the camshafts are much larger and the discplacement is a lot bigger thereby pushing the DCR way down below an acceptable level.
Bravo! Exactly why i stayed with the 228/228 cam when I went with my unmilled, stock valved, stock gasket TSP LS6 heads.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Restricted User

That's a lot of DCR, around 9.2:1. I bet it peaks around 5700-5800, also. I actually like the 244/248 XE-R, but I prefer to run a wider LSA and not much advance, because the compression helps out, so you can move the powerband up to a 6300-6400 peak and get a little more out of it without sacrificing too much in the midrange (low end doesn't matter in a stalled auto). But if you are running it now and your cooling system and current quench fight off detonation, I'd keep on running it. However, if you are not running this yet, I would definitely go with a 244/248 114+1 to make more peak power and give a smoother idle on the A4. The higher ICL will also take better advantage of the heads. Of course, if you have the cam sitting there, just retard it 3-5 degrees and let her rip.
The cam is already in there. I am just going to be adding the new heads. I will put in an adjustable timing set and retard it 4 degrees.

Quick Reply: Is it bad raising cam duration without raising compression ratio?