Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to clean cylinders with before bolting heads down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to clean cylinders with before bolting heads down?

I want to be sure all of the debis and other crap is out of my cylinders before I bolt the heads down. I already used the shop-vac to get out the loose stuff, but I'd like to use some sort of cleaner and a rag to get the harder to get stuff. Would something like carb cleaner work? Or maybe WD-40 or Triflow?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are talking about the carbon deposits on the pistons, seafoam and wd40 do a good job loosing it up, but it still take quite a bit of elbow grease to get it all off.

I wouldn't use strong solvents.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
if you are talking about the carbon deposits on the pistons, seafoam and wd40 do a good job loosing it up, but it still take quite a bit of elbow grease to get it all off.

I wouldn't use strong solvents.
No, not the pistons, the cylinder walls.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I just hit the cylinder walls with a generous shot of WD 40 and wiped them clean. Can you post a pic of what you're talking about?

Edit: Pulled the excess out with a shop vac before wiping.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

We've always used transmission fluid and a clean, lint free rag.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for ATF
Old 05-08-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is there debris there anyway? When I did my HC swap the bores did not get anything in there. If there is debris in there the easiest way is to coat the bores that are at BTDC with regular motor oil and turn the engine over with a ratchet on the pulley. Once all 8 bores are done you will see that the oil on the cylinder wall will attract the dirt and it can be wiped out. Have a helper slowly turn the motor over by hand with you wiping the debris off the walls when the piston is on the downstroke. HTH

Why the ATF? I don't see the purpose. It's thinner in viscosity than engine oil and has less additives.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
Why is there debris there anyway? When I did my HC swap the bores did not get anything in there. If there is debris in there the easiest way is to coat the bores that are at BTDC with regular motor oil and turn the engine over with a ratchet on the pulley. Once all 8 bores are done you will see that the oil on the cylinder wall will attract the dirt and it can be wiped out. Have a helper slowly turn the motor over by hand with you wiping the debris off the walls when the piston is on the downstroke. HTH

Why the ATF? I don't see the purpose. It's thinner in viscosity than engine oil and has less additives.
I'd do that but I'm afraid of any of the small pieces of junk that came out of the head bolt holes would get past the rings or somehow damage them. I'm sure I'm overreacting, but I want to get rid of this crap before I turn the motor over.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was always under the impression that it was higher detergent than motor oil. Also, I would think it would burn off quicker than motor oil because it wouldn't leave as much of an oily film in the cylinders or on the rings. Motor oil would work just as good.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

i'd say your over-reacting. i usually just wipe them down with a clean rag and then let em roll.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
I was always under the impression that it was higher detergent than motor oil. Also, I would think it would burn off quicker than motor oil because it wouldn't leave as much of an oily film in the cylinders or on the rings. Motor oil would work just as good.
I agree, people have been putting ATF in the crankcase to clean the inside of an engine for decades. Really, any of the above methods will work, just don't use a crappy rag and after the motor has been run change the oil.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, people have been putting ATF in the crankcase to clean the inside of an engine for decades.
I assume these are your average redneck mechanics doing this. Next time you see a virgin analysis of ATF vs standard motor oil you'll see that ATF does not even have HALF the additives of a conventional motor oil.